Boxing with short legs long arms

wstewart

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm 5'6" 165lbs with a 72 inch wing span just starting boxing. I'm wondering if I could be competitive at my weight or if it would be more pratical to go down in weight and potentially lose muscle mass so I'm not at such a height disadvantage. I imagine I'd be cutting water weight for weigh-ins either way but based on what I've read, thd average height even at the 126 and 135 lb weight classes is 5'7". Could anybody recommend any short boxers with long arms for me to study?

Side note: I've done a little muay thai on and off and might pick it up again someday so recommendations of thai boxers or kickboxers are welcome as well.

As someone who has been "forced" to compete in an unatural weight class, I do not recommend it. There is literally no point on "making weight" if you're going to be lethargic, weak, and a borderline zombie. I've seen first hand guys that have decent muscle mass that don't destroy themselves trying to make weight, perform extremely well.

Its understandable if you are at a significant height disadvantage to the average, say about 5-8", but if its 1-3", its not a problem. Also it depends on how you fare, I personally do well competing against taller competitors, and have a much harder time with shorter fighters. One reason being, I'm shorter than most of the people I train with, and I'm a forward pressing type fighter than maintaining distance type.

Actually a height advantage is more prevalent in MT than boxing (control 2/3 ranges), so its not too bad. If its a same day weigh in, the most you should cut would be 10lbs. Its uncommon in MT to see a few guys compete in 126, but are around 5'10-5'11. Really the height depends on the region imo. A place where MMA and wrestling is dominant, you'll come across MMA fighters who will be short and stocky, if the place you're competing in is more striking dominant, you'll come across lanky thin guys. So its really a toss up, after finding out where you feel at your best, then research the types of opponent you'll be facing. From my exp in MT, typical strikers are:

115 - 5'3
126 - 5'5-5'8
132 - 5'7 - 5'9
140 - 5'8
147 - 5'7 - 5'10
153 - 5'8 - 6'1
160 - 5'9 - 6'3
165 - 5'11+
170 - 6' - 6'4

I don't remember the specific weight class numbers so its more "ish"

As someone who has been "forced" to compete in an unatural weight class, I do not recommend it. There is literally no point on "making weight" if you're going to be lethargic, weak, and a borderline zombie. I've seen first hand guys that have decent muscle mass that don't destroy themselves trying to make weight, perform extremely well.

Its understandable if you are at a significant height disadvantage to the average, say about 5-8", but if its 1-3", its not a problem. Also it depends on how you fare, I personally do well competing against taller competitors, and have a much harder time with shorter fighters. One reason being, I'm shorter than most of the people I train with, and I'm a forward pressing type fighter than maintaining distance type.

Actually a height advantage is more prevalent in MT than boxing (control 2/3 ranges), so its not too bad. If its a same day weigh in, the most you should cut would be 10lbs. Its uncommon in MT to see a few guys compete in 126, but are around 5'10-5'11. Really the height depends on the region imo. A place where MMA and wrestling is dominant, you'll come across MMA fighters who will be short and stocky, if the place you're competing in is more striking dominant, you'll come across lanky thin guys. So its really a toss up, after finding out where you feel at your best, then research the types of opponent you'll be facing. From my exp in MT, typical strikers are:

115 - 5'3
126 - 5'5-5'8
132 - 5'7 - 5'9
140 - 5'8
147 - 5'7 - 5'10
153 - 5'8 - 6'1
160 - 5'9 - 6'3
165 - 5'11+
170 - 6' - 6'4

Thanks. This was really helpful. If a 2-3 inch height disadvantage isn't too big of a deal then I could make due especially since I have a lot of reach. I'm sure most people I spar with will be taller as well so hopefully I'll be used to it.

110 - < 5'3 (super J123 manlet class)
115 - 5'3
126 - 5'5-5'8
132 - 5'7 - 5'9
140 - 5'8
147 - 5'7 - 5'10
153 - 5'8 - 6'1
160 - 5'9 - 6'3
165 - 5'11+
170 - 6' - 6'4

I fixed it for you J123............

I fixed it for you J123............
lol

That's @AndyMaBobs 's weight class

I'm a Sherdogger:

6'5
300lbs @ 4% bodyfat
500-0-1 street fighting record
UFC won't sign me because I'd rip through all the divisions at once

lol

I'm a Sherdogger:

5'7
300lbs @ 40% body fat
WOW Level capped Night Elf Mage
UFC won't sign me to commentate because of health and safety issues and I live in my parents basement and I don't pay rent biatches.............

I fixed it again for you.......this is getting to be a habit........

I fixed it again for you.......this is getting to be a habit........
By the end of the year, training discussion will be merged into the berry

And you J123 will be the Queen of all berry and even Sinister will bend a knee to your knowledge.........of the rules

You're still fat at 165. It's completely possible to drop weight if you diet correctly. Some people aren't capable of dieting correctly though so if not then yeah just stay at natural weight clas

You're still fat at 165. It's completely possible to drop weight if you diet correctly. Some people aren't capable of dieting correctly though so if not then yeah just stay at natural weight clas

Not really fat. I've never been a big eater and it was a struggle for me toI bulk up to 180 lbs over the course of many years for powerlifting. I lost weight going through a divorce and decided to take the opportunity to recondition my body for endurance instead of trying to regain size and strength. It's still kind of hard for me to eat and I'm probably still losing weight.

lol

It GENUINELY is my weight class. I'm that guy in the gym who's small, doesn't do great at the exercise part but likes talking technique. I can't even claim to be an athlete, and 90% of F11 would clown me.

It GENUINELY is my weight class. I'm that guy in the gym who's small, doesn't do great at the exercise part but likes talking technique. I can't even claim to be an athlete, and 90% of F11 would clown me.
@AndyMaBobs confirmed as that BJJ guy who when getting subbed calls time out to critique technique

Not really fat. I've never been a big eater and it was a struggle for me toI bulk up to 180 lbs over the course of many years for powerlifting. I lost weight going through a divorce and decided to take the opportunity to recondition my body for endurance instead of trying to regain size and strength. It's still kind of hard for me to eat and I'm probably still losing weight.
Ah a former power lifter.
So are you saying you have like a Chad mendes or mike zambidis body type? If so then I guess you really can't go down by more than 5 lbs. If you have a similar body type to them then you're probably just gonna be that short thick guy for your weight class. Fight like a powerhouse.

Both 5'6 and fight at 145 and 150. If I had to guess they probably walk around 160-165 when in good shape. Can't think of any 5'6 welterweight (147) boxers though

Pre-USADA Mendes
7675016-375x413-1427899486.jpg

Iron Mike Zambidis
Zambo_belt.jpg

Sorry about that divorce too. I'm sure cardio-based exercise should help you be less depressed

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back