Boxing sparring, Perhaps a mild concussion.

Popsaregood230

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Was doing some harder than normal sparring, and got caught with a few punches in a row. Walked out of the gym with a bloody nose and a black eye lol. But those are minor compared to a potential concussion. I went to bed that night thinking nothing of it. When I woke up the next morning I felt a bit nauseous and had a headache.

Went to work and felt like I spent the whole day in a fog. It wasn't too serious, as in I wasn't fucking up menial tasks. But I did have to plan things out more slowly to ensure I wasn't fucking up.

Today is one day later, and the headaches and nausea are gone, still feeling a little foggy though.

Strange thing is I've been hit harder and more frequent in the past, but never experienced these symptoms.

Just sharing this, looking for advice or if other people who want to share similar stories.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I plan on taking time off until my head is no longer sore and I feel 100%.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. I plan on taking time off until my head is no longer sore and I feel 100%.
Didn't you make a thread last month about partners going too hard? Might be time to find a new place

Concussions don't always happen with the more forceful feeling hits. It's about the brain getting spun just right against the skull, not the feeling of pressure/impact of the glove against your skin/skull.

If you think it's a concussion, you're likely right, and it should be treated as one. Fish oil is supposed to help the brain heal more completely and faster according to a study that's been posted here like 7 years ago. Can't hurt.

Take it easy TS. Don't go back to sparring untill the symptoms have cleared. It all depends on the severity.

If your headache and nausea are already gone after one day, it's likely a good sign. No need to rush it though, follow a protocol. No exercise for some days, or untill all symptoms have are gone. Then, start up slowly and gradually increase the intensity of your training, while monitoring your symptoms. If there's no trace, then you can think about sparring. Don't rush these things.

Here's the return to play proctol from the NFL which is a pretty good template: https://www.playsmartplaysafe.com/f...players/nfl-return-to-participation-protocol/

If it gets worse or wont go away, see the doc.

Didn't you make a thread last month about partners going too hard? Might be time to find a new place
It's a good gym, my partner and I just felt like going harder. He got me really good and bloodied my nose last month so I wanted to get even. He told me after the spar on Tuesday that I got a good shot on him and made his ear ring like 'eeeeeee'. I apologized and next time I am going to suggest we go lighter as I feel like we're even.

I am going to wait until my head doesn't feel sore to the touch and I will spar again. It's only one part of my head and only if I touch it. Otherwise, I feel fine.

I do want to hard spar with the instructor again because he gave me the hardest hits of anyone so I have a score to settle there.

That first night I sparred last month I got really baked before class and I think it slowed down my reaction time. My new year resolution was to stop smoking and I already feel so much better in training. I'm more alert and all around more motivated.

I'm confident that once I recover (I don't have any nausea or fogginess like TS; I would be very concerned about that) that I will be able to repay the coach with a proper beating and then we can have the 'we're friends, let's not kill each other' talk.

It's a good gym, my partner and I just felt like going harder. He got me really good and bloodied my nose last month so I wanted to get even. He told me after the spar on Tuesday that I got a good shot on him and made his ear ring like 'eeeeeee'. I apologized and next time I am going to suggest we go lighter as I feel like we're even.

I am going to wait until my head doesn't feel sore to the touch and I will spar again. It's only one part of my head and only if I touch it. Otherwise, I feel fine.

I do want to hard spar with the instructor again because he gave me the hardest hits of anyone so I have a score to settle there.

That first night I sparred last month I got really baked before class and I think it slowed down my reaction time. My new year resolution was to stop smoking and I already feel so much better in training. I'm more alert and all around more motivated.

I'm confident that once I recover (I don't have any nausea or fogginess like TS; I would be very concerned about that) that I will be able to repay the coach with a proper beating and then we can have the 'we're friends, let's not kill each other' talk.
lol

Do you compete

Do you compete
No, I think I'm too old and probably not good enough but part of my new year resolution is too train more so maybe I can get better to do that. I don't see the point though because I can just try to be competitive in the sparring and bjj classes. In bjj especially there are guys that can put me in bad positions like taking my back so I would like to train more so they don't do that.

One guy even arm barred me a couple months ago even though he's smaller and a white belt so I'm not good enough to compete but I would like to stop that from happening again so there's enough competition just at the gym.

FWIW, there's no such thing as a "mild concussion"...brain trauma is brain trauma and it's never good. Rest and decent nutrition can help recover more quickly. Concussions are way more common than people think (which is why fighters in rough fights shouldn't really be interviewed immediately after and then criticized for saying anything silly), but they're often overlooked or downplayed.

No, I think I'm too old and probably not good enough but part of my new year resolution is too train more so maybe I can get better to do that. I don't see the point though because I can just try to be competitive in the sparring and bjj classes. In bjj especially there are guys that can put me in bad positions like taking my back so I would like to train more so they don't do that.

One guy even arm barred me a couple months ago even though he's smaller and a white belt so I'm not good enough to compete but I would like to stop that from happening again so there's enough competition just at the gym.

If it's just recreational you should focus more on longevity instead of gym brawls.

There's no point of wondering few years down the line thinking shit, I can't go to the gym anymore because of concussion and I didn't even compete to leave a record.

Thanks for the replies. I've been taking it easy. Haven't been to the gym since sparring on monday. I'm going to go tomorrow and get a good workout in but with no contact. I'm going to take sparring a bit more seriously from now on... especially since I'm 28 years old and won't be going pro. I'd like to have some longevity in this as a hobby and not have to quit because of rough sparring sessions leading to unacceptable brain damage.

Back