british bands sounding american when they sing, american bands sounding british

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
led zeppelin, floyd, acdc (yeah australia I know) sound american

then you have the killers, the ramones, the cars, etc sound british.

whats the deal

Singer from Rancid seems to try very hard to sound British.

For British singers I think accents are just less discernable which makes them sound American and not a conscious effort.

It's partly to do with the culture of the music, pop comes from blues, an American invention.

Party that when we sing we sound more neutral, it just happens middle American is more neutral.

The rancid singer was probably just sounding punk, a British invention.

Who knows?They are highly adaptable aliens,maybe...

It's almost impossible to sing certain songs correctly with a British accent. The rhythm, the cadence, the timing, etc. would all be off. Even if the singer isn't consciously trying to sound "American" or "black" or whatever, it will likely come out that way in order to sing the song right. That said, there are regional accents in music, like a white Southern or twangy accent in country music, or black Southern in blues and soul and R&B, or Jamaican/Caribbean in reggae and related forms of music. That's why Australian country singer Keith Urban has a thick Aussie accent when he speaks, but sounds like he's from Tennessee when he sings, or why British neo-soul singer Amy Winehouse sounded like a black woman when she sang (many people noted similarities with black American singer Lauryn Hill), but like a typical white British woman from the south of England when she spoke. And like others have said, a "neutral" accent in singing will sound more "American" than anything else.

I always felt like green day sounded british

If your favorite artists are British, then the sound you put out will match that. American boy loves British band. Sings along with British band as a kid. Does cover of British band as a teenager. Starts his own band and sounds like a combination of his favorite singers who were British.

Or they just go all Madonna and think they're actually British.

They should all be trying to sound like the cookie monster IMO

If your favorite artists are British, then the sound you put out will match that. American boy loves British band. Sings along with British band as a kid. Does cover of British band as a teenager. Starts his own band and sounds like a combination of his favorite singers who were British.

Or they just go all Madonna and think they're actually British.

I think she picked up the accent when she was sucking out Guy Ritches lifeforce.

Last edited:
Obviously they want to sound like whatever insulted them and they are trying too hard to do that. My question is why do all the 80s alternate I've singers sound like they have blocked sinuses?

The most famous punk bands are from UK.

Ramones? Stooges? New York Dolls? The term punk originated in the US as well, and CBGBs played a huge part. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that punk is a "British genre". That's insane.

Back