Brexit News & Discussion v6: EU Leaders Go to Battle Over Plugging Post-Brexit Budget Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

De Jure isnt De facto.

If Northern Ireland can pull it off is because they have an EU member backing them up.

The opposite is true with Scotland, they have an EU member opposing them.

Scotland has no way to negotiate such an arrangement with the UK, if they threaten to leave the UK Spain will make sure they never get EU membership.

In other words the people of NI who voted for the GFA referendum (71%) get what they wanted, no border on the island of Ireland.

I've always maintained that Brexit was a self inflicted disaster in the making, once the GFA is protected I don't really care what Britain does now.

Yeah, I don't know. I mean I am glad for Ireland that there is no border etc. That seems to be the cornerstone of peace.
I am just not sure of the implication of that kind of arrangement. Because this all still has to be voted on in the UK and from the EU member states.
This shows that its possible for selected regions to effectively stay in the EU. This might not be a welcomed deal by countries like Spain or France that have independence movement in some regions.
Or from the UK so many things that could go wrong like Scotland want the same. Or NI not wanting to be separated from the rest of the UK etc.

As is stand right now. I am having a hard time believing this will pass all the necessary votes?

De Jure isnt De facto.

If Northern Ireland can pull it off is because they have an EU member backing them up.

The opposite is true with Scotland, they have an EU member opposing them.

Scotland has no way to negotiate such an arrangement with the UK, if they threaten to leave the UK Spain will make sure they never get EU membership.

That proves my point entirely.

Raul Romeva is a pro-independentist Catalonian who is currently in prison accused of rebellion. Being supported by Catalonians is actually a drawback for the Scots.

Last edited:
That proves my point entirely.

Raul Romeva is a pro-independentist Catalonian who is currently in prison accused of rebellion. Being supported by Catalonians is actually a drawback for the Scots.

MY bad, just picked the first link that came up but it was discussed a few months ago in the thread.

Spain has said it would not veto an attempt by an independent Scotland to join the EU, in a boost to Nicola Sturgeon’s campaign for a second independence referendum and the clearest sign yet that Brexit has softened Madrid’s longstanding opposition to Scottish independence.

Alfonso Dastis, the Spanish foreign minister, made it clear that the government would not block an independent Scotland’s EU hopes, although he stressed that Madrid would not welcome the disintegration of the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-to-impose-veto-if-scotland-tries-to-join-eu

I guess this deal went the Scaramucci road and only lasted for 4 hours.
So the EU had to postpone the deadline again. That shows a bit of the shadiness from the EU when they negotiate out of a stronger position.
They just simply postpone decisions until the other Party has no option other than to accept the EU condition. I am sure the EU leaked the details to the press so NI would make it clear they don't like it.
When the EU needed Turkey for the refugee deal that stuff was signed in like 20 minutes.

It doesn't help that the UK itself is a Union with different interest.

Is it me do do tweets not show up properly on this forum? I only get the image and very top.

They said they wont, but they also said that Scotland would need to get at the back of the line.

They also said that the independence ought to be constitutional and legal, and i dont know how that actually works in the UK, can one of the regions unilaterally secede?

Scotland is a part of the EU for now, it shouldn't be that difficult to continue if agreed.

No, the last time someone tried that it led to the Irish War of Indepence. The UK is not as democratic as the EU.

I guess this deal went the Scaramucci road and only lasted for 4 hours.
So the EU had to postpone the deadline again. That shows a bit of the shadiness from the EU when they negotiate out of a stronger position.
They just simply postpone decisions until the other Party has no option other than to accept the EU condition. I am sure the EU leaked the details to the press so NI would make it clear they don't like it.
When the EU needed Turkey for the refugee deal that stuff was signed in like 20 minutes.

It doesn't help that the UK itself is a Union with different interest.

The fault lies squarely with the UK, a deal was agreed in Dublin between the Irish and British governments and May went Brussels to tell the EU this. Then during these talks she turned around and said they had no agreement.
It just shows what Ireland has been saying all along, the UK's word cannot be trusted and its not showing impartiality towards NI ( as agreed too in the GFA ) because of a bunch of twats , that were the only political party in NI to campaign against the GFA and for Brexit, have them by the balls.

Is it me do do tweets not show up properly on this forum? I only get the image and very top.

100% it's your web browser.

Firefox can handle all twitter/facebook/youtube embeds with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back