Breaking Down Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series, Season 1

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
As before, these statistics are observations and not representative of anything other than the entirety of Season 1 of DWTNCS. With only 40 fights, there's only so much you can glean from them.

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series, Season 1 Stats:
40 fights
65% finish rate (8 KOs for 20%, 9 TKOs for 22.5%, 9 Subs for 22.5% with 3 Technical Submissions)
16 fighters signed (8 for KO/TKO, 4 for Subs, 4 for Decisions) plus one other quasi-signing to be determined
3 fighters returned to fight again, two were signed on their second fight
6 of 8 main event winners were signed

Contract Winners:
Week 1: FW Kurt Holobaugh (Round 1 KO) and BW Boston Salmon (Unanimous Decision)
Week 2: BW Sean O'Malley (Round 1 KO)
Week 3: LHW Karl Roberson (Round 1 KO) and MW Geoffrey Neal (Round 1 TKO)
Week 4: MW Julian Marquez (Round 2 KO) and FW Brandon Davis (Unanimous Decision)
Week 5: LHW Mike Rodriguez (Round 1 KO) and FLW Alex Perez (Round 1 Tech Sub - Anaconda Choke)
Week 6: MW Charles Byrd (Round 2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke) and FW Grant Dawson (Round 2 Sub - Rear Naked Choke)
Week 7: BW Benito Lopez (Split Decision) and FLW Joby Sanchez (Round 2 TKO)
Week 8: LW Matt Frevola (Round 2 Sub - Arm-Triangle Choke), WBW Lauren Mueller (Unanimous Decision), and HW Allen Crowder(Round 3 TKO) - as well as MW Bevon Lewis (Round 2 TKO) to a Developmental League deal (no idea what that means yet)

Contracts by Fight Position on the Card:
Main: 6
Fight 2: 3
Fight 3: 4
Fight 4: 2
Fight 5: 1

Finishes:
By Round
11 First Round Finishes, 7 KO/TKO, 4 Sub
10 Second Round Finishes, 7 KO/TKO, 3 Sub
4 Third Round Finishes, 2 KO/TKO, 2 Sub

Fastest Finishes
Karl Roberson – 0:15 KO (Elbows)
Kyler Phillips – 0:46 TKO (Punches)
Jordan Espinosa – 1:23 Technical Submission (D’Arce Choke)

Latest Finishes
Jamie Colleen – 4:43 R3 Submission (Armbar)
Allen Crowder – 4:12 R3 TKO (Elbows)
Dan Ige – 3:23 R3 Submission (Rear Naked Choke)

Never Tell Me The Odds:
Favorite won: 26/40 – 65%
Underdog won: 14/40 – 35%

Biggest upsets:
+270 Kennedy Nzechukwu vs -330 Anton Berzin
+265 Adam Antolin vs -345 Casey Kenney
+260 Cameron Olson vs -300 Karl Reed

Biggest locks:
-420 Kurt Holobaugh vs +325 Matt Bessette
-400 Alonzo Menifield vs +300 Daniel Jolly
-400 Dan Spohn vs +300 Angel DeAnda

Hit the Scales:

14 of the fighters who came in lighter than their opponent won, compared to just 10 winners who were heavier than their opponents.
The remaining 16 bouts had fighters who hit the exact same weight.
No fighters missed weight.

Fights by Weight Class:
FLW: 8 fights, 2 signed
FW: 7 fights, 3 signed
BW: 6 fights, 3 signed
LHW: 6 fights, 2 signed
MW: 5 fights, 3 signed
HW: 3 fights, 1 signed
WW: 2 fights, 0 signed
WBW: 1 fight, 1 signed
WSW: 1 fight, 0 signed

Oddities and Miscellany:
13 of 40 winners had a height advantage
12 fighters kept their undefeated streaks intact, and 10 fighters had their "0" go
Youngest to win - 22 years old, Sean O'Malley and Kyler Phillips
Oldest to win - 35 years old, Adam Antolin and Azunna Anyanwu (A for the first initial in their first and last names)
Longest Event: DWTNCS 8 – 60 mins, 31 secs of fight time
Shortest Event: DWTNCS 3 – 25 mins, 55 secs of fight time
Average Event Time: 46 min, 18.5 secs

The TOTAL fighter salary for all eight events was $600,000, assuming no post-fight or otherwise unlisted bonuses. $10,000 for each winner, and $5,000 for each loser.

TLDR: Fantastic season of fights, some serious prospects have been signed by the UFC and hopefully they can go far in the UFC. Several of the contract winner already have fights lined up in the UFC, and I will be keeping track of them as well. It sounds like Dana and company will be doing plenty of more of these seasons as we move forward, which is great to hear. It could also be leveraged into a weekly set of fight cards for a future TV deal after the Fox deal ends next year.

Last edited:
Interesting read.

Thanks for the stats.

i think this is part of the progression to the UFC following a traditional sports format

with weekly or biweekly free cards and then PPV's are the "superbowl" or "wrestlemania" with all the best people from the free cards

Thanks for the information!
Any idea when season 2 starts?

No but it can't come soon enough. Could be at the end of the year if we're lucky, but I'd guess early 2018.

Judging on when the season took place and ended, I believe we're in for a season of tuf and then a season of contender series in the off period between tufs

@jeicex the developmental contract is supposed to be similar to the deal Pico was signed to by Bellator when he was a kid. Sean Shelby gave an interview about it sometime last year that I've been looking for, he said it was a respond to Bellator's recruitment of collegiate wrestlers directly out of college. It allows them to fight in organizations loosely associated with the UFC but still under contract with WME, allowing them to sign the fighter at anytime to a full contract and/or supplement income on a small scale so they can fight full time.

Good call for a 3-0 prospect (not 4-0) like the guy on the finale. I'm assuming we see him get brought back next season with some fights in between, but this is better than signing him to a full deal like Sage or Mickey Gall and having nothing for him if he goes 0-2 because it was too much too soon

TNCS has been great. It was frequent but had some good fights and went by quickly.

And Laura Sanko helps.

Would rather they do more TNCS and LFaF and just dump terrible TUF.

The development league deal is likely signing him up with LFA to get him some more experience and build him up. I wonder if he will get CM Punk treatment and get supplemental income so he can train full time?

I haven't watched any of it. I may have to start indulging..

The TOTAL fighter salary for all eight events was $600,000, assuming no post-fight or otherwise unlisted bonuses. $10,000 for each winner, and $5,000 for each loser.

Double it up for Season 2

I liked omailey flashy but kind've sloppy , matt frevola nice pop in his right maybe a decent wrestler , julian marquez nice sting in his right, overall ok show I mostly checked out the the show to see the fighters gf's/hot female relatives in the the audience and I thought Snoop and Uriah would be awful but I ended up digging them

I haven't watched any of it. I may have to start indulging..
You should, it was a great promotion. Couple dud fights, but way more sick ones and some great finishes.
Prospect MMA is awesome

theres a couple of fighters who didnt get contracts have since got short notice step-ins..

who were they>? cos i cant remember

Good work @jeicex !!
Hope this is a positive that comes from the WME deal, replacing TUF

Back