Bread can be added to paleo diet?

Lubaolong

RETIRED
@Steel
Reaction score
Not that the central myths of the paleo diet haven't been debunked already, but I found this news today quite humorous. Archaeologists have found 14,400 year old bread making, showing that ancient hunter-gatherers were making and eating bread thousands of years before the Neolithic era and the introduction of agriculture. So much for the paleo diet actually being a thing.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/07/10/1801071115

Paleolithic era began 3.5 million years ago. The last tip of it being 14,000 years ago...hardly classify it as paleo to be honest but....

How common was it in their diet though? I'd wager not common enough to warrant it being an issue or even a staple in their diet. This seems to be the primary aspect of the paleo diet if it was ever followed properly in terms of its definition. Also, it mentions the area of Jordan. Assuming an additional 500km Radius, most of the world was not eating this yet (and im a guy who loves zaatar on naan).

Potatoes and yams are also said to be used "sparingly as Grak wouldn't have had much use for them" . Bullshit. Study hunter gather societies (closest to paleo you can get currently, they eat whatever the fuck they can get. Some times, it's a shit ton of bananas or honey, other times its a mountain of fish and very few veggies as its not in season).

Potatoes and yams are also said to be used "sparingly as Grak wouldn't have had much use for them" . Bullshit. Study hunter gather societies (closest to paleo you can get currently, they eat whatever the fuck they can get. Some times, it's a shit ton of bananas or honey, other times its a mountain of fish and very few veggies as its not in season).

First recorded human presence in the area where potatoes originate from happened post paleolithic era, though.

But I agree with your point.

I don't find it a myth to eat fresh natural products like fruits, vegs, fish and meat instead of processed foods. Who cares what's it called if it works in concept.

If you found that study humorous, you'll really have a belly laugh at this one.

Well I guess this is the line between a fine approach (eat fresh, unprocessed, natural foods) becomes a cult with the accompanying contradictions and stupidity (potatoes could be paleo but they are not since they are rich in carbohydrates).

Yeah ok. I am sure that a hunter gatherer in paleolithic times would snob a perfectly fine vegetable, which is high in energy, because it was rich in carbohydrates.

Why not just ad it yourself and call it (your name) diet ?

Back