British boxer dies after win

koquerelle

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I assumed it was posted but didn’t get a hit the search engine. Just in case: http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/43196287

Sorry if it’s been posted

British boxer Scott Westgarth has died in hospital after falling ill following a light-heavyweight fight in Doncaster on Saturday.

The 31-year-old won the eliminator bout on points against Dec Spelman.

He appeared to be in pain during post-fight interviews and was then taken to hospital after falling ill backstage.

The rest of the show, headlined by Curtis Woodhouse who was due to fight in a Commonwealth light-welterweight title eliminator, was cancelled.

Westgarth, who was the underdog going into Saturday's bout, was chasing an English title fight.

His previous record was six wins, two losses and a draw.

This stuff is just normal routine in boxing, even the way how it happens it's the same: fighter feels weird after the match, headache that doesn't go away and get worse as time goes, fighter goes to the hospital and they discover swelling in the brain, the fighter get put in an induced coma, emergency surgery to save his life.

Very sad when it happens. It just highlights that boxing can have serious consequences for your health and that I have the utmost respect for anyone that steps into that ring knowing what might happen.

i never heard of it happening after a win although i'm positive it has.

Hate to see shit like this. Makes me feel guilty for being a fan.

He was fighting because he loves the sport. Rest In Peace, and condolences to his family. So sad.

VEry sad. The reality is that boxing one of few life or death sports we still accept. The price of glory is great.

Just a normal guy that worked and trained 3 or 4 miles from where I live. Big shame and very sad.

Damn shame. RIP and thoughts with his family. People tend to forget what a dangerous sport this is until something like this happens

I always thought it odd when people acted outraged over Tyson biting Holyfield's ear. They didn't really get that they bash each others brains often until one of them can't get up and sometimes they die.

Last edited:
RIP

I sometimes ask myself how I watch this stuff. Then I remember the fighter can't have it any other way, they are a different breed, watch so they get paid. It's still sad none the less though, to see death or life changing brain injury, the damage as a result to this "sport".

RIP

I sometimes ask myself how I watch this stuff. Then I remember the fighter can't have it any other way, they are a different breed, watch so they get paid. It's still sad none the less though, to see death or life changing brain injury, the damage as a result to this "sport".

Suffering a bad concussion early on made me reconsider boxing, and this is ultimately one of the reasons why I stopped competing. Too brutal. Boxing is definitely not for everyone.

Sad.

It's time for boxing to go. It's an absolutely pathetic form of combat. Shoes...big silly gloves which help people protect their hands while causing more brain damage. Stupid belly protection. Just punching.

It's a sport for retards. The only thing keeping it alive are the old men with money that love to gamble and grew up watching this pathetic form of combat.

It's only a matter of time before this basic sport is gone.
all of the fighting sports and any sport where there are fatalities should go to then.

Sad.

It's time for boxing to go. It's an absolutely pathetic form of combat. Shoes...big silly gloves which help people protect their hands while causing more brain damage. Stupid belly protection. Just punching.

It's a sport for retards. The only thing keeping it alive are the old men with money that love to gamble and grew up watching this pathetic form of combat.

Come on man, you can do better than that. Try again, I'm rooting for you!

Last edited:
Sad.

Speaking of retards,...you might want to check a mirror.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.
Very sad.
It can happen, but thankfully it is as rare as chicken teeth---when taken in context and number of participants worldwide.

Good one.

Thanks, but I'm sorry. I mean, you are clearly walking around with a shunt to make such statements and I shouldn't say such things.

Have a nice evening, Corky.

Thanks for the support pal. Boxing is indeed for the mentally challenged.

If you're gonna troll a thread about a guy dying you gotta do better. Maybe you can't do any better than that b/c you're unfunny AND an asshole? That's not a good combo imo.

Back