Boxing or mma

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Wassup fighters, first post here but I'll just get to the point. Ok so I have a VERY strong interest in becoming a professional fighter of some sort but I just don't know what path I should go down. I love my boxing, been doing it for 2 years now and if I knew I could not fail I would pursue a pro boxing career. I still have not had my first fight yet I just do hard sparring 3 times a week. Now here's my dilemma. I don't wanna just compete and be a mediocre/average fighter. I wanna be at the top. But I just started boxing 2 years ago at 20 and am now 22. My question is do I have a better chance at making it to the top in boxing or mma. Btw I started bjj a few weeks ago ( been to 8 classes) and no offense to any jujitsu guys but I just don't find bjj very fun. I prefer to strike but in mma they say you need to love every aspect of it to succeed. Please give me some advice as I am very confused.

*Also money is a factor too , if I'm gonna be getting punched in the head I want to be paid well

Who's your coach? If you haven't got a wrestling/grappling background you'll find it tough. If you prefer boxing go for it, don't try and copy anyone's technique, make your own style and if it's successful run with it.

The talent pool is a lot deeper in boxing. There are literally hundreds of pro boxing matches every single day. MMA fighters fight on UFC cards with just a couple of pro fights sometimes. I'd say its easier to get to the elite level in MMA. Not saying its easier to stay there but easier to get there for sure.

If you don't like grappling then you probably shouldn't bother doing MMA. You'll get a better idea of your ceiling in boxing once you start competing and get 10+ bouts in.

Who's your coach? If you haven't got a wrestling/grappling background you'll find it tough. If you prefer boxing go for it, don't try and copy anyone's technique, make your own style and if it's successful run with it.

Funny thing is our head coach is a jujitsu fighter that learned from our secondary coach. Our secondary coach was a former world champion

If I were OP I would try mma.

Like the other guys said, boxing has a huge talent pool, and kids start younger and younger

Having said that, maybe you possess great talent and you could still get very far.

As mma is a younger, more allround sport with a smaller talent pool, I believe you would have a bigger chance there.

See if you can get some BJJ classes in and find out if you like it and have talent. Best of luck :)

One thing to consider is expense, I feel MMA is more expensive to practice than boxing, a good boxing gym should cost 50 dollars max plus whatever you pay a trainer, an MMA gym usually goes for more than that.

Boxing a la Wilder. MMA you will have little to no success as you will probably hit a bunch of former wrestlers in the ammys. If you had a legit hs wrestling background I would say mma

Boxing a la Wilder. MMA you will have little to no success as you will probably hit a bunch of former wrestlers in the ammys. If you had a legit hs wrestling background I would say mma
Well to be honest I did have a couple matches in college. I wrestled for a club at my school with no prior wrestling experience . Wasn't very good but I do know the basics.

My father boxed in the military system, he taught me and my brothers to box and we stayed with it until high school when I got into wrestling...I never even bothered with BJJ or Muay Thai.

I said all of that to say this...less to worry about in terms of adapting once you are a solid boxer all you have to worry about are other boxers. You don't need to be a jack of all trades as in MMA.

Id actually say go MMA, and focus on striking arts first and foremost. Learn an actual martial art, get good at it. Let it be the basis of your fighting. Too many guys now just jump into an MMA training program learning a random mix of punches and kicks and grappeling stuff. And becoming good is all a matter of being the better athlete. Then learn BJJ as an art as well so you know how to mesh them together in your own way. Believe it or not, the best strikers are still the dominant group of fighters today in MMA. I think its imperative to know how to strike well first.

Well to be honest I did have a couple matches in college. I wrestled for a club at my school with no prior wrestling experience . Wasn't very good but I do know the basics.
That's all u really need to be successful in MMA.
They've had baristas up there fighting main events. It doesn't require much.

You need some competitive fights before you can contemplate whether you want to be a professional fighter or not! Hard sparring is very different to someone trying to knock you out with smaller gloves on

Id actually say go MMA, and focus on striking arts first and foremost. Learn an actual martial art, get good at it. Let it be the basis of your fighting. Too many guys now just jump into an MMA training program learning a random mix of punches and kicks and grappeling stuff. And becoming good is all a matter of being the better athlete. Then learn BJJ as an art as well so you know how to mesh them together in your own way. Believe it or not, the best strikers are still the dominant group of fighters today in MMA. I think its imperative to know how to strike well first.

the best strikers are not the most dominant, the good strikers with significant wrestling background are, or at a minimum elite TDD (i.e. aldo, whittaker level tdd) Cody, Stipe, TJ, Jones, Mighty Mouse, Woodley, Cain, etc. are all good strikers who can dictate where the fight takes place. Conor is really the only anomaly at the moment, but even he has been shown training striking/wrestling almost exclusively with little bjj. BJJ all you really need to know is basic sub defense for arm bar, rnc, guillotine

Mma would be the better route if you live in the US.

Rebook money plus backroom bonus will help a lot with monetary needs .

You don't need a wrestling background that's just hogwash look at gsp, the Irish dude , Jose Aldo , pantera , the list goes on and on

Plus it's safer than boxing , boxing is very dangerous sport and they have a deeper talent pool

Mma would be the better route if you live in the US.

Rebook money plus backroom bonus will help a lot with monetary needs .

You don't need a wrestling background that's just hogwash look at gsp, the Irish dude , Jose Aldo , pantera , the list goes on and on

Plus it's safer than boxing , boxing is very dangerous sport and they have a deeper talent pool
Gsp can't wrestle? Keep telling yourself that.

Gsp can't wrestle? Keep telling yourself that.
He didn't have a wrestling background he learned later in life . Poorly written on my part

Back