International Reports that Turkey just declared nationwide martial law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read reports that civilians had overwhelmed the coup soldiers and took everything back?

Yeah that summs it up, there are videos out there probably in liveleak etc aswell where the soldiers are gathered up and beaten, there is a viral photo of soldier beheaded . There are still some reports of fighting back in some areas but everything in Istanbul is quiet now

They arrested the guy in charge of the 3rd army corps , he is being portrayed as the main guy behind the coup, I'm told that the remaining coup soldiers are to stay passive but most of them got arrested anyway

Agreed. And as muh as I'm pro secularizm and free speech, the army shouldn't be charged with its implementation against the will of the people. It's just not workable.

The army as it's constructed in Turkey, has the duty to react if the secular values of the country are in danger. Erdogan has more than done that so they reacted. Just because Erdogan was voted (whether and how much the elections were fixed is another matter) doesn't give him the right to use power unconstitutionally and without reason. The army was the only thing standing between Erdogan legitimizing his islamist views. He was already placing his people at the higher chains of command and subtly changing the unity of the army and insuring that if a coup was made, the army wouldn't rise against him.

The trouble is, they have over 600,000 active military and the coup didn't have even 5% of that.

Had half the army rose against Erdogan, he would have been taken down yesterday. In a better organized coup, they would have seized Erdogan and/or the remains of his cabinet, and none of the islamists screaming Allahu Akbhar yesterday would have been on the streets.

The will of the people is a complex term. Even if 50% of the Turks are pro-islamist and anti-secularism doesn't mean that their breaking of the constitutional right of everyone else should be tolerated. That's where the army used to step in.

Now, with this failed attempt, Erdogan can be in total control and closer to the totalitarian regime he wants. Anyone against him will be deemed a traitor and arrested or worse. And no one can do anything about it.

Why do people lump turks with the Arabs as these muslim extremists and killers? They are secular people who don't let religion rule their country. Americans are more religiously extreme than turks in some areas.

Ikr, not saying there is anything wrong with arabic countries but we are not like them, atleast untill yesterday we weren't

In Istanbul if you go out you'll notice 1/3 of the girls are wearing yoga pants, 1/3 mini skirts, 1/3 headscarfs but with dresses showing their thongs underneath lol, but w/e this failed attempt of a coup proves the country is going in the wrong direction in either case

looks like 5 supreme court judges and about 3 thousand judges have been sacked. probably those that are against the death penalty. erdogan is going to do whatever he wants with this country for the next few days.
and then it will become a norm and he will keep doing it.

This gives a chance for serbia to move its military might into turkey and taken it over. Taking their children to raise them as their own army.

I am not well versed in Balkan geopolitics, but can I assume this is a joke or sarcasm? Like I said, I'm not educated on the issue but I can't imagine Serbia is possibly a match for Turkey, right?

Locking this. Create a v2 with a link of this thread

The army as it's constructed in Turkey, has the duty to react if the secular values of the country are in danger. Erdogan has more than done that so they reacted. Just because Erdogan was voted (whether and how much the elections were fixed is another matter) doesn't give him the right to use power unconstitutionally and without reason. The army was the only thing standing between Erdogan legitimizing his islamist views. He was already placing his people at the higher chains of command and subtly changing the unity of the army and insuring that if a coup was made, the army wouldn't rise against him.

The trouble is, they have over 600,000 active military and the coup didn't have even 5% of that.

Had half the army rose against Erdogan, he would have been taken down yesterday. In a better organized coup, they would have seized Erdogan and/or the remains of his cabinet, and none of the islamists screaming Allahu Akbhar yesterday would have been on the streets.

The will of the people is a complex term. Even if 50% of the Turks are pro-islamist and anti-secularism doesn't mean that their breaking of the constitutional right of everyone else should be tolerated. That's where the army used to step in.

Now, with this failed attempt, Erdogan can be in total control and closer to the totalitarian regime he wants. Anyone against him will be deemed a traitor and arrested or worse. And no one can do anything about it.
Yes, I'm well aware of this. It doesn't change the reality that people want Erdogan to stay in power. Tyranny by the majority seems like their choice, and constitution be damned.

I think using the armed forces to police the government is a dangerous system, and one that's doomed to fail. How many military coups have there been in Turkey the last 50 years?

Some say this was a staged event orchestrated by Erdogan to solidify his power. I'm not sure I buy that, but given the half assed attempt I just can't dismiss it out of hand as the Turkish military has some experience in these matters.

All in all we're in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back