Boxing vs muay Thai.

Muay Thai Boxer is stronger in Boxing than Typical boxer

because in Muay Thai, they do not recognize any hit if it did not shake/affect the second boxer. Meanwhile in boxing they recoginse any hit and consider a point even if it did not harm the second player.

Last edited:

because in Muay Thai do not recognize any hit if it did not shake/affect the second boxer. meanwhile in boxing the recoginst any hit and consider a point even if it did not harm the second player.

Stop posting.

Yeah, too much of what gets called Muay Thai in MMA is boxing with some kicks or American-style kick-boxing.

Knees are devastating, are safer to throw than kicks, woefully underutilized in MMA and a huge part of MT, as well as standing elbows. Guys who use them effectively (like Overeem and Jones) do really well. Guys who try and a have an American-style kick-boxing match with boxer/wrestlers tend not to do as well.

Rogan tends to call all non-hand striking Muay Thai, but it's not... keep that in mind.

cerrone's mt isn't all that, his kickboxing is pretty decent offensively; his problem is he is a one dimensional, one directional fighter. An he faced a guy who is more or less the same type of guy; diaz was just able to force a pace, and a range that effectively exposed the holes in donalds game. The holes being poor def footwork, inability to maintain/extend range (with footwork/strikes) and a lack of head/upperbody movement; all this means is the minute his forward progress is stopped or he is moving back he is a punching bag with legs and arms.

he had no idea how to get around nates offense to counter or limit his opportunities to apply it or how to get away from it; he stood tall the whole fight, in and out of the pocket and gave nate a huge target to fire off on.

cerrone is effective GOING FORWARD-ESTABLISHING PACE-PLACE OF fight; WHEN YOU TAKE THAT AWAY ITS A WRAP FOR HIM...its not so much his tech style, but his philosophical and strategical one.

Yeah, too much of what gets called Muay Thai in MMA is boxing with some kicks or American-style kick-boxing.

Knees are devastating, are safer to throw than kicks, woefully underutilized in MMA and a huge part of MT, as well as standing elbows. Guys who use them effectively (like Overeem and Jones) do really well. Guys who try and a have an American-style kick-boxing match with boxer/wrestlers tend not to do as well.

Rogan tends to call all non-hand striking Muay Thai, but it's not... keep that in mind.

and too much that is called boxing is really kickboxing with an emphasis on hands..

Devantes assessment is correct.

Also to add something to this illusion that MT guys can't Box, there has been a dozen stadium fighters from Thailand that have transitioned into Boxing and won major titles. The reason you don't see an emphasis on hands in most Muay Thai fights is because it's a low scoring technique. If you don't get the KO you lose the decision.

Not what I'm saying at all. Diaz won because he had better boxing. That's the only reason. He fought a good kick boxer who was using only kickboxing and Diaz was pretty much just dirty boxing. Now Diaz does have muay Thai knowledge so it allowed him to be able to stop what cerrone was doing but pretty much that fight was dirty boxing vs kickboxing and boxing won in that situation.

Everything you just said was wrong.

1. Nate was not Dirty Boxing.

2. Cerrone was not straight Kickboxing, he got dragged into a boxing match. Had he stuck to his Muay Thai and fought smart he'd of done much better. Just look at the success of his kicks and knees when they were actually thrown.

3. Not anything vs anything they're MMA fighters.

p.s. I'm tired of these threads.

Knees are devastating, are safer to throw than kicks, woefully underutilized in MMA and a huge part of MT, as well as standing elbows. Guys who use them effectively (like Overeem and Jones) do really well.
Agree 100% with this. Knees are such a great weapon, yet they're totally underutilized and not really done correctly when they are. The Thais have good hips and are able to essentially stab people with their knees. MMA fighters don't have that same hip extension and tend to just throw weak knees of little consequence. Big mistake imo. A lot of the most dominant fighters in Thailand simply have a strong knee game. An MMA fighter with such a skill set would be an absolute nightmare b/c no one in this sport trains to deal with that type of attack. I really don't think knees leave you as off balance as kicks do, and they enable you to essentially smother a guy's attack.

Elbows are also incredibly effective in close range and against punches. There were a lot of times in the fight where I thought Cerrone could take a step forward as Nate was punching and throw an elbow. He wouldn't even need to land accurately like he would with a punch. If he hit Nate anywhere it probably would have cut him. The last few Thai Fight Extreme events have highlighted the effectiveness of this.

Blue has some great knees. Check 1:08 to see how he smothers a strong puncher's attack:

Agree 100% with this. Knees are such a great weapon, yet they're totally underutilized and not really done correctly when they are. The Thais have good hips and are able to essentially stab people with their knees. MMA fighters don't have that same hip extension and tend to just throw weak knees of little consequence. Big mistake imo. A lot of the most dominant fighters in Thailand simply have a strong knee game. An MMA fighter with such a skill set would be an absolute nightmare b/c no one in this sport trains to deal with that type of attack. I really don't think knees leave you as off balance as kicks do, and they enable you to essentially smother a guy's attack.

Elbows are also incredibly effective in close range and against punches. There were a lot of times in the fight where I thought Cerrone could take a step forward as Nate was punching and throw an elbow. He wouldn't even need to land accurately like he would with a punch. If he hit Nate anywhere it probably would have cut him. The last few Thai Fight Extreme events have highlighted the effectiveness of this.

Yeah, now that the UFC has the lighter divisions I hope some Thai's (I know culturally they tend to hate the grappling aspect of MMA) will start making the transition into the sport. It would be great to really see some world-class MT guys make the transition.

because in Muay Thai, they do not recognize any hit if it did not shake/affect the second boxer. Meanwhile in boxing the recoginst any hit and consider a point even if it did not harm the second player.

tumblr_lj7eh0sjKh1qafrh6.gif

Yeah, now that the UFC has the lighter divisions I hope some Thai's (I know culturally they tend to hate the grappling aspect of MMA) will start making the transition into the sport. It would be great to really see some world-class MT guys make the transition.
The #1 125 pound Mixed Martial Artist is already Thai...

What was the "situation" ? The situation was the range. Boxing is usually more effective within shorter range. Why did Diaz and Cerrone fight at that range? BECAUSE DIAZ WAS BETTER AT FORCING THEM TO FIGHT AT THE RANGE WHERE HE WAS STRONGEST.

Watch that first clip I posted. It's a total farce. But why did the kickboxer win? Not because kickboxing is better than boxing. But because he controlled the range.
Because they matched an in his prime prime top kickboxer against a 40 year washed up old boxer.

Back