Boxing vs Kickboxing for MMA

Everyone's so locked and ready in here. They get to say stuff like shin this shin that and they get their legs broken in the end.
tenor.gif

Boxers just don't want to get a shin bone to their orbital bone my friend.
That's why they stay their ass in a ring where you can only strike with your fists.

Oh...…
Thanks for your revelation.
It all makes sense now.
lol I appreciate the conversation, and I respect your stance.

I would only take seriously the opinion of people who have done both. Scratch that-- the people who have done WELL (technically/effectively) in both. Their opinions trend towards a consensus on this topic. The opinion is different than it was 20+ years ago, when there was less data and almost nobody crosstrained or sparred with other styles.

Theorizing from a hole in the sand can be fun for some people because it reaffirms their belief that sand is best, anything else threatens them and makes them feel less secure in their decision to live in a sand hole, that's why they have to argue as obnoxiously as they can-- something fragile is at stake for them.

Last edited:
I would say everyone needs to train boxing with a good coach. The instructions and the base for stand up fighting you will learn mainly in boxing. There is a lot of attention to detail in the sport.

Then everyone should train kick boxing too. It opens up awareness that you have other weapons too and teaches you to fight from a different distance. It is possible to pressure and box only in a kick boxing fight but you feel handicapped without utilizing all your tools.

Both sports are useful and good. It is just thst boxing when tought properly gives you the most solid foundation for stand up.

What I notice in MMA is half the people get knocked out cold because they lack the fundamentals for positioning and footwork. They will be cought cold blood with their bodies and chins wide open in front of their feet in a bad balance. That is almost every knock out in MMA. And the feel is like ... man that was lame.

While in pro boxing these are the rare cases. Often people are so well developed that they need something extra ordinary to happen to get dropped or the difference in skill and weight to be significant.

Ideally both, but if you could only do one then probably kickboxing. You have to at least learn how to deal with your opponent’s kicks

Depends on the trainer. Good boxing trainer > bad kickboxing trainer and vice versa. If both trainers have theoretically the same knowledge about the sport I would say kickboxing since it teaches you the fundamentals in incorporating kicks and knees while punching. Which is something boxers miss heavily.

Also, Boxing stance is more bladed. Someone here mentions its easier to change levels and go for leg tackles in boxing stance. How so? Wrestlers have more square hips as do KB, especially MT. It is hard to defend leg kicks from blind side of bladed boxing stance, so KBers are more square.

I guess boxing stance being more bladed guards against the double and you can probably counter with a tai otoshi as you are already half way there. But square stance can sprawl. Now KBers will be upright but they fight at longer range. If distance closes, KBer can just get a little lower, or blade their stance a bit more, and just start brawling with their hands which is what they do anyways in the KB match.

Also, Boxing stance is more bladed. Someone here mentions its easier to change levels and go for leg tackles in boxing stance. How so? Wrestlers have more square hips as do KB, especially MT. It is hard to defend leg kicks from blind side of bladed boxing stance, so KBers are more square.

I guess boxing stance being more bladed guards against the double and you can probably counter with a tai otoshi as you are already half way there. But square stance can sprawl. Now KBers will be upright but they fight at longer range. If distance closes, KBer can just get a little lower, or blade their stance a bit more, and just start brawling with their hands which is what they do anyways in the KB match.

Boxing isn't always more bladed. The mexican style is often very square like a wrestler because it's geared towards getting in close for body shots and inside work

Back