(Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu made it to the Asian Games

Don't know, some americans can pass through in some divisions, maybe some euro guys. Then in 2 or 3 olympics after that, russians, japanese, mongolians... will get on the train making BJJ a real global sport. As if judo was always won by Japan.

Also, never forget that an olympic medal is very valuable. Look at what happened to Ronda with a bronze medal. Even if there's no gold medals for the US, some silver and bronze can make BJJ shine.

I don't see anything wrong with BJJ going to the olympics. The ruleset is solid, the organization is solid (IBJJF). This just means that more public money will enter the sport with the national organizations and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also as a parent it's a better selling argument that the sport is Olympic with a national federation than saying that everybody in the UFC do BJJ. More kids, better comps, better athletes in the end. Right now my kids are training, but what I see from the kids competition in my area there's no way they will enter with brackets that have boys and girls mixed up, weight class that can range 30 pounds and last minute fusion of categories because there's not enough kids. Watching a 40 pounds little girl getting beat up by a 60 pounds little boy is not that fun to watch.

Maybe not in california, or the NYC area but those things happens all the time in the kids categories. So anything that can make the parents aware and interested in BJJ will be more than welcome.
The sport of submission Grappling is governed by United World Wrestling. If BJJ came to the Olympics it would be under them. In fact UWW already have internationally sanctioned Gi Grappling events. The IBJJF is a private profit making company not a governing body for the sport.

Last edited:
Brazilian JJ could never be an Olympic sport. They'd have to change the name to make it more "inclusive". It has been tried already. In the mid 2000's Ricardo Liborio teamed up with FILA and USA Wrestling and got involved with the sport of Grappling. He was the head coach of Team USA for a few years and has gone on record saying he'd like to see Grappling included in the Olympics. I think this was the best shot at submission grappling getting in the Olympics but for whatever reason, despite participation from some really credible people, it never took off the way they had hoped.
Who said it didn’t work out? It takes years for a sport to be included at the Olympics. It doesn’t happen overnight. BJJ is still a very new sport and doesn’t yet have the same levels of participation as other traditional sports yet. The very fact that Grappling is now an event at the Asian games shows there is still momentum, the IOC use these smaller regional events to gauge interest for the Olympics. This can only increase the chances of it being considered as an event at the official Olympics.

Also the UWW, official governing body for the sport of wrestling, are having Submission grappling events quite regularly now and interest is picking up. They have rules for both Gi and no Gi. The ruleset makes it possible for people from different grappling disciplines to compete at equal footing whether you’re Sambo, BJJ, Trad JJ, Wrestling or Judo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfeskasuOjCN2n3qA2Y8lBrGE_v918L7

Who said it didn’t work out? It takes years for a sport to be included at the Olympics. It doesn’t happen overnight. BJJ is still a very new sport and doesn’t yet have the same levels of participation as other traditional sports yet. The very fact that Grappling is now an event at the Asian games shows there is still momentum, the IOC use these smaller regional events to gauge interest for the Olympics. This can only increase the chances of it being considered as an event at the official Olympics.

Also the UWW, official governing body for the sport of wrestling, are having Submission grappling events quite regularly now and interest is picking up. They have rules for both Gi and no Gi. The ruleset makes it possible for people from different grappling disciplines to compete at equal footing whether you’re Sambo, BJJ, Trad JJ, Wrestling or Judo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfeskasuOjCN2n3qA2Y8lBrGE_v918L7
Actually the UWW (Formerly FILA) grappling events in particular is the platform I was referring to losing steam, but I'm more specifically talking about domestically here in the USA. When FILA/USA Wrestling started to promote grappling there was a lot of excitement and promise. As I said earlier it had Ricardo Liborio heading the team and it enjoyed participation from all the big time wrestlers that were transitioning to MMA. You had BJJ world medalists from Brazil, top judo and sambo guys from abroad all taking part in the international events. Now and over the last few years you don't see any wrestlers the caliber of a Johnny Hendricks, a Ben Askren, competing or a coach the caliber of a Liborio coaching, or a BJJer the caliber of a Rodrigo Medeiros entering in UWW//USA Wrestling Grappling events like you did in 2007-2010.

So I'm glad to hear Grappling is doing well internationally but domestically its taken a hit. I know the sport of nogi grappling has also made its way into the sport accord world combat games and the Asian indoor games but I'd like to see more big names from the USA taking part.

Cheated because they invented the sport?

cheating because the sport is not competitive. when u add your own sport with 16 different weightclasses and take 14 Gold medals is it really a competitive sport that deserves to be in international sports?

This is a big step for Jiu Jitsu but it will hardly be Olympic Judo is much more organized and can modify its rules to have more techniques solo.

Just as before, he accepted the use of Double Leg (Morote gari), but then banned because the Brazilian was doing well in Judo with this type of fall.

otomo_ribout.jpg

cheating because the sport is not competitive. when u add your own sport with 16 different weightclasses and take 14 Gold medals is it really a competitive sport that deserves to be in international sports?
Got to start somewhere and it’s not the most aggregias either.

Back