Boxing rounds vs MMA rounds

Conors entire MMA career is a little over 3 full boxing matches.
That's it.
If you took Mayweathers last four fights, that's more time Mayweathers spent in a boxing ring than McGregors spent in a cage.
Think about that.
That's 4 out of 49 fights.

Let's not talk cardio.
Damn, so I guess actually finishing fights is a knock on guys careers now. I guess that's why you are up Floyds ass. Cause he hasn't finished anyone in years

Damn, so I guess actually finishing fights is a knock on guys careers now. I guess that's why you are up Floyds ass. Cause he hasn't finished anyone in years

He was talking about CARDIO

He's not going to appreciably improve his cardio at his age. Do you think that Conor, a professional fighter now for about a decade, hasn't been doing intense cardio training for a long time? It can get better, sure, but if it's not good now, it would be foolish to expect it to ever be particularly good, yet alone nearly good enough to keep the kind of workrate that would give him any kind of chance to have any meaningful success in a 12 round fight against Floyd Mayweather.

I'm not saying he's starting from square one, but he might as well be here. He's not facing some club fighter (and there are club fighters who would have very good chances of beating him in boxing) or even a journeyman (many journeymen would have very good chances of beating McGregor in boxing), he's facing Floyd Mayweather. Clinch fighting in MMA (or wrestling, muay Thai or any other number of disciplines) isn't infighting in boxing. There were people who talked about Chris Algieri, with his wrestling background, being able to nullify Errol Spence Jr. on the inside. Instead, he got completely bludgeoned there because Spence Jr. actually knew how to infight and Algieri didn't. Same goes for Kovalev against Ward (Kovalev with wrestling experience and training and a strength advantage still got outclassed on the inside against a guy who actually knew what he was doing there).

Floyd will smother and tie up his opponents sometimes to slow down the pace of fights and take away his opponent's initiative (the last two times we saw genuine infighting in any amount from Mayweather was against Maidana the first time out and against Cotto; since then he's not really bothered and instead has mostly held clinches on the inside as much as the ref will allow him to). What is McGregor going to do to prevent that (if it was particularly relevant to begin with, which it isn't)? Work to get his hands free and start working on the inside (aka learn how to infight)? McGregor is going to learn high level infighting in a few months (again, a skill that most elite boxers these days don't have)? Alright, man. If Mayweather were fighting an actually dangerous southpaw with strength and size advantages and infighting ability (like Errol Spence Jr.), he'd be in for real trouble, but he's not. He's facing a guy with no relevant boxing experience.
You are 2 for 2 on shit posts so I'll give you that.

Conor has admitted he didn't work on his cardio much or appreciate the aspect of his game until he lost to Diaz. So to that point, No he hasn't been doing enough cardio training up until march of 2016 when it cost him his first fight in the UFC.

To your second ridiculous point, Conor, age 28 is in the prime of his career physically. I believe you have Conor and Floyd switched for some reason as Conor can definitely physically improve his cardio, strength, etc. he isn't over the hill.

To the third point you keep assuming is true that Conor needs and insane workrate to beat Floyd is just speculation. Until the fight happens there is literally no telling what type of work rate Conor needs to beat Floyd. We don't know if Conor will be able to land on floyd, we don't know how well Floyd will be able to take conors shots if he is able to, we don't know anything pretty much. We know how Floyd has beaten other boxers but he's literally never faced a fighter like Conor.

And to your last and probably most idiotic point about infighting, which you are seeming to make a straw man argument for yourself. I never suggested Conor stay on the inside of Floyd and in fight. The point I made is that when Floyd tries to use the clinch to slow his opponents down which he always does, Conor will be able to break and press forward more than anyone Floyd has faced because of conors technique and strength advantage over Floyd.

Conor isn't coming at this like a traditional boxer. No traditional, conventional boxer has been able to beat Floyd. Something outside the box possibly can. And Conor will have the cardio to go a full 12.

Please no more insanely retarded posts please

He was talking about CARDIO
His argument is that floyds last four fights are more time than all of conors career in the cage and he's using that as a knock on his cardio.

Do you know why Conor has spent such little time inside the cage over his 23 fight career?! Cause he finishes fights you fucking retard.

How is he "just like the guys Floyd hasn't ko'd in years"?

Are you saying his level of boxing is even near of Berto, Pacquiao, Maidana, Canelo, Guerrero and Cotto's?

<36>
No I'm saying a 40 year old, fresh out of retirement, notorious point fighter with brittle hands and no power isn't going to suddenly starting knocking people out again.

His argument is that floyds last four fights are more time than all of conors career in the cage and he's using that as a knock on his cardio.

Do you know why Conor has spent such little time inside the cage over his 23 fight career?! Cause he finishes fights you fucking retard.

So? He was using it to show Floyd has cardio and Conor doesn't. He wasn't knocking Conor for finishing MMA fights. Conor is a finisher (which is great) that still looks gassed to often. Floyd goes 12 rounds all the time without gassing, and it shows he has amazing CARDIO. The whole point was that Conor doesn't have the cardio to go 12 and Floyd does

No I'm saying a 40 year old, fresh out of retirement, notorious point fighter with brittle hands and no power isn't going to suddenly starting knocking people out again.

When those people are low level Boxers like Conor who will give him counter opportunities and openings REAL skilled Boxers haven't given him in years, a knockout wouldn't be shocking from Floyd.

You can't compare Floyds inability to KO top level Boxers to KOing a low level Boxer like Conor

Last edited:
You are 2 for 2 on shit posts so I'll give you that.

Conor has admitted he didn't work on his cardio much or appreciate the aspect of his game until he lost to Diaz. So to that point, No he hasn't been doing enough cardio training up until march of 2016 when it cost him his first fight in the UFC.

lol, a professional fighter who didn't appreciate cardio. I guess he'll be Paul Williams incarnate now that he set his mind to it (that's all it takes for McGregor, after all, everything is possible when he sets his mind to it.

To your second ridiculous point, Conor, age 28 is in the prime of his career physically. I believe you have Conor and Floyd switched for some reason as Conor can definitely physically improve his cardio, strength, etc. he isn't over the hill.

He was at his athletic peak when he gassed twice with a relatively low workrate very early in fights against a guy who he couldn't miss against. We're not talking about a guy who went balls to the wall for half the fight and then punched himself out in the late rounds in boxing. We're talking about a guy who couldn't maintain a low workrate against a guy who didn't make him miss for less than 10 minutes.

To the third point you keep assuming is true that Conor needs and insane workrate to beat Floyd is just speculation. Until the fight happens there is literally no telling what type of work rate Conor needs to beat Floyd. We don't know if Conor will be able to land on floyd, we don't know how well Floyd will be able to take conors shots if he is able to, we don't know anything pretty much.

lol, by this logic we can't predict anything about the future based on what we've seen in the past. It's like talking to a retarded David Hume.

And to your last and probably most idiotic point about infighting, which you are seeming to make a straw man argument for yourself. I never suggested Conor stay on the inside of Floyd and in fight. The point I made is that when Floyd tries to use the clinch to slow his opponents down which he always does, Conor will be able to break and press forward more than anyone Floyd has faced because of conors technique and strength advantage over Floyd.

Aside from the point about why Floyd smothers and clinches (and why it really won't matter either way against Conor) and the nature of infighting in boxing, do you think Conor will press forward more than anyone Floyd has faced? So he's going to bring constant pressure and throw over 100 punches per round (as several of Floyd's past opponents have done)? He's going to constantly build his workrate round to round and constantly push forward and cutting the ring off while actually working on the inside? Again, this is how you beat Mayweather (unless you're a prime Hearns, Leonard, Robinson, Burley or maybe Gavilan, then you might have enough success boxing Mayweather from the outside).

Conor isn't coming at this like a traditional boxer. No traditional, conventional boxer has been able to beat Floyd. Something outside the box possibly can. And Conor will have the cardio to go a full 12.

I've heard this be repeated time and again and never stops being stupid. There is really nothing truly new under the sun in a sport as old as boxing. There are fighters who struggle with certain styles (some very good fighters have massive problems with certain styles in unexpected ways). The issue here is that Mayweather is as adaptable a fighter as there has been in boxing since at least Pernell Whitaker. He's fought several southpaws who bear rough stylistic similarities to Conor (it's just they had far more talent than Conor). Conor's actual boxing is fairly textbook for a tall and rangy southpaw who prefers to counter. He's lacking some major things that most genuinely good southpaws of a similar ilk have in the sense that he has no lead hand and poor footwork, but he's not doing anything really that we haven't seen in boxing. He's a lot like a poor man's Herol Graham (minus the lead hand, footwork, stamina, experience, and all around polish), actually.

Please no more insanely retarded posts please

I'm fairly confident that you don't really follow boxing, but after Conor loses, you should take some time and actually learn about the sport. I'd say come discuss things in the boxing forum, but you'd likely get intolerable after being told you don't know what you're talking about, so don't do that.

When "those people" are low level Boxers like Conor who will give him counter opportunities and openings REAL skilled Boxers haven't given him in years, a knockout wouldn't be shocking from Floyd.

You can't compare Floyds inability to KO top level Boxers to KOing a low level Boxer like Conor
Conor is still a high level fighter. And it's not like he's never trained boxing a day in his life. Floyd won't get the ko

So? He was using it to show Floyd has cardio and Conor doesn't. He wasn't knocking Conor for finishing MMA fights. Conor is a finisher (which is great) that still looks gassed to often. Floyd goes 12 rounds all the time without gassing, and it shows he has amazing CARDIO. The whole point was that Conor doesn't have the cardio to go 12 and Floyd does
So.. this thread has nothing to do with floyds cardio it's about conors you fucking tool and saying how short conors fights have been literally means nothing to where his cardio is at now. You are dense as fucking shit dude

Conor is still a high level fighter. And it's not like he's never trained boxing a day in his life. Floyd won't get the ko

They are boxing. When compared to the BOXERS Floyd didn't finish, Conor is low level. That is undeniable. Kinda like how Jones would be a low level wrestler in pure wrestling

So.. this thread has nothing to do with floyds cardio it's about conors you fucking tool and saying how short conors fights have been literally means nothing to where his cardio is at now. You are dense as fucking shit dude

And Conor gassing in shorter fights shows he has shit cardio to go 12 rounds. think you are trolling though lol

They are boxing. When compared to the BOXERS Floyd didn't finish, Conor is low level. That is undeniable. Kinda like how Jones would be a low level wrestler in pure wrestling
floyd hasn't finished fights in years. An old dog doesn't learn new tricks.

And Conor gassing in shorter fights shows he has shit cardio to go 12 rounds. think you are trolling though lol
Less time of rounds, more rest periods, improved cardio then the fights you are talking about that were literally over a year ago, and against a opponent who is fighting to win on points not the decision.

He will go 12 rounds if he doesn't finish Floyd before that.

floyd hasn't finished fights in years. An old dog doesn't learn new tricks.

So? Like i said, Floyd hasn't boxed anyone as bad as Conor in years either. Its like expecting GSP not to finish Andre Ward in an MMA match because he hasn't finished top MMA fighters in years

Conor is 100% stronger than Floyd, 100% bigger than Floyd and has 100% better technique than Floyd when it comes to clinching.

100% bigger than Floyd? When Floyd fights at super welterweight he usually weighs right around 152ish. Conor is coming in at over 300 pounds!?!? Holy shit! How did this fight get sanctioned?

has 100% better technique than Floyd when it comes to clinching. Conor trains this aspect of fighting every fight he has and has had to specifically drill for the clinch hard in his last two fights. He stonewalled a bigger Diaz and completely shut down eddies clinch. Something that Eddie is known for.

You do know that clinching in mma and infighting in boxing are quite different right?

While you bring up a good point, Conor's style is very energy intensive. The way he tenses up and throws, every time a fighter comes in to throw he tenses up and looks to counter he also doesn't have the instinct boxers develop over years to conserve and recover energy during a fight. Listen to boxers talk about Mayweather during their fights he's a true master at stamina expenditure and conservation especially recovery add the fact that he's never been gassed EVER during a fight and Conor's history of gassing I don't see Conor developing the instincts and stamina in one camp. Stamina doesn't develop over a couple of years it takes decades to get to the point of a pro boxer.

The video with Berto was an awesome analysis of how Mayweather fights and how brilliant he is at it.

1. Body shots
2. Body shots
3. Body shots
4. When you're exhausted as fuck, it doesn't matter how weak someone punches, if they decide to up the volume, you'll feel the impact of every punch and succumb.

None of the guys you listed have been clinch technique than an mma who trains it every fight and is actually one of the most underrated aspects of the sport. Conor will man handle him in the clinch and toss him around
No he won't. Not the same clinch

Back