Boxing hall of fame ballot, which 3 get in?

I think he had a better resume than Hatton and Vitali. Long term champ. Wins over Mosley x2 and Tito. Draw with Taylor when he was lineal. The only convincing loss in his career before fighting Hopkins came when he was green against Vasquez (and Vasquez was pretty good in his own right).
Its hard to count the Tito win. Tito was pretty much done at that point.

Mosley 2x is good though and the draw with taylor I thought he edged...
But still a draw

Is Winky eligible? If he is, he's a no-brainer. As for Casa, I'd argue that his resume is probably greater than Hatton's (and probably better than Eubank's, as well).

yes he is. The image is cut off by sherdog, but if you click on the link, you'll see that Winky and Buddy McGirt are also options. Cepillo is an interesting case because he lost a lot of his big fights (Freitas, Coralles, Castillo, Marquez), but always by a controversial decision. He's definitely in the conversation, certainy more so than vinny freakin' paz.

There are tons of fighters, particulalry from Asia/Africa/Latin America (outside of PR and Mexico) that are more than worthy but arent even discussed. I could go on for days, but the fact that Nishioka, Veeraphol, Tokuyama, Quartey and Casamayor aren't even listed, but Maske and Lockridge are is absurd.

yes he is. The image is cut off by sherdog, but if you click on the link, you'll see that Winky and Buddy McGirt are also options. Cepillo is an interesting case because he lost a lot of his big fights (Freitas, Coralles, Castillo, Marquez), but always by a controversial decision. He's definitely in the conversation, certainy more so than vinny freakin' paz.

There are tons of fighters, particulalry from Asia/Africa/Latin America (outside of PR and Mexico) that are more than worthy but arent even discussed. I could go on for days, but the fact that Nishioka, Veeraphol, Tokuyama, Quartey and Casamayor aren't even listed, but Maske and Lockridge are is absurd.

I see that. Here we go.

i4jwur.jpg

Code:
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/i4jwur.jpg[/IMG]
@D 1 Wrestler replace your photo with this one in the OP or the one in my post below.

Last edited:
When I turn my ad blocker off I can see the full pic in the OP. That said, the problem with linking images is that if you need to enlarge them you'll have to visit the site they're hosted on. By not linking the image Sherdog's photo enlarger will work for those that need it. Here's the same picture of the ballot @ 75% of its normal size. It won't be cut off now regardless of the browser that you use or your settings.

358xbna.jpg

Code:
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/358xbna.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with Morales, Winky, and Vitali but ask me tomorrow I might keep changing my mind, probably. Morales is the easiest pick imo, though.

its kinda odd to me that Eubank may not be a 1st ballet hofmer...

1. Vitali Klitschko
2. Erik Morales
3. Eubank, maybe

Ottke, Maske, Morales. This isn't the North American Television Hall of Fame...all three of these guys put in an extraordinary amount of work in the ring and really didn't get any more bias decisions than some American fighters.

Hatton is the LAST guy on the list who should get in.
WTF? Why? The guy was hugely popular and lineal JWW champ for years.

Hatton gets in, probably first ballot.

Morales has to be one of the top 3. Finding the other 2 is tough and you can go several different ways depending on what you're looking for.

I would go with:

1. Morales
2. Vitali
3. Dariusz Michalczewski

People hate Michalczewski because he was largely protected but he still holds a record for title defenses and that's impressive. The fact that he was a champion for 10 years is an impressive feat regardless of opposition.

I don't think Hatton is a first round ballot guarantee at all. He won his first major title after 39 fights beating an old, washed up Kostya Tszyu and then he defended the belt for 2 years, lost to Mayweather and his career went downhill quick.

He should make it, but no way should it be first ballot when his biggest wins are faded Kostya and JLC. He can wait.

Morales has to be one of the top 3. Finding the other 2 is tough and you can go several different ways depending on what you're looking for.

I would go with:

1. Morales
2. Vitali
3. Dariusz Michalczewski

People hate Michalczewski because he was largely protected but he still holds a record for title defenses and that's impressive. The fact that he was a champion for 10 years is an impressive feat regardless of opposition.
Glad to see Michalczewski get a shout out on here. People forget that he was THE lineal champion at the time. That still counts for something. I'd favor him over a lot of historical LHWs too, just not RJJ.

honestly this year has a lot of guys that are all roughly equal to each other, it's a very competitive year.

I think Morales is hte most obvious choice then probably winky. After that, you have tons of guys around each others levels. Hatton, Vitali, Curry, Benn, Calderon, Arbachakov, Michalzewski, Moon, Roman, Chitalada, Moorer are all guys I could see getting in. Some of thsoe guys I'd put at or near the level of Winky too, I don't think he's a slam dunk as #2 either.

Moon, Morales and Benn.

moon is definitely a worth candidate. He's beaten some real talents in the lower weight classes, was a two div titlist (one lineal) and had a pretty good amateur career too. One of the most entertaining warriors ever too. Total blood and guts.

Chitalada is also in that discussion, but totally different in style. Very dominant at flyweight, and defeated some real quality contenders. Winning a lineal championship in 4 fights is impressive and so is holdin it for as long as he did. resume wise, both of those guys stack up to all the other options easily.

Last edited:
in this class im starting to think Hatton should have to wait tbh

The lack of picks here for Nigel Benn is disgusting.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

WTF? Why? The guy was hugely popular and lineal JWW champ for years.

Hatton gets in, probably first ballot.
He will get in on the basis of popularity but on the basis of resume and ability? Nope.
It's so easy to get into HOF these days. If Linares were to retire, he'd probably even make HOF.

How does boxing voting go? Like in some other sports there are guys who don't get voted due to various personal reasons, vendetta's, etc. Would Hatton be one of those guys ?
That's not the case for boxing. Hatton had alcohol problems, that's nothing really to do with boxing. Carlos Monzon is a Hall of Famer and he killed his wife.
However, Hatton's resume isn't HOF worthy. I consider him a very good fighter with a very good resume, but it's definitely short of HOF - what will make him HOF is his popularity however.

He will get in on the basis of popularity but on the basis of resume and ability? Nope.
It's so easy to get into HOF these days. If Linares were to retire, he'd probably even make HOF.
Its the hall of FAME, not the hall of resume and ability. There are much lesser fighters than Hatton in the hall.

Back