Boy scouts to admit girls. Why?

The skills that Boy Scouts teach are awesome and should be learned by boys and girls alike. There's nothing manly about the shit they do.

I agree that a lot of these skills should be learned by girls. I disagree that there is nothing manly about them.

But a big focus of the Boy Scouts was to have a safe space for boys to be boys and have a man to guide them, I think that is a great thing as well and you're going to lose a piece of that with this. I think there's plenty of room for a comprise though and having events where the boys and girls get quality time together as separate groups will fix that aspect. The problem here is that there's a real effort to tear down gender and gender roles, which has some merit but is taken to a ridiculous extreme by a very vocal minority at the moment. This will be about destroying the concept of gender altogether for them and that is just foolish.

I think you are spot on here. Gender roles got too restrictive after the end of the Second World War, but tearing down the concept of gender and gender roles entirely is like demolishing a house because you hate the wallpaper.

Real men who aren't insecure in their sexuality or threatened by female empowerment, probably.

From what I've seen, many real men are not secure in their sexuality and are threatened by powerful women in many contexts. Those things need to be developed intentionally. A big part of what is needed is programs that help males develop a positive masculinity: skilled, dependable, resourceful, good.

I'm not interested in the Boy Scouts teaching much about sexuality either way, but it will be more difficult for them to shape boys as boys going forward.

I disagree. I think the boy scouts are learning necessary skills to be a man. It is manly to learn all those things.

You have a few good points though..
Like you know anything about being a man. Go hide your head in the sand you limp wristed wuss.

Why not just call it kid scouts?

Because apparently if you are a boy you are not allowed to have any kind of club.

I thought you were better than this^
I have no respect for you, dude. Until you can learn to discuss things like an adult instead of poking your head in to threads to repeat yourself like a frivolous child, I don't have time for you.

I agree that a lot of these skills should be learned by girls. I disagree that there is nothing manly about them.

I think you are spot on here. Gender roles got too restrictive after the end of the Second World War, but tearing down the concept of gender and gender roles entirely is like demolishing a house because you hate the wallpaper.
I think being strong, independent, informed, and a team player should be the goal for everyone.

I think being strong, independent, informed, and a team player should be the goal for everyone.

Yes. I strongly agree. But how that is approached is not the same for boys and for girls. They are not psychologically interchangeable.

As an Eagle Scout this really rustles my jimmies. The girls can do their own shit and stay in their own organization. Im glad im out now.

well okay hahahah
What's the joke? The men (and one woman) I've met who are Boy Scout administrators and Troop leaders have been good people. I'm sure there are exceptions. What do you base your cynicism on?

What's the joke? The men (and one woman) I've met who are Boy Scout administrators and Troop leaders have been good people. I'm sure there are exceptions. What do you base your cynicism on?
mostly the pedophiles, but even just the regular ones are so dorky and I just can't stand scouts people in general. Belgium here, so it might be a cultural difference although the Simpsons taught me scouts are terrible in the USA.

And Hollywood, and the Democrat Party, and the public school system, and NCAA football.

BTW, what is your source on the Scouts tolerance of pedophilia? This is news to me.

I'll not defend any group that doesn't deal with abuse the right way. I do hold some organizations to a higher standard than others because of what they claim to be. Church vs Sports program for example. Also, I try to distinguish between the bad actions of a small group vs a systemic issue. Is there evidence of Nation or Statewide public school cover-up of abuse? I've not heard of any but would be interested to hear.

Hollywood has had a sickening cultural problem for many years but I am not sure that there is a clear leadership that orchestrates cover-ups.

To clarify, I think anything short of an ass-whooping and notifying the police vs gently ushering a leader out of the scouts is tolerance of thoug not n cessarily condimg of the actions. Sort of like how I tolerate my business partners recreational drug habit but I don't condone it.

I'm on mobile today, but here is a quick link and if you Google "Pervision Files" you will find lots of articles about a decades-long trove of internal Scout documents about abuse the Scouts were forced to turn over as evidence in an Oregon case. Here in Athens, Ga they waited until the 3rd boy accused a leader of abuse and then simply let the abuser drop out of th leadership role in Scouting. He later helped at an orphan age where he lived in a house with 7 young boys.

And before anybody (not you) says it was different times. Let me see say that the sarcastic WR meme "Different culture, hard to judge" applies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ae53cdeaf69_story.html?utm_term=.decdbfd85c5e

I don't know the first thing about boy scouts or girl scouts. I just saw this on the news. Why are girls joining the boy scouts? Why would a girl even want to join the boy scouts?

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836

Good idea? Bad idea? Pros? Cons? Is it unacceptable for boys to do boy things and girls to do girl things?

Some girls like camping. My sons' troop has taken girls camping for years, but mom or dad is there as well. It's easier for families that have multiple kids to enroll them in the same program instead of running across town to 2 separate meetings.

For BSA it's more about more members and money. BSA (the parent org) is certainly about making $.

It's pros are that it will be convenient for families and generate more money for BSA

The cons are multiple:
Part of the scouting experience is simply being around all boys - its a way of male bonding.

Who feels comfortable sending their 16 yr old daughter to week long camps with a bunch of horny teens? Yes, I know there are lots of coed camps, but this one has always been different.

Then there's the point of female teens being alone with adult men - no way that could ever go wrong.

The Boy Scouts are probably infiltrated by politically correct leftists at the top like most big organizations.

They are. The whole debacle about gays joining came from a directive of the national bsa and caused several troops to withdraw from scouting.

Its funny that liberals are celebrating this, when it basically means death for the girl scouts

Back