Boxing Is Not Easier Than MMA (Luke Thomas point)

Boxing has a deeper talent pool, olympic sport, more tradition, more regulation, Ali Act etc. It is WAY harder to make it to Lomachenko status than someone like Tony Ferguson, who decided to get into MMA after a not so impressive wrestling career in college. There are levels
Only poor people in the ghetto or very specific areas in the world has a boxing culture.

In a large scale boxing has a very shallow talent pool. Most people in the world doesn't even have an option to join a boxing gym and pursue a professional career in their culture.

Just ask yourself, how many people in your life do you know that boxed let alone competed in a match? Versus people you know that wrestled in highschool or did martial arts.

Talent pool is far deeper in Martial Arts.

Neither one is harder than the other. Its the oppent that sets the difficulty. A bigger pool of people generally mean harder comp at the top. For now boxing probley has the bigger pool but its the gap is srinking

This is one mans opinion. A man whos never been in the octagon or squared circle....his opinion is just that.

The idea though, is that effectiveness doesn't correlate perfectly with difficulty in terms of mastering the material.

For example, it's much harder to master MMA or boxing than being decently proficient with a firearm, yet in a fair amount of situations, the guy with the gun is going to be more effective than the martial artist.
Goes to show how far boxing is from fighting.

boxing requires skills
mma doesn't
That's a little bit harsh.. I'd say with Boxing it's a more difficult to master since you have a limited set of abilities to utilized whereas with MMA it's the closets thing to an actual fight, so certain fighters might get away with laying and praying for example and win a fight, Now you can say that fighters in both sports shy away from engaging at times, but in Boxing again you are limited to what you can do, so you have to be extremely good at that ONE thing.

It's stupid to say BJJ, Wrestling or having elite striking doesn't require skill.

Edit: It terms of what which sport is more difficult to me its just subjective. I wouldn't say A is harder than B. There are a few things that factor in and also conflict each other.

Last edited:
Holly showed a boxer can come over and ko their biggest star.

Conor proved a mma fighter has to be carried and still gets finished by a 40 year old man who weighed 149 pounds and was 2 years into retirement.
Holy is the antithesis of cross over success. Her mma boxing is horrendous. Literally her only success is kicks.

I think mma is harder to be dominant in. In boxing guys that are 25-0 are a dime a dozen. In mma there is only khabib as far as I know. There are 8 points of contact as opposed to 2 in boxing plus the threat of takedowns, flying/standing subs, rolls etc. the more variables you introduce to a system the more chaotic it becomes.

Well it is certainly way easier to beat the shit out of a decent boxer than it is to beat a decent mma fighter.
You learn grappling or kickxboing (or both) to beat a boxer, you have much more to learn to beat a mma guy.

Fact

Boxing is a much older sport and a lot more study exists around it. This speaks more to developing styles and gameplans as opposed to singular techniques.

When MMA has been a consistent sport for as long as boxing has, it will be similar. It's pretty damn technical already for its brief, disjointed history.

The idea though, is that effectiveness doesn't correlate perfectly with difficulty in terms of mastering the material.

For example, it's much harder to master MMA or boxing than being decently proficient with a firearm, yet in a fair amount of situations, the guy with the gun is going to be more effective than the martial artist.

Some people might disagree

actor-steven-seagal-circa-1992-picture-id173396513

All of Floyd's excuses after an amateur made boxing look easy.

.Floyd is 40.
.Floyd didn't really train
.Floyd carried him
.Floyd bet on himself to win in the 10th round (No proof.)
Floyd gave Conor brain damage. Not true.

Klitscho "He produced beautiful boxing"

Sugar ray "He impressed me"

Harry Khan"10 out of 10 performance. He surprised me."

[
Errol Spencer"He did good, he can box again."

Sugar Ray"Very impressed."

Chris Van Heerden"I didn't expect him to do as good as he did. Well done brother."

Danny Garcia"I give him a B+. He did good."

[

Adrian Broner"He'd beat Victor Ortiz."

[

Mike Tyson"I give him an A."

"He did way better than everyone thought he would do. Floyd didn't carry him. If he could have knocked him out in the first round, he would have."

most actual boxing people Including myself gave him respect for his performance.

It's only bitter MMA fans who watched their first boxing match ever that are ruled by their confirmation biases and will only acknowledge what fuels their hate based narrative.

Boxing is easier to get good at, but very difficult to become a $$$ making fighter at the highest level because the pool of fighters is wide and deep. Boxing also concentrate on only 1 aspect of fighting with many rules, making it almost a finite art that can be readily mastered.

While MMA, there are still, way too many aspects of fighting to master at this stage. There are just way too many ways to TKO, KO or break joints; and win fights. And the tiny gloves are also a big deal. Then there are the rest of the striking limbs that aren't even padded like a pair of cushy 8-10oz Boxing gloves.

some dumbs here still are saying " but mma is more real, in the street fig... blah blah blah..." guys neither one is good or bad for street fight, stop with that non sense, is much harder to get the level of loma in boxing than conor in mma, that shit is obvious

How about in English next time?

A guy who never boxed in his life on a pro lever fought the best in the world, and took him 10 rounds, and won rounds. And stop with all the excuses. He's 40, retired, carried. Matt Serra Serra is 43, and hasn't fought in 7 years. Let's see Lomachanko come in and go 10 rounds and win 3 of them. He won't last a minute.

What happened when Michael Page , an MMA fighter decided to go to boxing.

And what happened when pro boxer, Heather Hardy, undefeated champion came to MMA?
giphy.gif

She lost her nose.

715x402_374247_20171021194822.jpg

DMoOU7QWAAE2jbX.jpg

Her opponent, a ta kwondo champion, never took her down once. She stood and banged. Kept her distance from the punches and just kicked the shit out of her. That's all you have to do to a pro boxer. They can't do shit without boxing rules against any martial artist, or wrestler.

And whoever tries to bring up Holly Holm she was a kickboxer before she was a boxer. 6 amateur fights, undefeated, and 3 pro fights, 2-1. And her trainer was the same guy, her whole career. An MMA guy, and pro kick boxer. Never a boxer.

What about what geriatric Mercer did to 32 yr old multiple time ufc champ Tim Sylvia?

I think boxing is probably harder to do well at a really high level because you're fighting someone who is also a master in what you do so the adjustments and the distance between fighters is much more subtle while in MMA a guy can just kind of get away with doing the same thing unless they come up against someone else who does it (wrestler vs. wrestler) so they never really have to strategize as much.

Yep. Deeper talent pool, and people overly lacking in any 1 area - skill, stamina, chin, or power being the most likely - they'll get weeded out long before they reach elite level.

It's why it's impossible to get people basically strolling into boxing and becoming hugely successful after just a couple of years, as is possible in MMA.

It's an old sport, and the level of craft and experience required to reach elite level is much, much higher than MMA.

Chess and golf have an even bigger talent pool than boxing.

Its very hard to become a Kasparov or a Tiger.

In some ways with the rules limiting the ways to strike and grapple, boxing is like chess and golf in that I can respect the skills involved but I would still rather watch mma.

Also mma is constantly evolving and its talent pool expanding.

Boxing talent pool is probably down from its heyday. Probably a lot of athletes would rather get that mlb, nfl or nba money.

Back