BREAKING: President Trump directs Justice Department to ban gun modifications like bump stocks.

I don't care if bump stocks are banned. They are designed for discharging a semi-automatic weapon with a rate of high that is similar to an automatic weapon by exchanging aim for rate of fire. Very helpful when shooting into an open field or crowd, less helpful anywhere else. If this is a compromise that will make people happy, cool.

Here's the real problem. It ain't gonna be just bumpstocks.

Interferes as little as possible with the RTBA, helps address a proven dangerous loophole in the intentions of our current gun laws, and serves a compelling interest. I like it. When Trump got the job, these sorts of sensible, non-partisan policies are what I had hoped he would focus on. But we really need to tighten up the mental health aspect, particularly with troubled adolescents.

I agree, but the Devil is in the details -and I'm not sure we're going to see the Devil in the same details..

I love how people tout the Constitution and it's wording like these cats were perfect, all knowing and all present and could predict the future

why is there a 3/5 compromise in it then?

everyone knows what 'well regulated' means, cmon son

Here's the real problem. It ain't gonna be just bumpstocks.
It's going to be what's in the legislation. If they try to make it about more than bump stocks, I will take issue. If it's just bump stocks, that's fine. There's your compromise.

I love how people tout the Constitution and it's wording like these cats were perfect, all knowing and all present and could predict the future

why is there a 3/5 compromise in it then?

everyone knows what 'well regulated' means, cmon son
If you go back to the time of the authoring of the Constitution, all men had to make muster with the local militia as a part of said militia. As such, all men were considered to be "well regulated" in accordance with the law. That's where we derive the individual right today.

You'll never have to ban Bump Stocks

<guy pointing at his own head.jpg>

If you make semi-automatics illegal.

If you go back to the time of the authoring of the Constitution, all men had to make muster with the local militia as a part of said militia. As such, all men were considered to be "well regulated" in accordance with the law. That's where we derive the individual right today.
which is much more akin to the modern IRR/reserves system, than it is 'here, rando, have a gun!"
or basically Switzerland
at least IMO

damn school shooters and their bump stocks.

Look, when a kid decides to go psycho in his school with his AR-15 we want the death toll to not exceed about 20. With a bump stock Ted Cruz might have doubled his kills. This ban is a smart move and shows that Trump wants to lead on this issue.

which is much more akin to the modern IRR/reserves system, than it is 'here, rando, have a gun!"
or basically Switzerland
at least IMO
You're making a case for compulsory military service in the National Guard in order to have a modern equivalent to the Founders' system.

The Supreme Court has decided on several occasions that this is an individual right, just like the rest of the Bill of Rights. The BoR is more about individual rights than collective rights anyways.

You're making a case for compulsory military service in the National Guard in order to have a modern equivalent to the Founders' system.

The Supreme Court has decided on several occasions that this is an individual right, just like the rest of the Bill of Rights. The BoR is more about individual rights than collective rights anyways.
not necessarily, just that's the most common comparison

but tbh, I have zero issue w/ anyone wanting to own a weapon being forced to undergo mandatory training. We all have to do behind the wheel drivers training PLUS the written test to operate a vehicle, why not a gun?

get them PCC/PCI games up

and not that it matters, but the 'freedom to assemble' is arguably a collective right, as you can't assemble by yourself haha

Look, when a kid decides to go psycho in his school with his AR-15 we want the death toll to not exceed about 20. With a bump stock Ted Cruz might have doubled his kills. This ban is a smart move and shows that Trump wants to lead on this issue.

Are you serious?

theres not going to be anything. why even argue? this will be torpedoed by the gun lobby.

but tbh, I have zero issue w/ anyone wanting to own a weapon being forced to undergo mandatory training. We all have to do behind the wheel drivers training PLUS the written test to operate a vehicle, why not a gun?

and not that it matters, but the 'freedom to assemble' is arguably a collective right, as you can't assemble by yourself haha
Most states will have you undergo training in order to carry a concealed weapon (ie carry in public).

What I'd actually favor is creating a two-tiered national licensing system. Tier 1 is buy any semi-automatic firearm you want and concealed carry in all 50 states. Once you get your license, no more background checks when buying firearms, no waiting period, no silly shit like magazine capacity. In order to get your license, you need to qualify on a pistol and rifle, assemble and disassemble the firearms, and demonstrate competency in regards to safety (no flagging, can safely load and reload, fix and clear a jam). All your background checks happen when you get your license, and if you are convicted of a crime, you lose your license or have it suspended as appropriate. Go ahead and cross state lines with your weapon, carry in all 50 states, and all person-to-person sales simply require that you show your license to one another. Tier 2 gets you any item you want, including automatic weapons. Basically, the same stuff applies.

What else do you expect to see regulated? I haven't read much into this yet.

From Massachusetts.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20171004/rep-files-bill-plugging-bump-stock-loophole-in-mass-laws

Linsky’s bill, which is awaiting assignment to a committee, also proposes to ban high-capacity magazines with more than 10 rounds. Current state law grandfathered high-capacity magazines produced before 1994, but Linsky said the lack of serial numbers on ammunition magazines makes enforcement impossible.

From Hawaii.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/hawaii-trigger-modification-ban-introduced-senate/#axzz55No4rqLj

Senate Bill 2046 is similar to federal legislation proposed by anti-gun California U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). SB 2046 would make it a crime to own, manufacture, possess, sell, barter, trade, gift, transfer or acquire a firearm accessory or any other device, part or combination of parts that is designed to or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic firearm.

It's going to be what's in the legislation. If they try to make it about more than bump stocks, I will take issue. If it's just bump stocks, that's fine. There's your compromise.

Be prepared to take issue.

For someone who swore to defend the Constitution in the military you don't seem to understand it.

Back