Breaking the ankle in a body triangle

Waylandthesmith

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering why, when fighters in the UFC are trapped in the body triangle that they don't utilise the escape which ends up breaking the attacker's ankle (hard to describe but basically the defender places their foot over the top of the attacker's, trapping the ankle and then pushes their pelvis forward)?

That technique is not used for attacking a body triangle, it's used when fighter cross their feet on your back, over your hips. One ankle creates a fullcrum to bend the foot over. If you try to use this while you're in a body triangle, nothing will happen.

The reason you never see it is because fighters rarely cross their feet while on someone's back, for that very reason, and because it has no real obvious advantages over regular hooks or the body triangle.

That technique is not used for attacking a body triangle, it's used when fighter cross their feet on your back, over your hips. One ankle creates a fullcrum to bend the foot over. If you try to use this while you're in a body triangle, nothing will happen.

The reason you never see it is because fighters rarely cross their feet while on someone's back, for that very reason, and because it has no real obvious advantages over regular hooks or the body triangle.

/thread

It's a newb mistake you wont see it caught on many (if any) high level guys.

A very similar technique is used for attacking the body triangle and it does work as long as they don't have flexible ankles.

I'm not sure why they don't use it really.

Friends,

I have been submitted by a guy in our gym, who performs the submission OP mentions. He rolls to the side of the triangle lock, and over hooks the ankle of the leg that is locking the triangle. He then places both hands (chin down indubitably) on the calf of the leg around the body, and all at once, he straightens his leg over hook stretching the leg, pushes down with both hands, and throws his hips forward hard.

There is a lot of pressure and it is a very real submission friends, for the reason I do not body lock him anymore.

This happened to me recently when I had a body triangle whilst attacking the back. I refused to tap out of stubbornness and the my foot eventually slipped out. However, it was incredibly painful to the point where I thought my ankle could go or my knee would be twisted. I was fortunate to slip out when I did but I did have pins and needles in my left ankle for a couple of days. I certainly won't make that mistake again.

This is a legit sub that attacks the body triangle. The same principle actually attacks any triangle from anywhere. It's just almost impossible to do against the normal triangle choke because the hand you would use to attack it is trapped inside.

You don't see it much in competition because it is very difficult to pull off against a solid opponent. It is easy to see coming and just roll over to the other side to avoid it.

Also, its hard to do in mma because removing your hands from defending the choke will get you choked. And with all the adrenaline they will be able to soldier through the ankle damage

I will never forget the first time I finally caught a certain high level guy's back. I got my arms through and was nearing the squeeze on cloud nine thinking I was finally going to get the tap and then...son of a... my ankle started hurting and I couldn't tap fast enough. Really sucked at the time but doing it to the next guy was so much fun. :)

I think you don't see it because they are reluctant to go for low-percentage (but still legit) stuff when they are under the kind of pressure a pro mma fighter will apply in a fight with a body triangle.

It's also possible some guys don't know of it.
/thread

It's a newb mistake you wont see it caught on many (if any) high level guys.
Different sub.

I was wondering why, when fighters in the UFC are trapped in the body triangle that they don't utilise the escape which ends up breaking the attacker's ankle (hard to describe but basically the defender places their foot over the top of the attacker's, trapping the ankle and then pushes their pelvis forward)?

My guess is, they don't know how. I think not a lot of people know or seem this.

If this is done in MMA then the person who tries it better be ready to take a lot of punches. No way to protect themselves.

Yes, it was the body triangle that I was talking about (not where they cross their ankles).

I had wondered whether it was a lack of knowledge given that when guys are in a body triangle they seem to go all over the place (so I am doubtful whether it is about not being allowed to roll to the correct side and also it doesn't need to have the hands free to execute). Also I don't know about flexibility being a major issue - I have had to tap from this and have hyper-mobile joints....

Friends,

I have been submitted by a guy in our gym, who performs the submission OP mentions. He rolls to the side of the triangle lock, and over hooks the ankle of the leg that is locking the triangle. He then places both hands (chin down indubitably) on the calf of the leg around the body, and all at once, he straightens his leg over hook stretching the leg, pushes down with both hands, and throws his hips forward hard.

There is a lot of pressure and it is a very real submission friends, for the reason I do not body lock him anymore.

Because you don't let him roll over with your body triangle. If you have a body triangle, when somebody rolls, you let go, and switch over to the other side of their pelvis.

its a pretty painful sub, I have wondered the same quite a few times, and its very often seen guys defending the body triangle by rolling to the correct side and trapping the ankle, yet no one goes for this.. its weird...

I like the confidence of calling an end to the thread after two posts :) but yeah I think you are thinking of the wrong sub from a different foot position.

I've used the sub in the Cesar video a few times but I find it only works against guys that don't have long enough legs to lock the triangle very deep. If the triangle is past their foot and anywhere from the ankle/shin and deeper, they are safe from a foot lock.

In order to really get the sub the guys triangle has to be on his foot and not completely on his shin. If the bottom leg is firmly on the shin then there is no sub and you have flattened yourself out a bit attempting it. If the guy can barely lock his triangle then you could pull this off. This can be a sub or it can be a bait. In general it is not a good idea to let the person roll you on to your sided.

When the guy transitions sides to counter your footlock is when escape. The ankle lock is just the bait.

Back