[BOXING] Shadowboxing with both foo foo dumbbells and leg weights?

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
I've tried shadowboxing with light dumbbells in each hand (5 pounds max) but I've been thinking of adding leg weights to improve foot speed. Has anybody tried this? Is it a good idea? I wanna know before I go investing in some leg weights.

I prefer using the weighted vest rather than ankle weights. It distributes the weight much better across my whole body and doesn't put stress on my knees.

Training with weights just leads to injuries.

You might as well put a turtle shell on your back

oh my jeebus. You even posted in that thread.

Regarding some of the common thoughts about punching/kicking with weights (besides imo being an invitation for connective tissue damage), the one article notes the following:

Quote:
investigations into the effects of using weighted shoes and ankle weights found that the groups who practiced without the weighted devices actually improved their speed more than the experimental groups who practiced with the weighted devices.
The reason:
Quote:
If a skill is to be performed at a given speed, it should be practiced at that speed in order to facilitate the learning of the skill. By practicing a skill at a slower speed than would normally be used in the performance of the skill, you’re training your neuromuscular system to perform at a slower speed...
Consider fighters who throw punches while holding onto dumbbells. Will their punches with the dumbbells be faster, slower or the same as their punches without the dumbbells? Obviously, their punches are slower. Therefore, it follows that the use of weighted implements actually impairs the learning of sports skills.
Not to mention the risk of damaging your joints. Anyway, hopefully this will put that recurring question to rest. More details in the first article linked below which discusses how punching with weights create an illusion of improved speed....

What about plyometrics? The easy answer is that there has been no credible research that shows plyometrics to improve speed better than standard strength-training, and that plyometrics carry an extremely high risk of injury potential.

You wrote: "you should be a mod or something. "

I have this philosophy, I do not do any workout unless

1- it has proven academically that it will improve individual fighting

2- it is common practice and many coached advocate it

By the I have never heard any coach to do shadowboxing with dumbbells, so my advice is proceed with old workout and keep up with old school!

I've been thinking about running agility-ladder drills for foot-speed. Might be worth trying.

For a second there, I thought you were trying to be funny and recommend sprinting up ladders. LOL

I shadow with a weights vest and soemtimes light dumbells. I think it is awesome. The thing is to go heavy enough so you can totally focus on speed without sacrificing technique. The extra weight already builds your stregnth so you only need to focus on speed.

As for injury, as long as you are not over extending and not actually hitting anything then it won't lead to injury. Just like Plyometics, if you do the activities correctly then you should be right.

I know this is anecdotal evidence, but they used weights while training in Dragon Ball Z and they can blow up planets.

Read the stickies/archives.

Weighted vest is the way to go. Weights on your extremities adds results in unnecessary damage to your hinge joints over time.

I shadow with a weights vest and soemtimes light dumbells. I think it is awesome. The thing is to go heavy enough so you can totally focus on speed without sacrificing technique. The extra weight already builds your strength so you only need to focus on speed.

As for injury, as long as you are not over extending and not actually hitting anything then it won't lead to injury. Just like Plyometics, if you do the activities correctly then you should be right.

OP ignore the light dumbbells part and read sticky.

C'mon Marvin you got a boxing coach whose advice is worth way more than the advice any of us on here can give you.

People everywhere look down on weights for your feet. Five pound dumbbells also sounds a bit much for shadowboxing. These are just my opinions.

oh my jeebus. You even posted in that thread.

You wrote: "you should be a mod or something. "

Unlike you, I don't keep track of posts I wrote five years ago. Sorry to disappoint you, tough guy. I just thought it would be cool to share something new besides "technique and strength training" which seems to be the staple around here. Oh, and shut the fuck up, WHITE BELT.

People everywhere look down on weights for your feet. Five pound dumbbells also sounds a bit much for shadowboxing. These are just my opinions.

five pounds MAX. Maybe around two pounds for good measure.

C'mon Marvin you got a boxing coach whose advice is worth way more than the advice any of us on here can give you.

I do. He was the one who suggested I shadowbox with light weights. He's pretty old school.

My instructor, also pretty old school has got me doing mitt work with 3kg DBs and a resistance band wrapped round the handles.

Already I can feel and see the difference in punch speed. If you do it right there shouldn't be too great a risk of injury.

I mean you can tear a muscle getting out of a chair too quickly FFS :D

For a second there, I thought you were trying to be funny and recommend sprinting up ladders. LOL

Sounds like something you'd haze a new guy with.

"C'mon, don't be a pussy. Fedor does it with a dizzy bat."

Unlike you, I don't keep track of posts I wrote five years ago. Sorry to disappoint you, tough guy. I just thought it would be cool to share something new besides "technique and strength training" which seems to be the staple around here. Oh, and shut the fuck up, WHITE BELT.

five pounds MAX. Maybe around two pounds for good measure.

I do. He was the one who suggested I shadowbox with light weights. He's pretty old school.

My whitebeltness, you know, taught me to read stickies. Also, it isn't something new, people have been talking about weighted training for decades. Seeing how, that's incredibly important in boxing, it would make sense that it is the staple around here. Judging me based on my internet forum white belt because I recently joined Sherdog doesn't mean I am any less knowledgeable than you. So stop picking at straws because you obviously read that thread then forgot about it. Take a chill pill, this is the intarwebz.

Back