BREAKING: $50 million Annual Superbowl Boxing Tournament Announced

Sounds awesome. I am hesitant to believe that this will work, with the structure of boxing being what it is. But if I have the slightest bit of faith that any promoter could put this together I guess it would be a guy like Shaeffer. Best of luck to this idea, because an 8-man 154 tournament sounds awesome.

I don't understand the 154 thing.

Is that just to pull guys up from 147 and down from 160 instead of using an actual weight class?

I don't understand the 154 thing.

Is that just to pull guys up from 147 and down from 160 instead of using an actual weight class?
154 has existed as the JMW limit for a while now. There's actually a lot of talent in the division

Hope it works out. The Super Six tournament didn't quite work as intended with people pulling out, but it did succeed in getting the best boxers in a division to fight each other. Anything that can do that and skirt some of the typical bullshit boxing politics is fine by me.

Its 50 million dollar total purse.... split between the 2 divisions.
Dudes making 1 - 1.5 mil per opening round.
Looks like the winner gets like 8.5 million over 3 fights.

Great for contenders but you are not going to get any top draws with that.

Seems perfect for a guy like Andrade. Could be like Andre Ward and the Super 6

.... and in a moment of clarity, the excitement dies down. ?1?

.... and in a moment of clarity, the excitement dies down. ?1?
Also, seems like a play for Ringstar and Saurland to grab up talent. Wonder how many of their guys will get the spots. Could be very convincing for people to sign with them. Hmmmmm

I still like it and think its cool but its mostly a marketing job. Schaeffer is a savy and crafty guy.
This got a lot of buzz, hype, and worldwide mainstream media attention.

Froch made between $750,000 - $1,000,000 per fight @ Super 6
Kessler was supposedly the highest paid but cant find any numbers
Ward won wonder his purses????
Taylor ????
Abraham????
But it took 2 years.

So this pay structure seems better even with inflation . It goes up as you advance substantially.
Opening round probably out earns what the finalist for the super 6 got.

Its still exciting and life changing for prospects, journey men, and the few highly ranked guys who arent draws or cant get big fights.

154 has existed as the JMW limit for a while now. There's actually a lot of talent in the division
Yeah but....im not expecting the real talent of the 154 division
-This is chump change for Canelo no way hes in
-One of the Charlos moved to 160 and is ranked #2 officially. So i bet he rather let that play out then move back down.
-Lara and the other Charlo wont fight each other because they are close teammates.

So really im thinking the best 154s are out.
If they have 154 this is taylor made for Andrade. This is exactly what he needs.

The money is too good to turn down
According to Iole, everyone would get paid at least $1 million to participate

$1 million quarterfinals participation + $500k win bonus
$1.5 million semi finals participation + $1 million win bonus
$2.5 million finals participation + $2 million win bonus

Whos gonna turn down a $1 million guaranteed participation check besides HW champs, 147lb champs, and 160lb champs
I agree.
Canelo, Cotto, Klitschko, Joshua, a few others won't because they make more.
But DG and KT both made $2m. Guys like Broner and Lara would make more winning the in the 2nd round than they ever made for a fight.
I don't see why guys like that would avoid a tourney that they will probably be #1 seeds in

I agree.
Canelo, Cotto, Klitschko, Joshua, a few others won't because they make more.
But DG and KT both made $2m. Guys like Broner and Lara would make more winning the in the 2nd round than they ever made for a fight.
I don't see why guys like that would avoid a tourney that they will probably be #1 seeds in
Because they have to take a substantial paycut in the first round.
Zero negotiation power when they are used to getting "A side" demands
Counts them out of potential super fights or better options that will come outside that series.
Plenty of legit reasons for stars and big draws to do their own thing

Back