Breaking ...Canelo Alvarez tested positive for clembuterol

As part of the voluntary testing program that Canelo Alvarez insisted on ahead of his May 5 fight, one of his results came back positive for trace levels of Clenbuterol, consistent with meat contamination that has impacted dozens of athletes in Mexico over the last years.

As Daniel Eichner, Director of SMRTL, the WADA-accredited lab that conducted the tests stated in his letter today, "These values are all within the range of what is expected from meat contamination."

Mexican meat, damn you!

Actual footage of him using PEDS-

steak-canelo-flame.gif

Shocking

Now this isn't good news.

WADA still has no minimum threshold for Clen, right?
I guess that means that the fight's off.

If anything it means that Canelo's people are way less professional than I thought.

Nooooo! This is unbelievably disappointing

Actual footage of him using PEDS-

steak-canelo-flame.gif

Shocking

Its so sad that multimillionaire sports and film stars still can't source a good steak in this day and age, and are forced to buy meat tainted with illegal growth inducing chemicals from dodgy ranchers.

Something must be done about this - look at poor Sylvester and Saul - practically wasting away...

So if Canelo is prevented from fighting in May because of this test, who steps in?

Does this carry from an animal who has had this to a human who would eat the meat from said animal?

I know people tend to go down the whole "i have breathing problems" route....but it is probably one of the most well known substances out there and i wouldnt imagine anyone would ever get caught with this as it is so easy to avoid

So if Canelo is prevented from fighting in May because of this test, who steps in?
IT'll still happen. Erik Morales fought after being tested for clenbuterol.

Those god damn cows and their Roids.

This sucks. Hope the fight can stay on. I dont think Clen will get a fight cancelled.

WADA still has no minimum threshold for Clen, right?
I guess that means that the fight's off.

This is what WADA says about it:
It is possible that under certain circumstances the presence of a low level of clenbuterol in an athlete sample can be the result of food contamination. However, each case is different and all aspects and context of the case need to be taken into account during the results management process. According to the World Anti-Doping Code, the athlete has the opportunity to explain how a prohibited substance entered their body during the results management and/or or hearing phase of their case.

WADA is working closely with specific countries, International Federations and event organizers to help minimize the risk of meat contamination. Food contamination as a public health issue is primarily a matter for governments to resolve.

I imagine that the fight will probably go ahead as planned as it's in everyone's interest, and Canelo probably does have plausible deniability (as the level of plausible deniability will be much lower for the biggest star in the sport leading up to the most lucrative fight in the sport at the moment). Why someone with Canelo's resources would risk eating beef from Mexico when it's widely known that a lot of it is tainted with clenbuterol is beyond me (if that is actually the source of the positive test).

Back