Brian Ebersole Retires...

Hey guys,

Thought I'd pop in and say g'day. Humbled to even see a thread about me. Thanks for the support and sorry for not proving to be lightning in a bottle in each UFC bout.

For accuracy' sake,

My first UFC fight was the only one i fought with a healthy lower back. I had major issues from that fight onward.

I didn't lose to Claude Patrick!! ;)

I was never much over 200 (and that was me being chubby), so many of my heavyweight fights were my opponent being a heavyweight while I was in the 190's. This was before sanctioning bodies, largely.

I retired from the UFC, my body wasn't up to it any longer. My brain knew certain movements were painful, and trained itself to avoid them. I found I couldn't really override that safety mechanism. Changed my wrestling, changed my game. But I was stubborn for awhile, kept playing.

I had one last bout in Australia. Barely a sparring session, I just spent time on bottom and lost a decision. Thankfully I didn't tear anything up in my neck/back and went home healthy. :)

I was a bright kid going to university. Made deans list. May have talked like a jock though.

I was a likely tired or drunk so I likely didn't help my reputation as a scholar, there!!

I'm well different than I was in university. I'm not as shortsighted, my priorities have changed, and I'm much less aggressive in manner.

I don't feel I stutter, though I've always said "um" a fair bit when talking on a subject that makes me think before speaking. From public speaking to interviews or personal conversations, I've always made that sound as a bit of a pause to think.

Thanks for all the support, and for those that didn't enjoy each fight - thanks for the motivation. Just know that we don't always feel we played well either. Hearing it can sure motivate a training camp!

I'm off to play coach now, as thankfully I've found a role in the sport. I did leave school, very close to graduating, to move to AKA in 2003. So if not for coaching, I'd be in a factory! And working toward graduating via online courses, most likely.

Will lurk on the forums here and again. Feel free to fire off any further questions. Happy to answer next time I'm around.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd pop in and say g'day. Humbled to even see a thread about me. Thanks for the support and sorry for not proving to be lightning in a bottle in each UFC bout.

For accuracy' sake,

My first UFC fight was the only one i fought with a healthy lower back. I had major issues from that fight onward.

I was never much over 200 (and that was me being chubby), so many of my heavyweight fights were my opponent being a heavyweight while I was in the 190's. This was before sanctioning bodies, largely.

I retired from the UFC, my body wasn't up to it any longer. My brain knew certain movements were painful, and trained itself to avoid them. I found I couldn't really override that safety mechanism. Changed my wrestling, changed my game. But I was stubborn for awhile, kept playing.

I had one last bout in Australia. Barely a sparring session, I just spent time on bottom and lost a decision. Thankfully I didn't tear anything up in my neck/back and went home healthy. :)

I was a bright kid going to university. Made deans list. May have talked like a jock though.

I was a likely tired or drunk so I likely didn't help my reputation as a scholar, there!!

I'm well different than I was in university. I'm not as shortsighted, my priorities have changed, and I'm much less aggressive in manner.

I don't feel I stutter, though I've always said "um" a fair bit when talking on a subject that makes me think before speaking. From public speaking to interviews or personal conversations, I've always made that sound as a bit of a pause to think.

Thanks for all the support, and for those that didn't enjoy each fight - thanks for the motivation. Just know that we don't always feel we played well either. Hearing it can sure motivate a training camp!

I'm off to play coach now, as thankfully I've found a role in the sport. I did leave school, very close to graduating, to move to AKA in 2003. So if not for coaching, I'd be in a factory! And working toward graduating via online courses, most likely.

Will lurk on the forums here and again. Feel free to fire off any further questions. Happy to answer next time I'm around.

Brian,

Congratulations on a crazy long career in the toughest sport in the world and also making it into the UFC.

One of the things that I envy of fighters is the travel and perspective you gain from it. When fighting took you on a journey, what destination sticks out the furthest in your mind and for whatever reason?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

For accuracy' sake,

you are a true legend sir. your fight against chris lytle was absolutely flawless.

@brian ebersole

Humanity thanks you for getting rid of speedos in US mma scene once and for all. I still like Hallman doe.

Best of luck.

Hey guys,

For accuracy' sake,

Good luck in your future endeavours. I've never met you but I have seen you in person. You came to New Zealand to corner one of your guys, I was at that event, random fact but there it is.

[QUOTE="Will lurk on the forums here and again. Feel free to fire off any further questions. Happy to answer next time I'm around.[/QUOTE]

Hay what was it like fighting a OG like Carlos Newton? the man was one of the original MMA pioneers.

Good luck in your post fighting endeavors, I always enjoyed watching guys try and fail at putting you down for a nap...lol.

Shifting gears, once you cut down on the high impact activities your back will be so much easier to manage. That's my .02 cents anyway from a retired Paratroop that did the last 10 years of my career with major back/neck issues, I now seem much more functional for everyday life and daily pain is minimal. I wish you great success in your coaching career and future health... BT

Hey guys,

For accuracy' sake,

Good luck in retirement! Any chance of seeing you back at Tiger Muay Thai?

Back