Boxing's Most Exciting Division??

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Had this discussion at the gym the other day.
A couple of guys, and myself posed the question: "which division is the most exciting in boxing right now, and why?"

I say it's undeniably the Welterweight Division. Here is why:

With talks of Floyd coming back to face Pacquiao who holds a belt at welterweight, attention will again be on the division.

WAIT!!!
Crawford also took a belt this year after moving up in weight, previously being the undisputed champion at 140. Crawford has also expressed interest in Pacquiao.

Spence with the IBF is on Thurman's tail, and wants his belt, ready for any fight along the way.

Porter just took a decision victory over Garcia making him the WBC titleholder.

Can't count Garcia or Khan out of the running. Even though they are outliers in the sense that they currently hold no titles they are B-A level fighters. They will show up to fight, and regain gold.

I'm convinced that Welterweight is where it's at.

Do you guys agree? Or are there are other divisions outside of Welterweight that are bringing more excitement to the sport of boxing?

Had this discussion at the gym the other day.
A couple of guys, and myself posed the question: "which division is the most exciting in boxing right now, and why?"

I say it's undeniably the Welterweight Division. Here is why:

With talks of Floyd coming back to face Pacquiao who holds a belt at welterweight, attention will again be on the division.

WAIT!!!
Crawford also took a belt this year after moving up in weight, previously being the undisputed champion at 140. Crawford has also expressed interest in Pacquiao.

Spence with the IBF is on Thurman's tail, and wants his belt, ready for any fight along the way.

Porter just took a decision victory over Garcia making him the WBC titleholder.

Can't count Garcia or Khan out of the running. Even though they are outliers in the sense that they currently hold no titles they are B-A level fighters. They will show up to fight, and regain gold.

I'm convinced that Welterweight is where it's at.

Do you guys agree? Or are there are other divisions outside of Welterweight that are bringing more excitement to the sport of boxing?
I am liking the Heavyweight division: Tyson, Wilder, AJ , Ortiz, Parker, Miller

but you make a strong case

Fury came back to put those boys on notice!! Fury v Wilder is going to be sick come December. I can't wait for the press conference lol. Both great fighters, both great personalities.

Fury came back to put those boys on notice!! Fury v Wilder is going to be sick come December. I can't wait for the press conference lol. Both great fighters, both great personalities.
So true, Crazy how 1 man can make the division.
I remember when he beat Klitschko how a large group of people were saying the heavyweight div is alive again( me again) then he had to leave. Glad he is back, for some strange reason I feel he is going beat Wilder

Welterweights wont fight each other. Bantamweight is the most exciting right now because they are all in a big tournament. HW is a close second though.

HWs for me. AJ vs Wilder is the biggest fight to make for me. Nations will Collide, a King will be Crowned and a New Era will began and the HW Divison will again be the Greatest Division in Boxing.

This year for me it's HW. I loved the Wilder/Ortiz fight and was super excited for Whyte/Parker. Chisora/Takam was FOTY material. Povetkin's KO of Price is a highlight reel taken out of a movie. Plus we have tonight AJ in a potentially interesting fight and Wilder/Fury a perfect fight to close 2018.

So true, Crazy how 1 man can make the division.
I remember when he beat Klitschko how a large group of people were saying the heavyweight div is alive again( me again) then he had to leave. Glad he is back, for some strange reason I feel he is going beat Wilder

I think he has a better chance than Joshua. This is the way I see it:

Wilder beats Joshua
Fury beats both

I think the HW division is the most exciting at the moment. We have the current top runners in Wilder, Joshua and Fury and then lots of slightly lower level fighters like Whyte, Ortiz, Povetkin, and Parker and then you have the up and comers like Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois

I would add Whyte into that also, its a lot better than it has been for many years(although i feel the likes of Ortiz and Miller are one loss away from not being relevant)

for me its always welter and middleweights....always a large talent pool

Welterweights wont fight each other. Bantamweight is the most exciting right now because they are all in a big tournament. HW is a close second though.

Yeah, ww is the most stacked but that means shit unless the top fighters start taking some risks.
Bw, lw, hw & LHW are probably my current favourites. CW before usyk cleaned up

Last edited:
This year for me it's HW. I loved the Wilder/Ortiz fight and was super excited for Whyte/Parker. Chisora/Takam was FOTY material. Povetkin's KO of Price is a highlight reel taken out of a movie. Plus we have tonight AJ in a potentially interesting fight and Wilder/Fury a perfect fight to close 2018.

My favourite fight of the year! Got a soft spot for Del Boy and wrote him off for this fight. The finish, especially the 2nd knock down was funny as fck

My favourite fight of the year! Got a soft spot for Del Boy and wrote him off for this fight. The finish, especially the 2nd knock down was funny as fck

I liked Chisora as a prospect when he fought Helenius. Thought he was robbed back then. Then I thought he was an idiot after he slapped Vitali at the weigh ins. But I find it hard to root against fighters I've followed for a long time. He is talking a bit slow but I hope he is all okay and damage isn't done from all those wars he has had.

Light Flyweight, the top guys are repeatedly facing each other, incredibly depth, great match up of styles. Easily the best division in the sport.

Back