Brave woman makes a stand against misogyny

On one hand I applaud her for opting out of the dress code. On the other, she should abide by the customs of the place she's visiting.

If the meeting took place in France, let's say in a mosque, (here's looking at you Kathleen Wynne) then she would be 100% in the right. Seeing as that wasn't the case, I'm conflicted.
I disagree entirely. She's not some tourist visiting a foreign country, she's a state representative.

The liberal press would do much better to praise her for this, while still objecting to other policies she is proposing. Instead they just pretend it didn't happen. Problem is the information will still get out there, and the press are left looking like the hypocrites they are. They don't gatekeep information anymore yet they act as though they do.

Interesting point. If the meeting is of a secular nature, then why involve anything related to religion? Also, I have no idea how far diplomatic immunity extends, so that's not something I can comment on, but one would think it would protect people from acting in a manner contrary to their beliefs.

Hmm. Maybe I'll revise my stance to exclude diplomats from the "when in Rome" rule. A rule I'm rather anal about due to the migrant crisis in Europe, and my firm belief that immigrants should aclimate to the host culture, and not the other way around.

Thanks for giving me an "out". Ha

I think your point about customs is the best one in here. I mean i expect americans to take off their shoes when coming into my house. I wore a yamaka at a jewish bar mitzvah and wedding. However, does diplomatic meetings require people to follow customs they dont agree with?

Good for her for choosing her principles, but I don't think there's anything wrong with following the customs of the place your visiting either.

She probably just secured the election with this move.

58ac0d99c36188a6538b4589.jpg

French right-wing presidential candidate Marine Le Pen has refused to wear a headscarf for a meeting with the Lebanese Grand Mufti. In her statement, Le Pen said she would not cover herself up and cancelled the encounter.

After arriving, Le Pen was asked to wear a headscarf, but refused. According to AFP, Le Pen was given a veil by Mufti’s aides.

“You can pass on my respects to the Grand Mufti, but I will not cover myself up,” Le Pen told reporters.

https://www.rt.com/news/378079-le-pen-headscarf-lebanon/

Good for her, this what we want to see. Now where are all the feminists, leftists and sjw's to congratulate and support her in this fight against the oppression and subjugation of women?
I support this entirely.

I can understand the criticism feminists get for the hypocrisy of wearing the head scarf.

I just think it should be up to the woman or person.
If you want to wear it and sit in the corner like that Canadian politician that's fine. Up to her.
Le Pen not going to Lebanon because she doesn't want to wear a head scarf that is fine also.

They both obviously didn't do it because of any personal stand or opinion they solely did it for political gain.
Which is also fine.

I think your point about customs is the best one in here. I mean i expect americans to take off their shoes when coming into my house. I wore a yamaka at a jewish bar mitzvah and wedding. However, does diplomatic meetings require people to follow customs they dont agree with?
I think there's a difference between entering your house and doing something which is non-oppressive like taking off your shoes, and visiting a country as a state representative and being forced to wear a hijab. It's insulting and threatening imo. There's often severe punishments for not wearing the hijab, and there's plenty of women who would much rather not wear it. If I won't take off my shoes, you'll just kick me out and not inflict physical punishment on me...hopefully.

Or, conversely, she could wear the hijab and then when Muslim officials visit France they could force them to wear skinny jeans and berets.

french-person.jpg

Culture shmulture. It's Lebanon (as in the most religiously diverse shit hole in the ME.
"I met the grand mufti of Al-Azhar (in 2015, in Egypt)," she told reporters. "The highest Sunni authority didn't have this requirement, but it doesn't matter."

"You can pass on my respects to the grand mufti, but I will not cover myself up," she insisted.

Le Pen has been outspoken in her opposition to the headscarf and has stated that she would ban all religious symbols in public places.
Some guy was trying to hand her a scarf, and she ended up turning her back on him.

I like the cut of her jib.

I applaud her!

Meanwhile, the self-proclaimed feminist government of Sweden.

women-Swedish.jpg
It's such an awkward photo, I mean, is not one of these people enjoying themselves whatsoever? Are they feeling persecuted and put on show themselves? Quick Connor, they could all use a distraction!
DEXATI20170221111016.png

Back