BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99 from Bone Tomahawk Writer-Director (Update: Out Now on VOD)

I dont know whats with all the hate for Vince Vaughn, im actually a fan

Can’t take VV as a hard case. He doesn’t pass muster.

It's out!

Just bought the VOD.

Psyched to make some time for this tomorrow night.

This is probably my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year

Interesting. You'll have to let us know how it is.

I expected this to be a major theatrical release.

I just saw it and was an amusing shit show. Felt like it we everything just took its damn time to happen. It was fun though. The fights were good in an over the top grind house fashion.

Has my favorite line off the year "talk correct or get raped"

That was slightly violent.

At any rate, this isnt going to get the kind of cult classic status that Tomahawk is capable of, but its nonetheless an entertainingly violent crime yarn. The climax suffers from the budget limitations that prevent some of the effects from being convincing and the movie slowly puts itself in more and more unbelievable circumstances until the end is practically a comic book.

None of this means it wasnt super fun to watch though. A great flick to watch with some buddies and have a couple of beers, but probably not the kind of flick like Bone Tomahawk where you're telling all your friends about it and making sure they actually watch it. Zahler was on my must read/watch list prior to this movie and that hasn't changed at all. However, I'd love to see what he could do with a budget.

Also the kind of movie where your girlfriend probably says "That was stupid" when it's over.

Last edited:
Sort of slipped on me that this was due out this week. Fan of Zahler too, actually finally got around to watching Asylum Blackout the other day so I'll have to check this out this week. I really don't mind Vaughn, he can be a bit off-putting at times but for the most part I find him tolerable and even enjoyable.

Just finished watching it, better than anticipated. Not overly drawn out for me, had a nice pace for what I expected from Zahler. Almost felt it could have been, or was based on a play. But that's Zahlers filming style I find. Vaughn gave a pretty good performance and sold me in it. Solid 7/10 in my books. Soundtrack was fantastic, some Butch Tavares and some O'Jays on there for good measure.

It's out!

Just bought the VOD.

Psyched to make some time for this tomorrow night.

This is probably my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year

What'd ye think?

I just saw it and was an amusing shit show. Felt like it we everything just took its damn time to happen. It was fun though. The fights were good in an over the top grind house fashion.

Has my favorite line off the year "talk correct or get raped"

He had a good few, that line killed it though no doubt lol.

Just finished watching it, better than anticipated. Not overly drawn out for me, had a nice pace for what I expected from Zahler. Almost felt it could have been, or was based on a play. But that's Zahlers filming style I find. Vaughn gave a pretty good performance and sold me in it. Solid 7/10 in my books. Soundtrack was fantastic, some Butch Tavares and some O'Jays on there for good measure.

What'd ye think?

He had a good few, that line killed it though no doubt lol.
That line had the theater rolling. That entire conversation/scene had people laughing.

That line had the theater rolling. That entire conversation/scene had people laughing.
Lol, it's fucikng great. Now to wait patiently as to when I can udder the line on a friend. : D

talk-correct-or-get-raped.jpg

Well, that was interesting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I suppose I'm disappointed, although if I didn't have any expectations due to knowing who the director was, then I might just consider this a decent thing to watch, but only if I was flipping through the channels on cable. Unfortunately, now I understand why it went straight to video, with a super limited theatrical release. If I saw this in a theater I would have felt a bit robbed. There are elements of it that I really enjoyed, but holy shit there are a lot of facepalms to be had as well. After seeing his first film, it was frankly surprising how poorly some of this sophomore effort is directed. The action scenes for starters, are terrible. Like, embarrassingly bad. When Vince Vaughn is beating people up, it looks like Leslie Nielsen in a comedy scene from the Naked Gun series. Everything is slow, and unrealistically violent, to the point of actually just being silly and having no impact. It's like the fight scenes were thought up & choreographed by an 11 year old. And so many logistics of the plot make zero sense, that I gave up caring about halfway through, and was just trying to appreciate the little things from then on. The story was trying to be serious, and yet its depiction of the criminal underworld makes the Grand Theft Auto video game series seem like documentaries. The prison stuff showed zero understanding of the subject matter as well, almost everything about it was ridiculous. The writer/director, S. Craig Zahler, showed immense promise with his first feature Bone Tomahawk, but it looks like I'm going to have to pump the brakes on having a new great filmmaker to add to the list just yet. This was a decent flick, but filled with problems, and downright goofy in many parts. Some fine actors, Vaughn actually delivers a solid performance, no fault of anyone else, but Zahler was way out of his element here. 6.5/10

Well, that was interesting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I suppose I'm disappointed, although if I didn't have any expectations due to knowing who the director was, then I might just consider this a decent thing to watch, if I was flipping through the channels. Unfortunately, now I understand why it went straight to video, with a super limited theatrical release. If I saw this in a theater I would have felt a bit robbed. There are elements of it that I really enjoyed, but holy shit there are a lot of facepalms to be had as well. After seeing his first film, it was frankly surprising how poorly some of this sophomore effort is directed. The action scenes for starters, are terrible. Like, embarrassingly bad. When Vince Vaughn is beating people up, it looks like Leslie Nielsen in a comedy scene from the Naked Gun series. Everything is slow, and unrealistically violent, to the point of actually just being silly and having no impact. It's like the fight scenes were thought up & choreographed by an 11 year old. And so many logistics of the plot make zero sense, that I gave up caring about halfway through, and was just trying to appreciate the little things from then on. The story was trying to be serious, and yet its depiction of the criminal underworld makes the Grand Theft Auto video game series seem like documentaries. The prison stuff showed zero understanding of the subject matter as well, almost everything about it was ridiculous. The writer/director, S. Craig Zahler, showed immense promise with his first feature Bone Tomahawk, but it looks like I'm going to have to pump the brakes on having a new great filmmaker to add to the list just yet. This was a decent flick, but filled with problems, and downright goofy in many parts. Some fine actors, Vaughn actually delivers a solid performance, no fault of anyone else, but Zahler was way out of his element here. 6.5/10

Damn. Well that's a bit disappointing to hear.

I guess I'll have to give it a look and see if I concur.

I loved Bone Tomahawk--I've watched it three times already--so I'm rooting for him. His next film is supposed to have Vaughn and Mel Gibson. Hopefully it will be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
His next film is supposed to have Vaughn and Mel Gibson. Hopefully it will be cool.

I'm still in. Just seeing those two onscreen together will be gold, and with Zahler behind the wheel it should be at least decent, if not great.

The reaction shot of them at the golden globes watching Meryl Streep drone on about politics was epic:

920x920.jpg

I'm still in. Just seeing those two onscreen together will be gold, and with Zahler behind the wheel it should be at least decent, if not great.

The reaction shot of them at the golden globes watching Meryl Streep drone on about politics was epic:

920x920.jpg

Legit LOLd at that picture.

I think I remember reading that Vaughn is a conservative and we know Mel is too, so that doesn't surprise me.

920x920.jpg
21307994.jpg

Hopefully the movie they are working on together is another retelling of The Bible, with Vince Vaughn as a fast-talking charming Jesus, who calls everyone 'baby'

Well, that was interesting. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I suppose I'm disappointed, although if I didn't have any expectations due to knowing who the director was, then I might just consider this a decent thing to watch, but only if I was flipping through the channels on cable. Unfortunately, now I understand why it went straight to video, with a super limited theatrical release. If I saw this in a theater I would have felt a bit robbed. There are elements of it that I really enjoyed, but holy shit there are a lot of facepalms to be had as well. After seeing his first film, it was frankly surprising how poorly some of this sophomore effort is directed. The action scenes for starters, are terrible. Like, embarrassingly bad. When Vince Vaughn is beating people up, it looks like Leslie Nielsen in a comedy scene from the Naked Gun series. Everything is slow, and unrealistically violent, to the point of actually just being silly and having no impact. It's like the fight scenes were thought up & choreographed by an 11 year old. And so many logistics of the plot make zero sense, that I gave up caring about halfway through, and was just trying to appreciate the little things from then on. The story was trying to be serious, and yet its depiction of the criminal underworld makes the Grand Theft Auto video game series seem like documentaries. The prison stuff showed zero understanding of the subject matter as well, almost everything about it was ridiculous. The writer/director, S. Craig Zahler, showed immense promise with his first feature Bone Tomahawk, but it looks like I'm going to have to pump the brakes on having a new great filmmaker to add to the list just yet. This was a decent flick, but filled with problems, and downright goofy in many parts. Some fine actors, Vaughn actually delivers a solid performance, no fault of anyone else, but Zahler was way out of his element here. 6.5/10

I just finished watching it, never heard of it, until I saw this thread the other day.

I thought it started slow, but got better & better, the last 20 mins were awesome/insane

p.s Prison films are one of my favorite ever genres too, probably why I loved Prison Break season 1 so much.

Same here, and I happen to love prison movies as one of my favorite genres.

More excited for this movie than any other coming out for the rest of the year I think.

You saw / liked Shot Caller? (Jaime from GoT)

MV5BMGY0YTM3MjItZmExMy00NDgyLThjNzUtZWQ1MzY2NGRmMjZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzYyMzE1NjA@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Back