Brazilian Army to take control of security in Rio as violence rises

Yes, Temer did order the Army to take control of security in Rio, so what? It's a first step. Temer is as corrupt as Dilma and Lula, the last two presidents. Temer did not come to power in a coup, Dilma was impeached, he was the vice-president. Was Lyndon Johnson not the legitimate president of the U.S. after Kennedy was assassinated?

I don't think you meant to be ironic there, but FYI it is a long held conspiracy that LBJ was behind JFK's assassination.

Plenty of evidence showing Dilma was framed for that impeachment by Temer. That is a soft coup.

Brazil's 2nd greatest export
740full-morena-baccarin.jpg

Gross

I will fight you.

My post was so clever you missed it.

Yes, gross, as in she is gross, but also she is Brazil's 2nd greatest gross export.

Humor for political nerds. I guess if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny though.

My post was so clever you missed it.

Yes, gross, as in she is gross, but also she is Brazil's 2nd greatest gross export.

Humor for political nerds. I guess if you have to explain it, it wasn't funny though.
Morena-Baccarin-Deadpool-06.jpg

Marcela Temer is the president's wife. She is 43 years younger and sizzling hot.

I really do think we need to hold trophy wives against politicians. Not out of some feminist equality non-sense, but because the kind of guy who has a trophy wife, is the kind of guy who is easily corrupted, and has no moral bearing.

I too have lived in Brazil and the United States. There is free health care, free education, and welfare in Brazil. It is not the best, but it is available and free. Some of the best universities in Brazil are free. It is hard to get in though. My ex-wife is from Brazil and came from a very poor background. She is now a doctor, MD. Educated in Brazil. There is certainly less racism than in the U.S. The wealthy in Brazil have always controlled politics. Always have and always will. The wealthy are the ones that brought about the military takeover of the country in 1964.

Brazil is a lot like China in many respects. First world in some areas and third world in others. Like China, Brazil has a space program. They have the capability to go nuclear any time they choose. Embraer is the third largest producer of civil aircraft, after Airbus and Boeing. It has a relatively big military industry. Tanks, planes, and small weapons. Taurus is a Brazilian company that makes handguns sold here in the U.S. And yet, like China, the country faces poverty, hunger, lack of education and corruption. Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo are the two cities, and states, that run and finance the country. With one or two exceptions, the rest of the states are in the 'red'.

The Brazilian Army ran the country from 1964 to 1985. All the Generals were well educated and came from good social economic backgrounds. If a free people cannot govern themselves properly, they don't deserve a democracy. They need 'daddy' to crack the whip on corruption and keep people in line. Brazil made great strides from 64 to 85. World pressure, and the U.S., eventually made the military turn the country back over to the people. With very few exceptions, things have gone downhill ever since.

Right on. You may know more about Brazil than me, I lived in Niteroi for about a year and a half but that was in 2004-2005 and 2008-2009. The amount or quality of welfare there vs here was striking to me, I heard after I left they expanded the welfare such as free bus passes though.

The free healthcare was not at all like here though, when I had to get taken care of it was at designated clinics. l got dengue twice, the second time the clinic was crowded and it was hot as hell out and I was in rough shape and it took them like 3 hours to see me. Luckily i caught it earlier the 2nd time than the 1st or it could have been a disaster, I tried to cure it with otc medication the first time and by the time I got to the clinic I needed to end up staying 3 days. Both places were a obviously a bit ramshackle and lacking funds compared to an actual hospital, here if you're on medicaid you aren't limited like that.

The public schools in Rio were a disaster though, you absolutely need to go to private school if you want an education there which is like $1-2k per month or more. So even if some university is free, just like the healthcare stuff it's a select amount. And really what good is it if you need to be well-off to afford the education necessary to get there? I'm not sure where you or your wife grew up, but in Rio it is very difficult to have any success at a university if you have to rely on the public school system to get you there.

I'm not sure where you or your wife grew up, but in Rio it is very difficult to have any success at a university if you have to rely on the public school system to get you there.

It's like here in the U.S. where the public High School system sucks, but the Universities are some of the best in the world. So, yes, you can be poor and make it to and through college to become a doctor, lawyer, engineer, and unfortunately a politician. I grew up in Brazil during the military rule. I went back to work as an adult years later. There was definitely a difference in the quality of the country. I have dual citizenship. Niteroi has really expanded since the 1970's. They tell me it is a nicer place to live than Rio. But no, I would never go back to live or work in Brazil. The people are very warm and friendly though. BJJ was born in Rio with the Gracies.

There are many factors, but basically it has become a corrupt society. A culture that thrives on being corrupt. Brazil used to be a great country back in the 70s, 60s, and 50s. None of the current shit was happening back than. Yeah, the military wasn't free of corruption either, just not in the scale that you see in government today. The trickle-down effect that starts at the very top and runs on down. A country with so much potential that is constantly being thrown away. Education of the masses plays a big part in it. The average Brazilian does not know how he/she is being screwed by the government or simple does not care. Pacifists by nature, with the exception of the criminal element, they will never revolt against the government.

You consider Brazilians to be "pacifists by nature"?

I was always under the impression that Brazil had, compared to its neighbors, a somewhat hostile culture. Isn't there one of those prank shows that highlights how aggressive Brazilians are?

Just realized, but there is already a thread covering this. This will probably be merged.

Avoid Brazilian women other than one night stands. Most of they are batshit crazy, up there with Persian chicks.

I was always under the impression that Brazil had, compared to its neighbors, a somewhat hostile culture. Isn't there one of those prank shows that highlights how aggressive Brazilians are?

Brazilians are not Spanish, they are Portuguese. Yes, the BJJ gang and the 'favela' criminals are very aggressive, but I would say the majority of Brazilians are peaceful and religious. Catholicism has a big influence in the culture. But again, what do Brazilians descend from? Portugal sent its prisoners and hookers to Brazil. The U.S. got the Pilgrims. See the difference in the 'stock'?

Back