Boxing vs MMA : Using the "streetfight approach"

Guns>mma in a streetfight....walking away is probably the smart thing to do.

Thanks Sonny and Astrael, for clearly demonstrating one of my most vehement points.

A man's Profession of choice doesn't say much about his entire scope of knowledge. Just because a guy Boxes, doesn't mean he's going to be utterly clueless as to what to do if someone tries to kick him, or if they try and take him down. Boxers as Combat Sport athletes have been dealing with that ignorant notion for as long as Boxing has been around.

To add another name to mediocre Boxers who are real-life badasses, Mayorga. He's pretty notorious in Nicaragua for being someone you don't wanna fuck with in the streets.

you forgot about manny pacquiao!

IMO...MMA is more suitable in a street fight than boxing...most fights end up on the ground or in some sort of wrestling match...MMA would be better defending yourself.....

the only thing is i would not want to be on the ground in a butterfly guard while fighting s/o....anyy body can stomp on your face.....

MUAY THAI------->MMA------------->BOXING

when it comes to street fighting.....

have you ever heard of the term, all fights start out standing?

Most "streetfights" are over or essentially over when the first punch lands.

Most "streetfights" are also decided by who's the tougher guy that can do the most damage in the shortest amount of time.

Most streetfights are usually begun with 2 guys up in eachothers face then one of them throws a punch at short range.

Under these criteria the boxer has an immense advantage.

And against multiple opponents? Look at the youtube vid of that turkish boxer taking on 10 guys at once and knocking them all on there asses while they couldn't lay a hand on them. A grappler wouldn't have a chance in a situation like that, sure he takes one guy down, then the rest of them boot his head in.

some boxers would fare better on the street than others, same goes with MMA fighters.

It depends on the fighter more than the style, but I'd take a guy like Tyson or Sonny liston at their bests in a streetfight against pretty much any MMA fighter ever.

Way too accurate and way too powerful, they'd land bombs before a guy would even be able to get close to them and without gloves even a blocked or glancing shot would be enough to knock just about anyone senseless.

Plus if you got them down, then what? These guys know how to fight dirty. you try to triangle choke or armbar either of them and your getting your nuts bit or ripped off. You mount them and that puts your crotch in firing range of their fists.

In the end though, this "streetfight" argument is garbage. Do you hear football fans saying that their sport is better than basketball because a football player might win in a mythological streetfight that'll never happen.

Give a 5 year old a gun and his "style" will trump both boxing and mma in a streetfight anyday.

as for the streetfights that actually happened or nearly happened between MMA fighters and boxers, here are two examples:

Lee Murray vs tito Ortiz, Murray who was a good 40 lbs lighter than Ortiz knocked him out.

Also what about Ralph Gracie, he challenged Roy Jones to a "real fight", Jones responded by saying sure, I'll meet you in the parking lot. It turned out ralph didn't want a real fight, he wanted an mma match.

just curious...who here has been in a streetfight? I know I haven't.

I have.

I know MMA and boxing, but it's my boxing skills that kept me standing in the end.

I got a knife pulled on me one time and in that instance it was Run Fu, not boxing, or JJ that saved my ass.

I have.

I know MMA and boxing, but it's my boxing skills that kept me standing in the end.

I got a knife pulled on me one time and in that instance it was Run Fu, not boxing, or JJ that saved my ass.

Run Fu hahahaha...good one.

I've been in my fair share of street fights, usually one on one's but ive been in a few brawls. MMA is better than boxing in one on one, cause u have more options. but if im in a big brawl the best thing to do is just stick and move so boxing would be a better option

psshh, boxing and mma arent shit in a street fight, TKD rules!
ian_twistkick.jpg

you wanna deal with a twist kick to the face in a street fight?? i sure dont!

i've had some. in most cases i had to resort to grappling because i was never a good boxer and was usually at a height/reach disadvantage.:redface: so, if i couldn't overwhelm a guy with some initial punches i usually had to take it to the ground where we were the same size.

i've never been attacked by the other guys' friends while on the ground. although i recall once being hit in the side of the head with a broom handle while stuffing a takedown. but, in general i do know that onlookers don't like to watch fights go to the ground. even though i've never been attacked on the ground, i've been begged and pleaded with to stand back up by people watching whenver i did take it there. so, i'm convinced that a stand-up oriented fighter is more preferable to have with you in a streetfight.

I havent but ive spent my fair share of time in bars. HAHA.

In my experience it really varies. The one thing I do know is that fights end QUICKLY. You dont see a guy get put in full guard and than followed by 10 minutes of lay and pray.

There were cases where 2 guys just slugged it out and the person who landed first won. But there are also cases where 2 guys were in close and ended up doing a fair bit of clinching, than they hit the ground and it was broken up by others.

Most of the time nothing really materializes and it consists of 2 people face to face and nothing happens. In this case, if something were to happen its logical to think that a boxer would have a huge advantage because of his superior handspeed to let one fly on his opponents dome.

I do know a bouncer whos been taking BJJ for years and he said hes never had to use it because the fights never hit the ground.

Really it varies. In my opinion, id prefer a solid all-around base such as MMA but lets not kid ourselves a boxer would hold his own against 99% of the population.

I've trained in BJJ and Judo but I think that boxing and muay thai are much better for streetfights. The best thing against grapplers is a good takedown defense. If you know how to sprawl that will solve just about any grappling you'll ever face in a street fight.

Usually the first punch does it. I know I hit hard but not that hard. I think it's the shock, that wake-up-call when they realize that they can really get hurt. The advantage of Muay Thai is a leg kick is low, fast, stable, and few people can effectively defend against them. Anyone can punch, but w/o some training it's highly unlikely that you can block a shin kick. The safest kick I've used is the switch kick. It's confusing and allows you to move away from their rear hand to a safe position while attacking their lead leg. Most people lean back on their rear leg because they think you're head hunting. This exposes the inside knee of their front leg to your shin. Very painful.

I've trained in BJJ and Judo but I think that boxing and muay thai are much better for streetfights. The best thing against grapplers is a good takedown defense. If you know how to sprawl that will solve just about any grappling you'll ever face in a street fight.
Usually the first punch does it. I know I hit hard but not that hard. I think it's the shock, that wake-up-call when they realize that they can really get hurt. The advantage of Muay Thai is a leg kick is low, fast, stable, and few people can effectively defend against them. Anyone can punch, but w/o some training it's highly unlikely that you can block a shin kick. The safest kick I've used is the switch kick. It's confusing and allows you to move away from their rear hand to a safe position while attacking their lead leg. Most people lean back on their rear leg because they think you're head hunting. This exposes the inside knee of their front leg to your shin. Very painful.

these are two of the truest points, having seen alot and been in a few fights; people's tone in a fight changes the first time they get cracked, alot of people spaz/lose their composure.. you can see it can click in their head when they take a shot and understand they have been hurt and can be hurt. Most people can fight, the issue is FIGHTING BACK and once they took a couple or series of shots their tone changes; as most people are frontrunners in fights, as long as they have the adv their beasts, the min it evens out or the other person starts coming back they deccelerate.

as far as the ground if u have a good sprawl or rev/bridge u are fine; most people aren't trying to maintain or gain position, they are just getting u down to avoid the beating they are taking standing and just try to bomb u out on the ground. If u got a good rev/bridge u will get them off of u, get away from them, or get on top and put it on them. That is really as far as it goes.

but in a few instances i have been grounded i had to sub someone, one time i bridged; had that blocked and rnc'ed one dude, leg locked another guy, and popped aother guys elbow w/a kimura. Other than those instances, it was me using anti grappling to control or def takedwon/clinch attempts while exchanging strikes.

now if u fight a trained guy its a little diff and i have done that a few times, but in most cases the bolded comments are true... trained people are prepared to fight back and their awareness/skill makes it hard

as a bouncer for years I have been watching fights.Military trained guys vs douchie gym bums,boxers vs n.a.g.a guys, other martial art disciplines vs kickboxing ,krav maga ,judo ect.. bikers vs fireman,cops vs army,southpaw boxers vs caoperia. Iv'e seen it all and been in the middle of a large quantity.I have seen marines get knocked out by dads that started cross fit for only six months.boxers biggest flaw in a street fight seem to be if they counter they seem to anticipate and get off that hook, right straight, or overhand bomb.In fighting brawlers always get caught .Ive seen a guy take a punch to get inside and throw a guillotine, forward darce, whatever he wants basically.A fight that stood out to me was at an Italian bar with a dance floor.There was an older guy with his wife who had a pretty high skirt.Some younger guys from a urban boxing gym and some college baketball ball players were making comments to the fellas wife.He didn't take it too kindly and they began taunting him and threatening him.we walked the couple to the car thinking it had ended but the guys wen't out to parking lot to jump this guy.Let me tell you , we had to cal two ambulances for these guys.this 50 year old guy was ome ex olympic wrestler and literally just started grabbing these guys by the arms and legs and started breaking things at will.Don't get me wrong they dropped him more then a couple times tried to boot stomp him everything.This guy wouldn't quit.He wouldn't even be defined as an mma fighter but , it's not even science if you can get to a wrist and snap it. dislocate an elbow, crank a knee bar, stop out a knee-cap, clamp on a wizzer on a pugilist..theyre lost..unless your battling there own kind..then it always seems equal and balanced.otherwise..Ive seen it a score of times a guy is getting his snotbox pushed in and just closes in for a basic rear naked choke..sleeps the striker/boxer and caves in his unconscious face..

Okay...

Using logic, I doubt a MMA fighter would apply an arm bar to someone in a street fight with multiple opponents. And a boxer is unlikely apply boxing rules in a street fight. And any trained professional fighter for the most part should be able to beat up a petty thug.

A boxer will rely on his fists in a street fight though,because that is what is natural. An mma fighter will likely rely on kickboxing and grappling in that situation. It just won't be technical

as a bouncer for years I have been watching fights.Military trained guys vs douchie gym bums,boxers vs n.a.g.a guys, other martial art disciplines vs kickboxing ,krav maga ,judo ect.. bikers vs fireman,cops vs army,southpaw boxers vs caoperia. Iv'e seen it all and been in the middle of a large quantity.I have seen marines get knocked out by dads that started cross fit for only six months.boxers biggest flaw in a street fight seem to be if they counter they seem to anticipate and get off that hook, right straight, or overhand bomb.In fighting brawlers always get caught .Ive seen a guy take a punch to get inside and throw a guillotine, forward darce, whatever he wants basically.A fight that stood out to me was at an Italian bar with a dance floor.There was an older guy with his wife who had a pretty high skirt.Some younger guys from a urban boxing gym and some college baketball ball players were making comments to the fellas wife.He didn't take it too kindly and they began taunting him and threatening him.we walked the couple to the car thinking it had ended but the guys wen't out to parking lot to jump this guy.Let me tell you , we had to cal two ambulances for these guys.this 50 year old guy was ome ex olympic wrestler and literally just started grabbing these guys by the arms and legs and started breaking things at will.Don't get me wrong they dropped him more then a couple times tried to boot stomp him everything.This guy wouldn't quit.He wouldn't even be defined as an mma fighter but , it's not even science if you can get to a wrist and snap it. dislocate an elbow, crank a knee bar, stop out a knee-cap, clamp on a wizzer on a pugilist..theyre lost..unless your battling there own kind..then it always seems equal and balanced.otherwise..Ive seen it a score of times a guy is getting his snotbox pushed in and just closes in for a basic rear naked choke..sleeps the striker/boxer and caves in his unconscious face..
giphy.gif

This thread is older than @Seano

Always intangibles in real life situations. Guys with no training can beat both boxers and MMA guys.

Of the few examples we have MMA guys haven't beat all boxers under MMA rules.

Back