Bravo To Luke Thomas' Monday Morning Analysis

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He completely clarified the controversy for me. I think Kevin Lee should move forward from this fight, and not give Chiesa the rematch.

Conor McGregor has laid out the blueprint on how to move forward with your fighting career. Don't try to please the fans, just move forward to bigger challenges.

Let the fans cry and complain. Kevin Lee needs to keep calling out Khabib and Tony Ferguson to put himself in title shot talks. Every fight can be lost, so there is no point going back, even if the fans doubt you.

No commission will overturn that decision. It is in the record books. Move forward with your career Kevin Lee.

lol Luke Thomas doesn't know shit.

Someone actually smart likely explained it to him.

It was a bad stoppage but who really gives a shit? Chiesa would have gone out or tapped out in a matter of seconds anyway.

No way he deserves a rematch.

Should he be pissed at Yamasaki?

Yes. Yamasaki did a shit job.

Did it affect the outcome of the fight?

Fuck no.

It was a bad stoppage but who really gives a shit? Chiesa would have gone out or tapped out in a matter of seconds anyway.

No way he deserves a rematch.

Should he be pissed at Yamasaki?

Yes. Yamasaki did a shit job.

Did it affect the outcome of the fight?

Fuck no.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Luke needs to stop condesplaining to fighters and check his privilege, imo.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

How many times have you seen someone get out of a rear naked choke after they've given up fighting it and just throw both arms out aimlessly?

How many times have you seen someone get out of a rear naked choke after they've given up fighting it and just throw both arms out aimlessly?

We just saw Kish fight through a deep RNC and survive. Why don't they just stop every fight every time they think someone is about to lose? Why give anyone a chance?

We just saw Kish fight through a deep RNC and survive. Why don't they just stop every fight every time they think someone is about to lose? Why give anyone a chance?

You know good and god damned well that that isn't what I'm saying...

Watch the fight again. Yamasaki stopped it when Chiesa STOPPED fighting the choke. Chiesa gave up his chance.

Was it too early to stop it? Yes. Just like I said before.

But it isn't like Chiesa was intelligently defending himself or something...

bad stoppage
That is only from your perspective as a fan.

Luke brought out a point that I made a post about, Why should the "intelligent defense rule only be applied to strikers?"

The MMA rules clearly give the Referee the latitude to stop a fight when the fighter can no longer intelligently defend him/herself. It doesn't specify that the rule only applies to striking.

Was it a bad stoppage for entertainment purposes? Yes, because the fans are angry they didn't get to see anybody go to sleep.

Was it a bad stoppage in the strict definition of the MMA rules that commissions enforce? No.

Also, Luke clarified that there is no rule that states the fighter either has to tap or go unconscious. If you can't intelligently defend, the referee has the right to stop the fight, and it is up to the referee to determine "intelligent defense."

The rules were perfectly applied by Mario Yamasaki regardless of how angry the fans get.

We saw Kish fighting to the point that she defecated on herself. Don't leave out that part if you are being genuine about this discussion. It is a very important distinction.

One fighter had the ability to fight themselves out of it, and the other stopped fighting, and could no longer intelligently defend himself. It is on tape.

Be genuine.

Bad decision for the fans. But good professional decision.

I get Luke's argument about intelligent defence, but BJM a guy who Luke looks up to for the rules, basically came out and said it was a bad call and made no mention of this interpretation. What gives?

bad stoppage
pros think it's a bad stoppage too. Anything these shertard analysis say are irrelevant. Tap nap or dislocation/break. Pretty simply no funny hands do not count. Mario could of ask Mike or lifted an arm up he didn't. Bad stoppage

Ironic using Conor as the example...guy got choked out then gets an immediate rematch with Diaz

Sounds like chiesa is using Conor's blueprints, not the other way around

We saw Kish fighting to the point that she defecated on herself. Don't leave out that part if you are being genuine about this discussion.

Yamasuckass stopped the fight at the very first sign of any trouble. You're basically telling a fighter that they can't stop for even a second. Actually, he didn't even stop, his arms were still moving at the time that shit ref stopped it. At least in the past the ref would grab the guy's arm and drop it, but here Suckass just decided on stopping it without giving him any kind of chance.

One fighter had the ability to fight themselves out of it, and the other stopped fighting, and could no longer intelligently defend himself. It is on tape.

How the hell do you know? You don't, you're just making a wild guess like the ref. How about intelligently stopping a fight instead of just making wild guesses? I think Chiesa immediately protesting showing that he wasn't about to go out is a fairly good indication. It is on tape.

You know good and god damned well that that isn't what I'm saying...

Watch the fight again. Yamasaki stopped it when Chiesa STOPPED fighting the choke. Chiesa gave up his chance.

Was it too early to stop it? Yes. Just like I said before.

But it isn't like Chiesa was intelligently defending himself or something...

He wasn't out. I think a ref should actually wait for it to be over before deciding that it is instead of guessing. He stopped it as soon as Chiesa moved his arms away, but he was still moving his arms at the time it was stopped. They might as well stopped the BJ Penn fight anytime in the 3rd round since he wasn't intelligently defending himself. How do you know what was better for Chiesa? Wasting his energy trying to struggle or conserve energy and gut it out to the bell? You're just guessing.

Yamasuckass stopped the fight at the very first sign of any trouble. You're basically telling a fighter that they can't stop for even a second. Actually, he didn't even stop, his arms were still moving at the time that shit ref stopped it. At least in the past the ref would grab the guy's arm and drop it, but here Suckass just decided on stopping it without giving him any kind of chance.

How the hell do you know? You don't, you're just making a wild guess like the ref. How about intelligently stopping a fight instead of just making wild guesses? I think Chiesa immediately protesting showing that he wasn't about to go out is a fairly good indication. It is on tape.
Dude stopped intelligently defending himself, and the rule states that the referee can stop the fight when a fighter stops intelligently defending himself, and it is up to the referee to determine what is intelligent defense.

Luke showed examples of BJM not even checking to make sure the fighter was unconscious.

So, it is weak to argue that Mario is suppose to do 1, 2 and 3 when other referees don't do it either.

The rule is clear. Defend yourself at all times. If you can't, on the judgment of the referee, then the referee has the duty to stop the fight. It doesn't say the rule is only for strikes and not chokes.

It is not required of the referee to give a fighter the benefit of the doubt. It is required of the fighter to prove that he/she is in control and moving with intelligent intention at all times.

Why was Ronda vs Nunes stopped? She was still on her feet and "fighting" and trying to avoid strikes. How do we know Nunes was going to finish her?

We saw The Damage come back from brutality. Maybe Ronda would have gain her senses, and made it to the stool for a second round.

The interpretation that matters is one that matches the rules that everybody has agreed upon.

Back