Boxing essentials? Gloves, boots.. Any advice?

I understand saving money by buying used gear like bags, etc. however, buying used gloves is sorta like buying and wearing someone else's used, unwashed underwear. Same for headgear and other protective gear.
ya, I know, it doesn't bother me though, you should have seen the gloves I sparred with when i was a kid, they must have been worn by hundreds of fighters and they were hard as a rock. And gloves have often been provided by the gym. People are different though, some people think that's wierd, also people are more germaphobic than they used to be, way more. It makes sense in a sport like wrestling where you have to worry about impetigo and ringworm but I always told guys that we didn't have to worry about all that shit in boxing so the drowning everything in bleach was a change when I got to grappling.

I think the problem is that by and large the $30 Everlast gloves are overpriced and horribly made. The velcro strap on them is weak with flimsy stitching attaching it to the way-too-short elastic strap and the "synthetic leather" is three ring binder-grade vinyl. These aren't even their lowest-grade models they sell for actual boxing. Low-end Everlast is literally resting on its name to charge $15-20 more than it's worth. Title's "worst" boxing gloves have a much better wraparound velcro strap and thicker, more durable vinyl for $20 less.

TBH after owning two of them I honestly think Everlast's premium models (except their MX line) aren't worth the price either. Their Protex2 lace ups had poor stitching and padding that deteriorated way too quickly for how shitty a boxer I am and from what I understand their Powerlocks come apart quickly. When you can buy Titles, Ringsides, or Rivals at that price point that are superior quality, I just don't see why anyone would want to use Everlast outside of brand loyalty or fit.
interesting, I guess no one even uses everlast much anymore do they?

interesting, I guess no one even uses everlast much anymore do they?
A lot of pros get sent Everlast in sponsorship or get deals and discounts on Everlast. They're still the biggest brand in the world, but they're far removed from what they used to be and obviously totally removed from their NY "Made in Bronx" type origins, and deservedly they have a bad reputation too. Nothing Everlast has been made there for decades, and there have only been a select few boutique brands to actually still make boxing gloves in the US in the last 10 years.

i guess so, i've got a pair of new bag gloves, although they are leather, i've only used them for a couple mos and i noticed last night that the threads are already coming apart. their handwraps seem to be made cheaper too. I had a pair of everlast bag gloves that i used the hell out of for several years, i did wear them out but I really, really used them, still have them in fact, they were made a lot better. the new bag gloves where they try to mold them into the shape of a fist, i don't like because it makes it harder to snap the punches on the bag when it's molded in a curve like that. My biggest qualm, i wish they'd stop trying to update stuff because it doesn't help most of the time.

My biggest qualm, i wish they'd stop trying to update stuff because it doesn't help most of the time.
yeah I mean, they definitely didn't do it to improve things specifically, more like it reduced costs and allowed for easy mass production performed by cheap labourers

A lot of pros get sent Everlast in sponsorship or get deals and discounts on Everlast. They're still the biggest brand in the world, but they're far removed from what they used to be and obviously totally removed from their NY "Made in Bronx" type origins, and deservedly they have a bad reputation too. Nothing Everlast has been made there for decades, and there have only been a select few boutique brands to actually still make boxing gloves in the US in the last 10 years.

From what I understand they were bought out by Sports Direct International, who also owns Lonsdale or something now. SDI is a general sporting goods company with no real ties to boxing and most of their models (even the expensive ones) are overpriced Pakistani-made clones.

From what I understand they were bought out by Sports Direct International, who also owns Lonsdale or something now. SDI is a general sporting goods company with no real ties to boxing and most of their models (even the expensive ones) are overpriced Pakistani-made clones.
Yep, I'd guess products by John Golomb as grandson of the founder of Everlast, and as one of the only people producing boxing gloves in America, might be the closest to OG Everlast someone can get these days.

Back