Boxing essentials? Gloves, boots.. Any advice?

Cheers guys! Will be buying some 14oz title gloves and hand wraps today. The trainer told me he has everything there but I'd rather get my own stuff.. I'm a bit like that, would rather know I could go train somewhere else without worrying about gear etc. I'm from the UK.
People are recommending Title because they're Americans and Title is based in America. This means it's a lot cheaper there than it is to get in the UK. Getting Title or the US brand Ringside (there's a UK brand also called Ringside which is different, and actually there's a UK brand called Title too which is different to the US Title) equipment in the UK is very much overpriced.

People are recommending Title because they're Americans and Title is based in America. This means it's a lot cheaper there than it is to get in the UK. Getting Title or the US brand Ringside (there's a UK brand also called Ringside which is different, and actually there's a UK brand called Title too which is different to the US Title) equipment in the UK is very much overpriced.

I've realised this when I've been looking. Back to square one looking for a decent set of beginner gloves now lol. Venum and RDX seem common and averagely rated? Not really wanting to spend more than £50 really.

I've realised this when I've been looking. Back to square one looking for a decent set of beginner gloves now lol. Venum and RDX seem common and averagely rated? Not really wanting to spend more than £50 really.

RDX are okay for their basic budget stuff but nothing close to £50 from them will be worth it. I don't know much about Venum but iFossil does so it might be good to send him a message. I tried to tag him so he'd be notified of this post, but I don't know how and I think I fucked it up lol.

If I were you I'd just pick these up for £17 https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/311648993902 as they're leather and will be decent starter gloves. They won't last you forever but they'll tide you over. Most people recommend having 2 pairs of gloves, one for sparring and one for bagwork. Sparring gloves are typically 16oz. It's personal preference what people use for bags/pads.

The only things you need when you're starting: wrestling or boxing shoes, wraps, and bag gloves. Safety gear (headgear, mouthpiece, etc) and sparring gloves come down the road. Wait till you know you're going to spar before starting to buy those items.

As far as gloves, others have mentioned Title, Rival, and Ringside. I had a terrible time with my wrists when I first started and bought Hayabusas. The wrist and overall hand protection is worth the $100 or so you'll spend. If you buy nice gloves, also buy a boot drier to dry out them out and prevent smelly gloves.
I second Hyabusas, very good gloves.

I'd also say Hayabusa are good. I've used Grants and Winnings and I prefer Hayabusas mostly. Good hand protection and forms the fist correctly (unlike Ringsides and cheaper Everlasts). I have pretty big hands and they're pretty tight though, especially with wraps. But I've used them without wraps for awhile and they're great. Because they keep your knuckles and wrist aligned correctly and they're snug in me, wraps become a little redundant. I actually wind up with more hand pain when I do wear wraps because the gloves don't have enough room and it contorts my hand.

edit: sparring I preferred my 16oz grants. Plenty of room for good wrapping and great padding/fist formation. Hitting elbows wasn't as bad as with other gloves. But at a big markup. The Hayabusas are just as good for the value.

I'm probably the only one who digs Everlast

They sort of get a raw deal. Their premium gloves are fine, but the $30 junk they sell at Wal Mart is what most people see.

If he's taking it seriously he wants a bespoke one from a dentist for a mouth guard. The cheap ones are as useful as a chocolate kettle.

Well yeah, eventually. I forgot to include that.
But at first, just a regular cheap one will do fine because they're not going to be doing super hard 100% sparring anytime soon.

Once a person is sure they're going to continue, shell out for the better equipment (better gloves, two sets of them: 1 harder more durable set for bags/pads and a separate softer pair for sparring), including a custom mouthguard.

*Also I think the ones from the dentist are not always that appropriate-- they're closely fit but made of pretty damn hard material, almost plastic (source: I worked alongside a dentist for near a decade). I think the ones made for MMA/Boxing that you order online are better suited, imo (and also slightly more affordable).

----

Also, try not to go for the flashy "in your face" equipment as much, it's "bad luck" and makes you a target, especially at first. Just get proper looking respectable stuff. Watch it to make sure someone doesn't steal it "by accident". Odd how those accidents only happen to the expensive stuff...

Last edited:
But at first, just a regular cheap one will do fine because they're not going to be doing super hard 100% sparring anytime soon.

Once a person is sure they're going to continue, shell out for the better equipment (better gloves, two sets of them for bags/pads and a separate pair for sparring), including custom mouthguards.

*Also I think the ones from the dentist are not always that appropriate-- they're closely fit but made of pretty damn hard material, almost plastic (source: I worked alongside a dentist for near a decade). I think the ones made for MMA/Boxing that you order online are better suited, imo (and also slightly more affordable).

To add to the mouth guard discussion, I found that the double mouth guards actually make it harder to breathe despite the marketing. Something to keep in mind if you're buying a general purpose guard for the first time.

To add to the mouth guard discussion, I found that the double mouth guards actually make it harder to breathe despite the marketing. Something to keep in mind if you're buying a general purpose guard for the first time.

Agreed 1000%. Dont mess with that "double mouthguard", it's a really bad gimmick that seems perfectly believable to someone who hasn't trained much or at all but just robs your ability to breathe correctly. If you find a cheap one and want to try, go ahead-- that's what I did. $6 wasted. You wont see amateurs or pros wearing double mouthguards.

There's also really gimmicky gloves, etc. which are shaped all space-age weird-- dont fall for those either. Stay modest or you will regret it.

Once you are satisfactorily skilled you will be in a better place to see whats wrong with all those gimmicks. Just get the tried and true stuff for now or else not only will you look like some idiot that needs to get the sense beat into him, but others will also not see you as humble and will refuse to share their knowledge with you for the same reason (which is a gargantuan drawback). Also the gimmicks will hurt your performance and development, and may even injure you. They're there to make money, not help you. You'll be better able to see this once you are established.

I'd also say Hayabusa are good. I've used Grants and Winnings and I prefer Hayabusas mostly. Good hand protection and forms the fist correctly (unlike Ringsides and cheaper Everlasts). I have pretty big hands and they're pretty tight though, especially with wraps. But I've used them without wraps for awhile and they're great. Because they keep your knuckles and wrist aligned correctly and they're snug in me, wraps become a little redundant. I actually wind up with more hand pain when I do wear wraps because the gloves don't have enough room and it contorts my hand.

edit: sparring I preferred my 16oz grants. Plenty of room for good wrapping and great padding/fist formation. Hitting elbows wasn't as bad as with other gloves. But at a big markup. The Hayabusas are just as good for the value.

They sort of get a raw deal. Their premium gloves are fine, but the $30 junk they sell at Wal Mart is what most people see.
everlast is the best, as far as most people are concerned. I don't know if they are that overpriced, i never buy new gear as far as gloves. Like i said, I can find great gloves in great condition every other week for 5 bucks at second hand stores. No point buying new gear really. I'm sure it can be found online also. I was thinking of getting some kicking pads a few weeks ago, they were 50 bucks a piece, I can get them from a second hand store. Even really good heavybags are at Goodwill all the time for 20-30 bucks. I buy too much sometimes just because I can't pass up such great bargains for equipement that was hardly used.

There's also really gimmicky gloves, etc. which are shaped all space-age weird-- dont fall for those either. Stay modest or you will regret it.

Once you are satisfactorily skilled you will be in a better place to see whats wrong with all those gimmicks. Just get the tried and true stuff for now or else not only will you look like some idiot that needs to get the sense beat into him, but others will also not see you as humble and will refuse to share their knowledge with you for the same reason (which is a gargantuan drawback). Also the gimmicks will hurt your performance and development, and may even injure you. They're there to make money, not help you. You'll be better able to see this once you are established.
ya, i figure maybe i'm just old but I don't like seeing any changes in the equipemnt, I'd rather have horsehair in the gloves rather than foam, i'd rather have perfectly flat focus mitts instead of the ones they sell today. some of the stuff is good though, new jumpropes are probably an advancement, handwraps don't seem to be made the classic length that i'd been using for thirty years but I make do. anyway, wish they'd leave it alone if it ain't broke. the little portable timers are a nice thing though, really nice. don't have to stop and look at my watch anymore, as I don't train in real gyms anymore.

ya, i figure maybe i'm just old but I don't like seeing any changes in the equipemnt, I'd rather have horsehair in the gloves rather than foam, i'd rather have perfectly flat focus mitts instead of the ones they sell today. some of the stuff is good though, new jumpropes are probably an advancement, handwraps don't seem to be made the classic length that i'd been using for thirty years but I make do. anyway, wish they'd leave it alone if it ain't broke. the little portable timers are a nice thing though, really nice. don't have to stop and look at my watch anymore, as I don't train in real gyms anymore.

There should be a noted difference between "modern" and "gimmicky." Modern is what all the pros and amateurs are using to train. Gimmicky is stuff that you never see any established person using, and likely only see people who don't know how to do techniques using in their backyards self-training on youtube. Modern has usually been around for a few years at least and is established.
---
You almost cant go wrong with the older stuff. It's all vintage now and worth money. The new stuff is just cheaper and easier to make for the most part, not better per se.

Any kind of jumprope is okay as long as you can use it reliably. The OLD leather jumprope is still really good (I have one). It's actually better than the new ones in the way that its more durable and can be used on pavement or rough surfaces (like unfinished wood) if necessary, and yet still operates plenty smooth. It weighs slightly more but not enough to be significant or awkward, just a more sturdy and long lasting feel. The new ones are super light and fast but either need to be replaced much sooner and/or they cost a lot more for not any real performance gain (quality of exercise to the user).

I like horsehair gloves too, but now that's kinda seen as a luxury. It hasn't been outmoded so much as displaced by something cheaper and more plentiful to substitute it with for larger scale manufacturing. Grants still use some horsehair in their gloves, I've heard. You can still get horsehair gloves made (usually in Mexico by some company like Reyes) but they are a custom order and cost more.

If TS or anyone isn't sure whether something is legit or a gimmick, its a good thing to go over to the equipment and gear subforums on here, they can save you a lot of time, money and heartache. Some people on here buy/try everything they can get their hands on (and also there are several legit manufacturers /distributors/ skilled makers on here) so there are almost always a few people with experience with almost any product you could ask about. They also enjoy talking about their experiences/impressions so you might as well.

Last edited:

Once a person is sure they're going to continue, shell out for the better equipment (better gloves, two sets of them: 1 harder more durable set for bags/pads and a separate softer pair for sparring), including a custom mouthguard.

----

Also, try not to go for the flashy "in your face" equipment as much, it's "bad luck" and makes you a target, especially at first. Just get proper looking respectable stuff. Watch it to make sure someone doesn't steal it "by accident". Odd how those accidents only happen to the expensive stuff...
No agreed mate, I thought that was what you meant.

But imo also the 30€ ones are good if you don't want to spend too much money, and box for recreational purposes

Or if you want to see whether you like the sport or not

I like the materials they used for the newer cheap ones

i think the very first pair of gloves i bought were some sugar ray leonard gloves, god they were cheap, stuffed with rag i think, made of vinyl. kind of fucked up how they didn't even care that kids would be trying to tear each other's heads off with that cheap shit.

There should be a noted difference between "modern" and "gimmicky." Modern is what all the pros and amateurs are using to train. Gimmicky is stuff that you never see any established person using, and likely only see people who don't know how to do techniques using in their backyards self-training on youtube. Modern has usually been around for a few years at least and is established.
---
You almost cant go wrong with the older stuff. It's all vintage now and worth money. The new stuff is just cheaper and easier to make for the most part, not better per se.

Any kind of jumprope is okay as long as you can use it reliably. The OLD leather jumprope is still really good (I have one). It's actually better than the new ones in the way that its more durable and can be used on pavement or rough surfaces (like unfinished wood) if necessary, and yet still operates plenty smooth. It weighs slightly more but not enough to be significant or awkward, just a more sturdy and long lasting feel. The new ones are super light and fast but either need to be replaced much sooner and/or they cost a lot more for not any real performance gain (quality of exercise to the user).

I like horsehair gloves too, but now that's kinda seen as a luxury. It hasn't been outmoded so much as displaced by something cheaper and more plentiful to substitute it with for larger scale manufacturing. Grants still use some horsehair in their gloves, I've heard. You can still get horsehair gloves made (usually in Mexico by some company like Reyes) but they are a custom order and cost more.

If TS or anyone isn't sure whether something is legit or a gimmick, its a good thing to go over to the equipment and gear subforums on here, they can save you a lot of time, money and heartache. Some people on here buy/try everything they can get their hands on (and also there are several legit manufacturers /distributors/ skilled makers on here) so there are almost always a few people with experience with almost any product you could ask about. They also enjoy talking about their experiences/impressions so you might as well.
i wasn't aware anyone made or used horsheair gloves anymore, leather ropes are fine, the ones they have that are made of rubbery material go faster I think, or seem to. I have several different kinds of rope. in fact, with all the weight i've gained in the last couple years, jumping rope is the one thing, the only thing that the extra weight seriously affects. I can't even skip through a round anymore, fuck, i can still hit the bag and shadowbox several rounds but losing weight is really tough for me now, especially since there's many more things i've got on my mind.

But imo also the 30€ ones are good if you don't want to spend too much money, and box for recreational purposes

Or if you want to see whether you like the sport or not

I like the materials they used for the newer cheap ones

I think the problem is that by and large the $30 Everlast gloves are overpriced and horribly made. The velcro strap on them is weak with flimsy stitching attaching it to the way-too-short elastic strap and the "synthetic leather" is three ring binder-grade vinyl. These aren't even their lowest-grade models they sell for actual boxing. Low-end Everlast is literally resting on its name to charge $15-20 more than it's worth. Title's "worst" boxing gloves have a much better wraparound velcro strap and thicker, more durable vinyl for $20 less.

TBH after owning two of them I honestly think Everlast's premium models (except their MX line) aren't worth the price either. Their Protex2 lace ups had poor stitching and padding that deteriorated way too quickly for how shitty a boxer I am and from what I understand their Powerlocks come apart quickly. When you can buy Titles, Ringsides, or Rivals at that price point that are superior quality, I just don't see why anyone would want to use Everlast outside of brand loyalty or fit.

everlast is the best, as far as most people are concerned. I don't know if they are that overpriced, i never buy new gear as far as gloves. Like i said, I can find great gloves in great condition every other week for 5 bucks at second hand stores. No point buying new gear really. I'm sure it can be found online also. I was thinking of getting some kicking pads a few weeks ago, they were 50 bucks a piece, I can get them from a second hand store. Even really good heavybags are at Goodwill all the time for 20-30 bucks. I buy too much sometimes just because I can't pass up such great bargains for equipement that was hardly used.

I understand saving money by buying used gear like bags, etc. however, buying used gloves is sorta like buying and wearing someone else's used, unwashed underwear. Same for headgear and other protective gear.

Back