Boxing training with weightlifting

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by person31, Mar 10, 2017.

1. person31 White Belt

person31
    Hi, I want to start boxing training in a few months after I finish college. I also want to put on a bit of muscle as well as I am pretty scrawny for my age. My question is how would I be able to do both at the same time? For now before starting actual boxing, I'm thinking of alternating boxing, cardio and weightlifting on days in the week. For cardio I can use an exercise bike or I could just do more rounds on the bag.
    For example:
    Monday - Boxing
    Tuesday - Weights
    Wednesday - Cardio
    Thursday - Boxing
    Friday - Weights
    Saturday - Cardio
    Sunday - Rest

I'm not exactly sure of a schedule, but that's something I'm thinking of. I don't want so much muscle that it'll slow my hand speed down (not that it'll happen) but I just want to be a little heavier with slightly less fat. I know this is probably a really bad routine, but I'm interested in the best way to do it. Thanks for reading.

2. 001renoom Banned

001renoom
    Doing anything is #1. Come back here after you've done something consistently for 6 months.

Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Phlog and 4daLuLZ like this.
  3. person31 White Belt

person31
    Thanks for the reply. Ill try just weights and boxing for a few months and I'll see where it takes me then.

4. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    I'd say if you're only just getting into things, there's nothing wrong with your schedule OP. If you want to actively compete as a boxer I'd see about boxing more than twice a week though- you could try moving some cardio or weight training to early in the morning. You could even look at doing this in a few weeks after you've built up some amount of work capacity for training.

5. Noodles03 Orange Belt

Noodles03
    Person31, another option that you can do is spend 20-30 minutes of weight training before your boxing secession. Just make sure you don't go all out with leg training before your sparring secession. Far as cardio, you can focus on doing an active recovery by doing light skill work or touch sparring and have 1 or 2 days of doing high intensity interval training.

6. TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

TheeFaulted
    There's no point in boxing before you get to a proper gym. You'll just develop bad habits. For now start a beginner strength program like Starting Strength, and do some LSD runs 3 time a week.

7. Genghiz Blue Belt

Genghiz
    You're on the right track, pick a good two day strength program with some form of progression. Focus on the basic compound lifts and minimize accessory work. Depending on how You prioritize you should be spending more of your time on boxing rather than lifting.

I'd recommend either 531 or Tactical Barbell's Fighter template. Both fit the bill and will leave you with plenty of gas in the tank for boxing and extra cardio.

For your cardio, do some long steady state roadwork. Have a look at this article by Joel Jamieson for some basic info:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2012/02/23/roadwork-2-0-the-comeback/

8. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    I missed this part. No throwing punches until you get taught how to punch. Get along to a boxing gym and learn before you start doing anything else boxing-related. Until you do, just jam out some basic S&C as TheeFaulted mentioned.

9. person31 White Belt

person31
    Thanks for the replies. I understand what you mean when you mention getting into bad habits when boxing on my own. So when I'm not doing any weights or cardio, should I do things like speed bag and skipping to prepare? I have an old speed bag and a jump rope spare so I could assemble it just to gradually progress until I go to a boxing gym.
    I've just had a look at the Tactical Barbell template and it looks decent. As for someone with fairly bad fitness levels, I think I may try to increase my stamina a bit before starting it. I will definitely be trying it later though.

10. UL NOW IS WAR

UL
    Join a boxing gym
    A proper gym
    And report back a few weeks later

You'll be shocked at how many things you're doing wrong
    Your fitness
    Your mistakes

11. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    Join a proper boxing gym and dibwhat they say.

Don't do any punching etc until your being schooled, it's just not worth it. A month of bad training can take 3 months to set right.

It is absolutely imperative if you ever want to punch with good form that you do so only under respectable tutelage.

Lifting is easier to self teach via online but similarly you will have blind spots and some decent coaching early on can make your time better spent.