Boxing Glove Question - Winning or Cleto Reyes w/ a Twist

conceptfighter0432

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The topic of Cleto Reyes vs. Winning has been discussed heavily on this forum, but not in a way that is beneficial to my unique case.

I'm being gifted a pair of gloves. Money is not of concern, but I want a versatile glove (Mitts, Spar, Bag) that will last a good bit of time.

With Winning I love the idea of protection, however with the added cushion I foresee the gloves as being heavy and not offering much feedback on punches.

With Cletos I love the idea of getting feedback on punches, but I'm not too big on the fact that I won't get as much protection (I use MMA gloves on my bag sometimes for knuckle hardening, and I'll admit when I go hard it forces me to take the next day off. I'm assuming Cleto Reyes gloves have about the same padding?). HOWEVER, I noticed Cleto Reyes just launched a new "Extra Padding" Glove.

I'm 19 y/o, weigh 185lbs, practice 4-5 nights a week, and do not foresee myself going pro but instead sparring a lot.

Thanks for all feedback!

If you plan on sparring more than pad and bag work, then Winnings are your gloves.

If you plan on doing more bag work with a side order of sparring (once broken in), then Reyes are your gloves.

Do not get the extra padded Reyes, they're too top heavy. Reyes standard training gloves offer good protection for your knuckles, it's the pro fight ones that gained the notoriety of poor knuckle protection.

The Reyes training gloves have a decent amount of padding. I haven't had any knuckle issues with them—and I don't use any NG2s for additional knuckle protection.

Back