Brexit News & Discussion v6: EU Leaders Go to Battle Over Plugging Post-Brexit Budget Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think this is going well for the UK?

Like Lord Buckethead said, it is going to be a shit show, that nobody has a solution too. And unless they can find a solution to the border in Ireland, Ireland will veto any deal that does not respect the GFA. So lets see how they work it out.

Brexit-Border-paradox.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why Theresa May even want this thankless job, to be honest.

Yeah, thats a lose/lose situation. Besides the lousy position of leaving the EU. Its also a 50/50 issue so no matter what at least 50% are not going to be happy.
Not even the Buffoon Johnson is stupid enough to make a move until after Brexit.

But I think it becomes clear very quickly that leaving the EU is somehow more complicated than joining. Because joining has clear rules.
All this negotiating that has to be done now in 2 years. Should have been negotiated behind closed doors for like 5-7 years.
So that you have a rough outline, both can agree too. And the triggering article 50 and the last two years should only be to finalize stuff and start implementing it.

Like Lord Buckethead said, it is going to be a shit show, that nobody has a solution too. And unless they can find a solution to the border in Ireland, Ireland will veto any deal that does not respect the GFA. So lets see how they work it out.

Well you chaps can have the last bit of Ulster back and then we're all good , simple....

But Corbyn will probably be running the show in a couple of years , Brexit hasn't lanced the Tory boil in the way people thought it would I can see the Conservatives self destructing before the next general election leaving it open for Labour .

Britons need to remember that no matter what happen in the U.K, no matter if they get a good Brexit deal or not, it still beats becoming Venezuela, the utopia that loyal Maduro's fan Jeremy Corbyn aspires to.

Brexit-Border-paradox.jpg

Britons need to remember that no matter what happen in the U.K, no matter if they get a good Brexit deal or not, it still beats becoming Venezuela, the utopia that loyal Maduro's fan Jeremy Corbyn aspires to.

We've gone one way so as a reaction we'll probably go the other , we're in a funny mood it'll be a while before we settle down and start being sensible again .

Well you chaps can have the last bit of Ulster back and then we're all good , simple....

Under the terms of the GFA, the UK cannot do that. It requires a referendum in favour from both Ireland and NI ( NI can only have one, if the SoS calls for one)

Nowhere in the article does it suggest that the border issued can be solved after Brexit.

Irish Border
Just as some progress on the bill seems within reach, the Irish issue -- which some on the British side had thought was parked -- has come back on the agenda. Ireland essentially has a veto in this phase of talks as the border is one of the three issues that need to be resolved before the discussions move on to trade and transition.

What you guys seen where you went to vote leave last year?

You seen £350 mils a week for NHS
You seen less immigraton
You seen UK making own laws ie: cutting red tape

Any info about losing jobs, imposing tariffs were dismissed as scaremongering and that EU needs UK more than UK needs EU for trade. In other words you only seen benefits of Brexit. And you cant argue with that, this is true. Thats how leave campaign was led.

Now when Britain is about to lose passporting rights, and been also banned from being cultural Europe centre and negotiations going terribly slowly and towards bad deal, with no solution on Irish border, Brexiters are accusing EU of showing their true colours and that they should be grateful for WW2 efforts.

So I kind of understand your surprise and frustration. Prepare for more.

Brexit is a perfect example of the older generations fucking over the younger generations

_90089868_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624_by_age.png

Brexit is a perfect example of the older generations fucking over the younger generations

_90089868_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624_by_age.png

Maybe economically in the short term but nobody can really predict what this means for the future. I find it interesting that the older generations voted overwhelmingly to leave though because originally, they would have been part of the overwhelming majority that voted to join. Has there been any analytical breakdowns or consensus gathering on what that particular demographic has seen or experienced over the decades to change their oppinion on membership?

Maybe economically in the short term but nobody can really predict what this means for the future. I find it interesting that the older generations voted overwhelmingly to leave though because originally, they would have been part of the overwhelming majority that voted to join. Has there been any analytical breakdowns or consensus gathering on what that particular demographic has seen or experienced over the decades to change their oppinion on membership?

I'm not aware of any, but Britain's relative decline on the international stage, the push of anti EU propaganda from The Sun/Mail/Express would be big ones.

Perhaps. But the few older generation (males) I've spoken to that voted leave have reasoned to me that they didn't vote leave for economic reasons, but for cultural reasons. They said that right from the beginning they were in favour of economic union and breaking down barriers to facillitate free trade but we're opposed to deep political integration. It was only after decades of seeing political integration grow and more powers gradually being transferred to Brussels that they came to realise that the road they were heading down was not the road they had voted for. They believed that having political autonomy at a more localised level where citizens have greater purchasing power on their votes was of greater value to them and would be of greater value to their great great grandkids than that of the economic benefits. Or at least that's what I gathered. But that was from a small group who must've been in their 60s/early 70s.

Perhaps. But the few older generation (males) I've spoken to that voted leave have reasoned to me that they didn't vote leave for economic reasons, but for cultural reasons. They said that right from the beginning they were in favour of economic union and breaking down barriers to facillitate free trade but we're opposed to deep political integration. It was only after decades of seeing political integration grow and more powers gradually being transferred to Brussels that they came to realise that the road they were heading down was not the road they had voted for. They believed that having political autonomy at a more localised level where citizens have greater purchasing power on their votes was of greater value to them and would be of greater value to their great great grandkids than that of the economic benefits. Or at least that's what I gathered. But that was from a small group who must've been in their 60s/early 70s.

Yeah that reflects my experience as well.

When I asked what they wanted to do that the EU prevented them from doing, there wasn't any answer. Nor was there an answer as to what arrangements would be post brexit that would allow this independence. I also never met a single pro brexit person who ever engaged with MEP's on any issues they supposedly care about.

If the vote had been remain, they would have gone "oh well" and nothing would've ever happened. Instead we have a long series of negotiations ahead with no real objectives or deliverables to speak of, which has fractured most if not all of the political parties. It's a huge clusterfuck.

I've maintained all along that Brexit might turn out great, but taking a mystery box/hit and hope approach to a hugely complex constitutional issue on the basis of a 50%+1 referendum is unspeakably dumb.

Brexit was a vote to stop baking a cake 40 years in the making to ask for our eggs back.

UK bows to EU demands with breakthrough offer on Brexit bill

https://www.ft.com/content/cabf22e2-d462-11e7-8c9a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

Britain has bowed to EU demands and agreed to fully honour its financial commitments as identified by Brussels removing one of the biggest obstacles to a Brexit divorce settlement deal.

According to several diplomats familiar with the talks, the UK would assume EU liabilities worth up to €100bn although net payments, discharged over many decades, could fall to less than half that amount.

Prime minister Theresa May is expected to formally present the breakthrough offer next week as part of package deal if agreement can be reached on the other issues of citizen rights and the contentious question of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back