Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by legkicktko, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Ronin13

Ronin13 Green Belt

I’m starting to wonder what an Ortega championship reign would look like.

2. ImNotSurpisedDonks!

ImNotSurpisedDonks! Silver Belt

The only way to not be weak is to get huge before you enter the UFC (Brock) or be a unicorn like Conor that gets bigger than the UFC. Conor got that way by being the perfect contractor tho, helping out the UFC and they would help him, so it is a double edged sword. UFC 200 revealed just how willing the UFC was to scratch his back in return after he totally destroyed himself meeting their demands.

3. Shree_kumar

Shree_kumar White Belt

Yeah he should be as dumb as Frankie Edgar shouldnt he?

Ortega had the number one contender spot, already knocked out Frankie on a short notice fight before this, annddddd offered to go up in weight to fight Khabib previously in another short notice fight..You get one shot in this sport and Ortega had already put himself on the line
    (risk wise) twice recently..

4. mikesparrow

mikesparrow Blue Belt

I agree. I rarely stand behind Dana, but this time he is right. I also think that to deserve a contract with UFC, you as a professional fighter should fight whom ever they put in front of you in your weight class. There should be no asking who you wanna fight. And if you refuse to fight... well, you should face the punishment.

5. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

conjectures
    oh yeah, these guys have all the leverage unless you are a big star.
    that's why I'm talking about just a small percentage of his show money. he has all his training camp that he needs to pay. how expensive it is? I don't know. and let's remind ourselves the ufc only pays like 13% of the revenue to the fighters. it's not like they would go broke doing that

FrankieNYC likes this.
  6. FrankieNYC

FrankieNYC "My balls was hot!" Platinum Member

it jumped to a whopping 17% in 2016 (no idea about 2017 yet) lol

But I agree
    Thing is, in this instance they had a fighter on standby ready to go.
    Then Ortega still said no.
    It was pretty known they had a backup plan ready.
    So in this case WME said "f-him"
    Of course they could easily throw him $25k without hurting the bottom line, but that is the difference between sole proprietors (Fertittas) & a conglomerate (current day owners).
    But Dana said they will talk in another week.
    My guess is whatever next fight they make, he will get a small bump in pay.
    that dana can do
    Paying a fighter for not fighting is on WME

tithas, Mike and Toco like this.
  7. Wise1

Wise1 Brown Belt

I literally went from singing his praises to a f*** that guy attitude. He all but ruined a card I was very, very excited for. Him vs a last minute replacement Jeremy would have all but made up for Max falling out and that card would have still been as intriguing but no, he’s big time now and can’t be bothered. He’s got RDJ’s phone number people.

8. Sinthesized

Sinthesized Brown Belt

He could've accepted a fight and got paid, instead he sat on the sidelines THEN expects pay? What a dunce.

9. JoshR86

JoshR86 Black Belt

MM tried it with TJ, the UFC refused, and now he's considered a duck

10. Entram

Entram It's only gay if you make eye contact.

Treated fairly? They gave him a chance at a payday. He said no, I went to college (training camp) to prepare for a new job but I don't show on the first day (fight night) do I deserve to get paid?

11. BIKES!

BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

Right, but the fix is simply to add the caveat, you will be paid show money for involuntary fight cancellations if a replacement fight was not offered.

It’s complete bull shit to not pay fighters for canceled fights for no reason of their own.

12. th Fireball Kid

th Fireball Kid Green Belt

Dude still got that ghetto attitude, wants to get a free school lunch

AnulSlayer likes this.
  13. th Fireball Kid

th Fireball Kid Green Belt

But there was a fight available...,

14. legkicktko

legkicktko Brown Belt

It’s in the standard UFC contract.

When max pulled out, they owed him nothing more than a replacement. If there was no replacement he’d get paid, but he turned down two replacements.
    5F01B27D-6B04-4834-A98D-B2751E1B42D1.png

Mike likes this.
  15. YellowBanenoo

YellowBanenoo Black Belt

That's what he gets for not being a company man.

UFC, just like any other enterprise, is a business that requires its members to sacrifice a portion of their individual needs for the benefit of the company as a whole. If the members comply with such demand, they are usually compensated handsomely in a various form monetary rewards or promotion. In the case of Ortega, he could've positioned himself as Dana's new favorite fighter which would've lead him to an endless opportunities in terms of obtaining a title shot when its available as well as signing a better contract in the future. However, he let these slipped through his fingers, because he was too blinded by the fear of losing what was in front of him at that moment.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  16. aokimasaru

aokimasaru Green Belt

Ortega is doing it the wrong way. Dana won't give him favors if that is how he does business.

dmwalking likes this.
  17. BIKES!

BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

Yup, that’s why he shouldn’t get paid

dmwalking likes this.
  18. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Pretty much. If he wanted to get paid, he should have fought. If you're really the best, you should be willing to prove you're the best. If anything just ask for an immediate rematch clause.

19. fractal

fractal 93andbeyond.com

You are asked to create a promo video. You are given a product, the message, etc. The agreement is you will get paid once the promo is shown to the public. You are given a 3 month deadline.
    So you get everything ready, demo the promo to the company, do all your due diligence.
    Then 2 days before the showing, you are told, the message will be the same, but the product label has changed, so you need to redo a bunch of the stuff. For what took you weeks to prepare, you are expected to change in 2 days. Does that seem fair to you?

Now yeah you can say how life is not fair and the person shouldn't have signed the contract if he didn't agree to the terms, but that doesn't make the contract reasonable. The problem is it's the only contract available. So either take it, or find another line of work. The UFC monopoly has essentially given them authority to mistreat fighters.

Ortega should absolutely compensated for his work. Maybe not the full amount, but at least his show money or part of it. The issue is that they are paid entirely to fight, and not to make weight, or fill other media obligations.

20. tramendous

tramendous Red Belt

unless they offered to pay him more for taking another opponent on short notice that is BS. He trained and prepared to fight Holloway. He promoted fighting Holloway. Changing up opponents on someone at the last second and then having them say no should not be grounds for not paying them. UFC contracts are shit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Possum likes this.