Boxing gloves ripping my hands up/knuckle

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by XxaemaeThxX, Jan 2, 2018.

1. esum80

esum80 ศิษย์มนต์ชัย

exactly. the adage of "you get what you pay for" applies here.

hangulmalmotayo likes this.
  2. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Yeah my right glove is pretty unusable. I got rid of them a few months ago. Again initially felt good. But quickly, the padding smashed down

I wish i had taken a picture to see if yours wore down the same as mine Hang

3. StRatoCastR

Not to disagree with you Wold, your posts are quality bro.

but as an opinion I wouldnt go THAT far. My fairtex are good yes (bgv1, bgv5(i think)and bgv9). But not on Reyes level.

And imo my twins arent on par with my fairtex

Woldog likes this.
  4. hangulmalmotayo

hangulmalmotayo Green Belt

I actually think the Fairtex BGL7 are better in quality than my Reyes.

5. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

I accept that, I place Fairtex high above Twins, but by saying edging towards I didn't mean they were already at the level, but they are slowly making ground. Reyes are starting to slip in quality or it may have just been the gloves I got. At the end of the day competition is good and competition brings advances in technology. I'd love to see a brand like Fairtex become part of the big four (Grant, Winning, Cleto, Rival)

6. XxaemaeThxX

XxaemaeThxX White Belt

Thanks for the replies thus far, I been hitting the bag for quite a few years so i don't believe its my form ( i strike with first 2 knuckles, and tighten first upon impact, snapping punch with proper body form).

I think the 12oz R2C were just too small and not enough padding TBH. I'm 185lbs but thought I could get away with it, but I been smashing the heavy bag for years using 16oz , hitting as hard as I can, and I think my power (not saying I have alot or bragging lol) was way too much for 12 oz gloves relative to what my knuckles are conditioned for.

BTW, I got the SABAS SuperSoft gloves today $119.99 and they are simply on another Level of comfort and craftsmanship. They make my 79$ Venums, or 99$ Top King's look like 30$ EverLast gloves from WalMart.

The seem even better made the then the R2C (although as previously stated the R2C are 12oz so and I think that was the major issue), but the SABAS definitely contorts to the hand better as the R2C is really wide where the SABAS feels like a glove that was tailored to your hand like some Armani suit. Also, I have no knuckle pain at all hitting the heavy bag.

Really happy with these SABAS gloves and they are quite sexy, I'll see how they fair up in the next few months , but for now, I can definitely see why they are hyped up currently with WINNING, Reyes or Grant the value these things offer are amazing.

esum80 likes this.
  7. esum80

esum80 ศิษย์มนต์ชัย

my gf has two pairs of sabas and she is super impressed with them. the ones she have are modelled after cleto reyes.

8. StRatoCastR

Gotcha, I misunderstood. I thought u meant they were on par. Instead of edging closer.

I hope reyes isnt slipping. I havent bought a pair in what... 2-3 years i think since my last reyes review? If so, i hope they pick it back up.

Woldog likes this.
  9. deh707

deh707 Orange Belt

How has your Reyes held up since then?

And which gloves have you been using lately?

10. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

The Reyes gloves I got were fantastic, but I had used a pair from 3 years earlier and they felt amazing compared to mine, the quality control of the padding dropped and that's what caused me to move to Fairtex. I'll try Reyes again after I try other brands like Topboxer, sabas and maybe even ONX. So they Reyes gloves aren't bad but they certainly are not as good as they were.

StRatoCastR likes this.
  11. StRatoCastR

Oh of course, other than the logo flaking off a bit.

Winning, uma, reyes pretty much just those these days

12. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Brown Belt

That's exactly what went wrong.
    You're not punching with form, and are used to a glove a lot like " Sock em bopers " where you can just limp hand and wail away on the bag.

You have 2 options,
    1. Learn to punch correctly, and with proper form and fundamentals. Get actual skill, become better, and realize that those are good gloves
    Or
    2. Keep loose fisting the bag with some venum or other more commercial glove for taebo classes / cardio kickboxing thats high Oz and puffy af.

Reyesnuthugr and Woldog like this.
  13. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

OP, I haven't read the entire thread but I wanted to let you know I had the exact same issue with my R2C Japanese style gloves. Same cut in the same area of my pinky fingers. It bothered me for a while because I was training too frequently for the cuts to heal.
    I started to cover that knuckle on both my pinky fingers with thick bandaids before every training session. I used a quality bandaid that was sticky and flexible. This allowed my injury to heal and a callus to form. Now I can wear my R2C gloves without any problem. I don't know if that's because of the callus that has formed or from breaking in the gloves to match the profile of my fist better.

Hope this helps

14. smittywerben_box

smittywerben_box White Belt

I have the same problem with Sabas but never had a problem with R2C. For the Sabas Supersoft it destroyed my pinky even though I had a correct point of contact when striking the bag. Will always love my R2C but the hype around more expensive gloves is true. For me, I get better protection with my 10oz Winning compared to Sabas.

15. Noodles03

Noodles03 Blue Belt

I had similar issue with my old Classics gloves. However, I now hear that they change a lot and now they are more comfortable.

16. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

As for soreness in your middle knuckles, I also dealt with that for a while.
    The first step is to let your middle knuckles heal. This means you can't keep hitting the heavy bags. I suggest sticking with shadow boxing, double end bag, and speed bag until it's feeling 100%. Next thing would be to look at the way you wrap your hands. I found that the R2C are a bit tight on my hands and if I wrap too many layers, my knuckles get very sore. I can't wrap between my knuckles and I can't wrap more than 3 times over the knuckles. I place most of the wrap around my wrists and my knuckle pain has fully disappeared. Once you reintroduce the heavy bag, mitts, sparring, etc, start light and make sure your punching form is perfect. Build back slowly your punching force once you've figured out the wraps with those gloves and are feeling good.