Breaking the ankle in a body triangle

Definitely a legit sub. I caught a high level black belt with this years ago. Granted he was a blue belt at the time, but the point remains!

Royce Gracie taught us how to attack the body triangle in a seminar. It's a legit sub & I almost tap to it while rolling with a guy who doesn't even know what he's doing.

it is a painfull and legit technique.. after i learnt it never closed a body triangle again, as its not a very hard to execute sub.. Also a lot of people will not tap because even though they are in cruciating pain they dont know theyre gettin caught, so they refuse to tap, which leads to serious injuries.. ive seen people scream out of this sub..
i always wondered why ive never seen it in mma and my guess is without a gi on and slippery feet may be a lil bit easier to open up the body triangle and not get caught if you know whats coming.. well, anyways, that is very relative.. demian maia says he feels confident about his feet flexibility so he closes body triangles all the time...

For anyone who doesn't think it's a legit technique...start at 1:20

it is a painfull and legit technique.. after i learnt it never closed a body triangle again, as its not a very hard to execute sub.. Also a lot of people will not tap because even though they are in cruciating pain they dont know theyre gettin caught, so they refuse to tap, which leads to serious injuries.. ive seen people scream out of this sub..
i always wondered why ive never seen it in mma and my guess is without a gi on and slippery feet may be a lil bit easier to open up the body triangle and not get caught if you know whats coming.. well, anyways, that is very relative.. demian maia says he feels confident about his feet flexibility so he closes body triangles all the time...

its got to be due to that, I mean, top of the level grapplers rarely tap from toe holds and footlocks, so may be its that...

ive hurt people with this before, its easy to do. need to go steady with it.

That technique is not used for attacking a body triangle, it's used when fighter cross their feet on your back, over your hips. One ankle creates a fullcrum to bend the foot over. If you try to use this while you're in a body triangle, nothing will happen.

The reason you never see it is because fighters rarely cross their feet while on someone's back, for that very reason, and because it has no real obvious advantages over regular hooks or the body triangle.

It has a big advantage over regular hooks, one has a way out and the other doesn't.

Friends,

I have been submitted by a guy in our gym, who performs the submission OP mentions. He rolls to the side of the triangle lock, and over hooks the ankle of the leg that is locking the triangle. He then places both hands (chin down indubitably) on the calf of the leg around the body, and all at once, he straightens his leg over hook stretching the leg, pushes down with both hands, and throws his hips forward hard.

There is a lot of pressure and it is a very real submission friends, for the reason I do not body lock him anymore.

If someone gets onto the side where your ankle forms the body lock, immediately adjust and let go, your body lock is loose and ineffective from here ... and exposes you to this bizarre submission apparently.

The body lock is used to hurt your opponent, when you hold onto it blindly as some form of control because you suck with your hooks, your gonna have a bad time.

The true counter to the BT is to simply get on the side where the ankle locks with the knee pit, once you get on your side it actually kind of hurts your opponent to maintain it and he cannot crush you.

In order to really get the sub the guys triangle has to be on his foot and not completely on his shin. If the bottom leg is firmly on the shin then there is no sub and you have flattened yourself out a bit attempting it. If the guy can barely lock his triangle then you could pull this off. This can be a sub or it can be a bait. In general it is not a good idea to let the person roll you on to your sided.

And that's the answer!

The reason Roger Gracie can pull out the body triangle with no problem is because he has long legs and he is making the triange on his shin, not his foot. Yes, if you are using your foot you are in trouble if he pressures you. If you are using the shin, doing this is the same as trying to do the same move on non-crossed hooks. It's useless.

Friends,

I have been submitted by a guy in our gym, who performs the submission OP mentions. He rolls to the side of the triangle lock, and over hooks the ankle of the leg that is locking the triangle. He then places both hands (chin down indubitably) on the calf of the leg around the body, and all at once, he straightens his leg over hook stretching the leg, pushes down with both hands, and throws his hips forward hard.

There is a lot of pressure and it is a very real submission friends, for the reason I do not body lock him anymore.
Body triangle him and put your extended leg behind his same side leg. Like Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson. Problem solved.

Body triangle him and put your extended leg behind his same side leg. Like Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson. Problem solved.
There is a video in this same thread with a guy getting hurt having his foot behind the opponents same side leg, like you said.
If you can't get your leg extended, or the opponent react faster, you are giving him a submission.

Here's a video explaining why it's hard to pull off that sub when someone crosses their ankles in rear mount. They discuss MMA at the end of the video. I imagine these concepts are similar to the body triangle.

Back