Boxing - simple tactic that works against SP by Andre Ward

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Found out this video not long ago and tested it few times in s spar against a SP that is way better than me. Really recommended.

As most of you know there is a major problem when using the jab against SP to a degree where it may be pointless. I like to jab a lot, but I always had problems against a SP friend of mine with whom we spar often.

So I d again start jabbing, but as soon as he starts timing my jab I would just extend the left hand to play with his right and use that extension to deliver cross to the body.

Why it works? The body cross is a damn long punch. The initiation punch or counter punch from the SP will be very often his right jab or right hook. So even if they time your movement you are mostly going under their punch and the distance you throw the body cross is way longer than the distance of a hook.

Lastly comming up with a left hook after the right cross. It is a level change and it is damn sneaky punch. I would advice it for when your right cross gets a bit predictable. So you can usually move forward with the left hook to add power.

I'm also sure that this is probably applicable if you're a southpaw against an orthodox opponent. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen Rigo do this shit.

I'm also sure that this is probably applicable if you're a southpaw against an orthodox opponent. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen Rigo do this shit.
Whatever a SP can do to an Ortho fighter an Ortho fighter can do to a SP fighter. just takes practice. i switch stances quite a bit so i usually just think in terms of "open" or "closed" because whether im in SP and my opponent is in Ortho or im in Ortho and my opponent is in SP its still open. here is an example of "closed" (ortho vs ortho or sp vs sp)
neutral.jpg

Is it only me that whenever I spar with a SP, i just realize which hand is in front and which hand is in the rear and just go with the flow?

Whatever a SP can do to an Ortho fighter an Ortho fighter can do to a SP fighter. just takes practice. i switch stances quite a bit so i usually just think in terms of "open" or "closed" because whether im in SP and my opponent is in Ortho or im in Ortho and my opponent is in SP its still open. here is an example of "closed" (ortho vs ortho or sp vs sp)
View attachment 458617

What does "open" or "closed" mean?

View attachment 458617

exaclty right, the only southpaw is advantage is that generally speaking the southpaw is used to going against a orthodox 9-10 times, and the orthodox is used to going against a southpaw 1-10 times.

What does "open" or "closed" mean?

Open is like looking in a mirror, your left is his right. And there's a huge gap in space to your right/his left. This is what happens when a southpaw fights an orthodox

Closed is "matched" and the space between you is parallel (rather than wide open on one side and really close on the other). This is when 2 orthodoxes or 2 southpaws fight. The most common for fights because both combatants are usually right handed.

exaclty right, the only southpaw is advantage is that generally speaking the southpaw is used to going against a orthodox 9-10 times, and the orthodox is used to going against a southpaw 1-10 times.

And that is a huge advantage for people who are not professionals. Usually SPs fight orthodox fighter and they are in the game and know what the hell they are doing and have their habits developed to fight orthodox fighters. While the orthodox does not really.

Open is like looking in a mirror, your left is his right. And there's a huge gap in space to your right/his left. This is what happens when a southpaw fights an orthodox

Closed is "matched" and the space between you is parallel (rather than wide open on one side and really close on the other). This is when 2 orthodoxes or 2 southpaws fight. The most common for fights because both combatants are usually right handed.

Is there any advantage knowing this? Is it possible to intentionally pick/switch between "open" and "close", and for what purpose?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot...

I'm trying to study boxers that can switch between SP & Ortho on the fly (Mike Tyson, Manny Pacquiao)

Is there any advantage knowing this? Is it possible to intentionally pick/switch between "open" and "close", and for what purpose?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot...

I'm trying to study boxers that can switch between SP & Ortho on the fly (Mike Tyson, Manny Pacquiao)

It's just a term used to clarify if a southpaw is facing an orthodox, mostly. The actual formation changes so it requires appropriate changes in the available/usual tactics, timing and movement (to the usual closed formation), that's all.

Open is definitely more awkward for boxers in general because your lead hands clash and feet step on each other a lot. For kickboxers it can open up some nice kicks to the ribs

As a southpaw my jab is my main weapon against everyone. The jab is super effective against me from either stance. The number one mistake people make against southpaws is abandoning their jab

As a southpaw my jab is my main weapon against everyone. The jab is super effective against me from either stance. The number one mistake people make against southpaws is abandoning their jab

I used to be in that mentality of the jab is useless vs southpaws. Now I use my lead hand to mess around the SP's lead hand. I can push, pull, swat it away etc. I especially like techniques that Lomachenko use with his active right hand.

I always add a headshot to any body shot I throw. It makes people more tentative to counter you when they know you like going to the body. Usually I ''close the door'' by throwing a left hook after a kick or a right straight. I'll add a right straight after a left body shovel hook.

I used to be in that mentality of the jab is useless vs southpaws. Now I use my lead hand to mess around the SP's lead hand. I can push, pull, swat it away etc. I especially like techniques that Lomachenko use with his active right hand.

I always add a headshot to any body shot I throw. It makes people more tentative to counter you when they know you like going to the body. Usually I ''close the door'' by throwing a left hook after a kick or a right straight. I'll add a right straight after a left body shovel hook.
this man gets it

Back