Boxing smaller Weight Classes

Combat Sports Fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I like the idea of more champs, but some of these weight classes gotta be kidding me. How in the world is a 3 pound difference from 115 ( Super Flyweight ) to 118 ( BW ) a whole different division? Same as 122- 126. 3-4 pounds shouldn’t be a whole division. IDK but I believe all these weight classes should be 6-8 pounds apart

The weight classes are about maximizing profit. If they ever change it will be to add even smaller weight classes even less weight apart.

Light minimumweight - 103 lbs
dustweight - 101 lbs
light dustweight - 99 lbs
airweight - 98 lbs
light airweight - 97 lbs
etc.

I like the idea of more champs, but some of these weight classes gotta be kidding me. How in the world is a 3 pound difference from 115 ( Super Flyweight ) to 118 ( BW ) a whole different division? Same as 122- 126. 3-4 pounds shouldn’t be a whole division. IDK but I believe all these weight classes should be 6-8 pounds apart

I thought 112lbs to 115lb was a little ridiculous but seeing the difficulty Roman Gonzalez had in that jump up made me rethink it.
Though that could be a stylistic problem with Cuadras and sor rungvisai or he was just battle worn he did seem much smaller than both guys as well.

If you're small enough to weigh 112 pounds the 3 pounds can make a pretty notable difference. There are a lot of weight classes in boxing but massive size mismatches are also less common than something like MMA where the classes are far apart.

Back