Britain to world: please pretend we are not leaving EU

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...lease-pretend-we-are-not-leaving-eu-1.3386401

Britain to world: please pretend we are not leaving EU

Government note calls on non-EU nations to treat UK like a bloc member post-Brexit

Britain has a message for the rest of the world after Brexit next year: please pretend we are still in the EU.

A “technical note” prepared by the British government calls on non-EU nations to treat the UK during its post-Brexit transition period after March 2019 as if it was still covered by more than 700 treaties Brussels has struck with third countries on everything from fishing rights to data sharing.

“To coin a phrase, they are going to tell the world that Brexit does not mean Brexit,” said one EU official.

Unless a deal is reached to keep the UK fully covered by such international agreements, Britain risks being bound by the obligations of the treaties during its post-Brexit transition period, without enjoying any of the benefits. The prospect is leading to a scramble in Whitehall to try to find a solution.

The paper published on Thursday represents an about-turn in the UK’s approach to the agreements, which it initially attempted to replicate with UK-only bilateral deals with the relevant countries.

Under the revised British plan, third countries would agree to “interpret relevant terms in the international agreements, such as ‘European Union’ or ‘EU member state’ to include the UK”.

“This approach is underpinned by international law and practice,” the document said, adding that it “represents the simplest way of ensuring the continued application of these agreements” during the post-Brexit transition period, which is set to run until the end of 2020.

Sam Lowe, a research fellow at the Centre for European Reform, said the move marked a U-turn from previous British policy to renegotiate UK-only versions of the deals.

“It is not great for our credibility as a reliable negotiation partner,” he tweeted.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, warned last month that there was no guarantee that the UK would be able to continue benefiting from the agreements once it left the EU. He said that was something in the gift of the 100-plus countries with whom Brussels had negotiated the agreements.

“Our partners around the world may have their own views on this,” he said.

Full article at link.

Lol, hell no. Tine for some of that america first i keep hearing about

I've been reading the Daily Mail, a UK tabloid, a lot over the last few months and have been studying British people. The UK is divided into factions of "Brexiters" and "Remainers" (aka Remoaners). Their Prime Minister is supposed to be following through with Brexit, but actually wanted to stay in Europe so she's waffling and undercutting the process. Most of the Brexiters want to replace her, carry it through and ally with the United States.

The Remainers are generally neurotic and don't know where to place their anger. Sometimes arguing about economics and claiming that the UK will fail once it leaves, sometimes accusing Remainers of being crazy or racist, sometimes attacking the US. Perhaps like Democrats in the US if it was a faceless voting block that knocked them down instead of Trump.

Also, if they knew that Americans don't already know what's going on there, they would get really pissed off.

Last edited:
I've been reading the Daily Mail a lot over the last few months. The UK is divided into factions of "Brexiters" and "Remainers" (aka Remoaners). Their Prime Minister is supposed to be following through with Brexit, but actually wanted to stay in Europe so she's waffling and undercutting the process. Most of the Brexiters want to replace her, carry it through and ally with the United States.

Nobody wants the job of navigating through this shitfest. Even BoJo and Gove.

Nobody wants the job of navigating through this shitfest. Even BoJo and Gove.
We can't read their minds, but they sure seem to be positioning themselves to take the PM job. There's actually an article in the DM right now saying that Gove is angling for it.

If the Brexit showed us in the US anything at all, it's that we're not the only nation who has educationally failed it's populace.

People are afraid to stand on their own. It's quite pathetic. Thankfully Brexit is upon us. Once people realize that nothing in the world is going to change dramatically they'll start helping themselves instead of being parasites.

I've been reading the Daily Mail, a UK tabloid, a lot over the last few months and have been studying British people. The UK is divided into factions of "Brexiters" and "Remainers" (aka Remoaners). Their Prime Minister is supposed to be following through with Brexit, but actually wanted to stay in Europe so she's waffling and undercutting the process. Most of the Brexiters want to replace her, carry it through and ally with the United States.

The Remainers are generally neurotic and don't know where to place their anger. Sometimes arguing about economics and claiming that the UK will fail once it leaves, sometimes accusing Remainers of being crazy or racist, sometimes attacking the US. Perhaps like Democrats in the US if it was a faceless voting block that knocked them down instead of Trump.

Also, if they knew that Americans don't already know what's going on there, they would get really pissed off.
Daily mail is pretty much like a uk version of alex jones podcasts

Daily mail is pretty much like a uk version of alex jones podcasts
I've heard that before and I've seen that a lot of people in Britain get triggered over it. But it seems to be actually (based on some brief checking I did) the most read media source in the world, which means tons of comments, mostly from British people, which is good for my research into them.

I've heard that before and I've seen that a lot of people in Britain get triggered over it. But it seems to be actually (based on some brief checking I did) the most read media source in the world, which means tons of comments, mostly from British people, which is good for my research into them.

Id bet on SOHU. the biggest chinese one.

The content is actually less important than the audience size, for my purposes.
"tons of comments" from morons who read the daily mail, which is as credible as breitbart in the UK, these people actually take nigel farage seriously.
brexit was voted for by daily mail and sun readers basically, and now they are in denial about what it will mean , hell if the referendum was run again tommorow, enough would change their vote to swing the result the other way.
ultimately its the fault of lazy people who didnt vote at all, almost exclusively remainers, who assumed nobody would be stupid enough to vote leave
the government knows no matter how skillfully they negotiate, its a shitshow and the fallout is going to be unavoidable.

"tons of comments" from morons who read the daily mail, which is as credible as breitbart in the UK, these people actually take nigel farage seriously.
brexit was voted for by daily mail and sun readers basically, and now they are in denial about what it will mean , hell if the referendum was run again tommorow, enough would change their vote to swing the result the other way.
ultimately its the fault of lazy people who didnt vote at all, almost exclusively remainers, who assumed nobody would be stupid enough to vote leave
the government knows no matter how skillfully they negotiate, its a shitshow and the fallout is going to be unavoidable.

This BS, where people defend the idea that the UK has to cut its leg off to leave the EU, is insane.

Is the EU, a trade partnership, or a terrorist organization?

Because it seems to be acting like a terrorist organization, ensuring any other country is terrified to leave.

I guess Americans aren't the only ones with a cuck problem.

The answer to someone threatening you is to escalate, not retreat. Apparently the UK folk lost thier spine from WWII.

Embarassing, you'd think they'd have a shred of pride for having the courage to leave the EU. Undermining the importance of the Brexit vote seems like a massive middle finger to all the individuals who voted to leave.

This BS, where people defend the idea that the UK has to cut its leg off to leave the EU, is insane.

Is the EU, a trade partnership, or a terrorist organization?

Because it seems to be acting like a terrorist organization, ensuring any other country is terrified to leave.

I guess Americans aren't the only ones with a cuck problem.

The answer to someone threatening you is to escalate, not retreat. Apparently the UK folk lost thier spine from WWII.

Escalate? How exactly. You mean cut off all trade with the EU?

This is what happens when you leave a party that was against a referendum in power to carry out said referendum. The U.K. is pretty fucked politically -- both domestically and internationally.

Back