Boxing essentials? Gloves, boots.. Any advice?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Some of you might of seen my previous thread about my first boxing lesson today.. Really enjoyed myself and would like to get a few bits together..

I've just ordered some boxing boots but that's it. I'd like to buy some gloves but all the different weights and purposes confused me (bag gloves, sparring gloves..)
{<huh}

Could you guys recommend me some must have equipment and reputable, good value makes? Much appreciated.

Hand wrap, headgear , mouth piece , vomit Bucket
What did you guys do on 1st day ? ,

Some of you might of seen my previous thread about my first boxing lesson today.. Really enjoyed myself and would like to get a few bits together..

I've just ordered some boxing boots but that's it. I'd like to buy some gloves but all the different weights and purposes confused me (bag gloves, sparring gloves..)
{<huh}

Could you guys recommend me some must have equipment and reputable, good value makes? Much appreciated.

I'm a low-level coach at a good gym, so if someone else can give better advice, listen to them.

This is a super long read but you can skip to the parts that are relevant to you

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-equipment/best-boxing-gloves-review

I tend to pimp Title out but they're a very "solid" first buy for equipment in that they're inexpensive and they make adequate boxing gear for people who are just getting into the sport. A good mouth guard, pair of 180" hand wraps, and a pair of 12-16oz gloves for general bagwork. At some point you'll want a pair of 16oz gloves for sparring, but that can wait until you're ready.

Stay away from Everlast. They're okay at best quality but overpriced.

Ringside is similar to Title.

Ring2Cage is another good set of mma/boxing gear.

Rival is good Canadian gear that is expensive but worth it.

Most other 40-80$ brands are copies of Ringside or Title.

Check out the Gear and Equipment forum which is specifically devoted to these kind of threads. Do a search as this stuff has been gone over to death. Answering your question properly would require us to know where you're located in the world too.

There's also an FAQ that I wrote in that forum that is relevant to you.

The only things you need when you're starting: wrestling or boxing shoes, wraps, and bag gloves. Safety gear (headgear, mouthpiece, etc) and sparring gloves come down the road. Wait till you know you're going to spar before starting to buy those items.

As far as gloves, others have mentioned Title, Rival, and Ringside. I had a terrible time with my wrists when I first started and bought Hayabusas. The wrist and overall hand protection is worth the $100 or so you'll spend. If you buy nice gloves, also buy a boot drier to dry out them out and prevent smelly gloves.

whoever you're working with should tell you what you need, if they have a good selection of equipement, you might not need to buy much. Gloves, at least when i was a kid, were always provided in fact, the only thing i had to buy as a beginner was handwraps, of course, later on you need your own mouthpiece. I'm not sure if boxing gyms do what the mma gyms do, mma gyms require you to buy this or that from them usually to bilk as much money as they can out of you, those kinds of things really put me off because they seemed to prioritize money over the real goal. In fact, I'd steer clear of anyplace that does that. you don't have to spend much for boxing equipement, i see equipement all the time at second hand stores that is very lightly used and for cheap, also ebay etc.., there are tons of people that buy stuff work out a couple times and quit.

whoever you're working with should tell you what you need, if they have a good selection of equipement, you might not need to buy much. Gloves, at least when i was a kid, were always provided in fact, the only thing i had to buy as a beginner was handwraps, of course, later on you need your own mouthpiece. I'm not sure if boxing gyms do what the mma gyms do, mma gyms require you to buy this or that from them usually to bilk as much money as they can out of you, those kinds of things really put me off because they seemed to prioritize money over the real goal. In fact, I'd steer clear of anyplace that does that. you don't have to spend much for boxing equipement, i see equipement all the time at second hand stores that is very lightly used and for cheap, also ebay etc.., there are tons of people that buy stuff work out a couple times and quit.

I went to a mixed gym that did that. I had been training for about 3 years and moved out of state so I had to find a new gym. When I showed up they tried selling me gear (not much, just handwraps and gloves) so I just motioned to my bag that I had with me since I already had everything. They weren't thrilled with that but they gave me a day pass for a trial and let me in. After that, one of the guys was hovering and being nitpicky about my wraps as I put them on (apparently they were too long *chuckle*).

The straw that broke the camels back though was that they wanted people to pay over $100 a month for the gym to hold pads for each other. I guess that's pretty common for mma gyms but if I'm paying that amount of money I want someone who knows what they're doing working with me and correcting the problems they see - not some other nobody who's trying to figure this stuff out too. At that point I split and never went back.

What's weird is that there was a fairly well-known fighter/trainer combination there (and the gym made sure to market that), but the trainer would just sit around yelling out general group instructions. Never once did he interact with anyone one on one - he had one of the more experienced fighters come over though. I've come to the conclusion that he's just milking some suckers with his limited fame and that's all he really want to do there until he gets a call to assist.

yup, sounds exactly like the gym i went to. sickening, literally sickening how ramshackle everything got done. really though, it's very shortsighted and smallminded because I felt, what is an extra 20-40 bucks in comparison to someone who could make you thousands. Unfortunately, they had me sign a contract before they did that shit, pretty much ruined things from the start for me, i'm still angry about it after all these years. And ya, the more "nobodies" they get in to hold pads, to spar or whatever, the better for them and the worse for YOU. The owner wouldn't even show up most of the time, he'd leave some underling to "teach". It just all goes to show, because he has had success, "even a stopped clock is right twice a day".

I went to a mixed gym that did that. I had been training for about 3 years and moved out of state so I had to find a new gym. When I showed up they tried selling me gear (not much, just handwraps and gloves) so I just motioned to my bag that I had with me since I already had everything. They weren't thrilled with that but they gave me a day pass for a trial and let me in. After that, one of the guys was hovering and being nitpicky about my wraps as I put them on (apparently they were too long *chuckle*).

The straw that broke the camels back though was that they wanted people to pay over $100 a month for the gym to hold pads for each other. I guess that's pretty common for mma gyms but if I'm paying that amount of money I want someone who knows what they're doing working with me and correcting the problems they see - not some other nobody who's trying to figure this stuff out too. At that point I split and never went back.

What's weird is that there was a fairly well-known fighter/trainer combination there (and the gym made sure to market that), but the trainer would just sit around yelling out general group instructions. Never once did he interact with anyone one on one - he had one of the more experienced fighters come over though. I've come to the conclusion that he's just milking some suckers with his limited fame and that's all he really want to do there until he gets a call to assist.
Did that said gyms name start with u and end with c ?

Boxing has always been a poor man's sport, you don't need a lot of high-tech expensive gear to start boxing. just getchaself some decent 12 oz gloves for training and some handwraps, as well as a mouthpiece and you should be good.

Did that said gyms name start with u and end with c ?
hell, i was going to ask him if it started with an a and ended with a c, sounds exactly like it but i just figure most of them are run like that.

Boxing has always been a poor man's sport, you don't need a lot of high-tech expensive gear to start boxing. just getchaself some decent 12 oz gloves for training and some handwraps, as well as a mouthpiece and you should be good.
ya, i'd say get bag gloves before 12 oz gloves, what you need whether you provide them or they do is 1. wraps 2. bag gloves 3. mouthpiece 4. cup 5. 16 ounce sparring gloves 6. heavybag 7. speedbag 8. jumprope 9. a ring 10. timer

ya, i'd say get bag gloves before 12 oz gloves, what you need whether you provide them or they do is 1. wraps 2. bag gloves 3. mouthpiece 4. cup 5. 16 ounce sparring gloves 6. heavybag 7. speedbag 8. jumprope 9. a ring 10. timer
Dang, you spar with 16 oz gloves? That's huge

that was normal when i was a kid, 16 ounce gloves for sparring, as far as I know that's been the way its been for awhile.

Cheers guys! Will be buying some 14oz title gloves and hand wraps today. The trainer told me he has everything there but I'd rather get my own stuff.. I'm a bit like that, would rather know I could go train somewhere else without worrying about gear etc. I'm from the UK.

Last edited:
Get a mouthpiece for sparring. Start with a cheap 2 dollar boil-and-bite one (from a sports store like Big 5) like they use for football. If it's tanhe football version, it will be identical the the regular generic one except have an extra tether part that clips onto the facecage of the football helmet (snip that part off with scissors before boiling it)

---

If you want to actually get useful skills and not just burn off a few pounds of fat while getting slower and stupider like most of the rest of the class, you have to get private lessons. Private lessons are not something that is talked about but it is assumed you already understand that they are necessary. They're not going to really teach you anything unless you literally pay them by the hour for instruction and to polish your technique/ movement during those sessions. Good news is, since you're paying for it, you can request to them what things/area you specifically want to work on (if you don't, they might end up having you just do random aerobic stuff while they wait out the clock [just like in regular gym class]- they'd love that)

Make sure to get private lessons from someone who is very technical. Also they should be good at explaining things (these guys often have a good or dark sense of humor).

Private lessons are part of boxing culture, but they don't talk about them or demand them because it is assumed that most boxers are too poor to afford them (and when they DO have money, they will shell out when they are able for sporadic lessons or series of lessons)

Usually, if they aren't famous, the rate is something like 20-25 dollars an hour. If they are decently good, it will be WORTH IT. If not, it will just be more wasted time and money. Be careful who you ask. Also you can often negotiate bundles for cheaper than single lessons.

It's not wrong to ask another boxer for help, but you should immediately offer to compensate them for their time/effort (with either money or lunch- because boxers are poor). You can ask for help to fix a technique of yours in exchange for buying them lunch that day, things like that. If they want more, offer more. It WILL be worth it. If they dont want to help, then go to someone or someplace else.

Scrounge good, accurate knowledge however you can. Don't ask brawlers or idiots. You want technical help, not how to learn malfunctional mistakes

Good luck!

Get a mouthpiece for sparring. Start with a cheap 2 dollar boil-and-bite one (from a sports store like Big 5) like they use for football. If it's tanhe football version, it will be identical the the regular generic one except have an extra tether part that clips onto the facecage of the football helmet (snip that part off with scissors before boiling it)

---

If you want to actually get useful skills and not just burn off a few pounds of fat while getting slower and stupider like most of the rest of the class, you have to get private lessons. Private lessons are not something that is talked about but it is assumed you already understand that they are necessary. They're not going to really teach you anything unless you literally pay them by the hour for instruction and to polish your technique/ movement during those sessions. Good news is, since you're paying for it, you can request to them what things/area you specifically want to work on (if you don't, they might end up having you just do random aerobic stuff while they wait out the clock [just like in regular gym class]- they'd love that)

Make sure to get private lessons from someone who is very technical. Also they should be good at explaining things (these guys often have a good or dark sense of humor).

Private lessons are part of boxing culture, but they don't talk about them or demand them because it is assumed that most boxers are too poor to afford them (and when they DO have money, they will shell out when they are able for sporadic lessons or series of lessons)

Usually, if they aren't famous, the rate is something like 20-25 dollars an hour. If they are decently good, it will be WORTH IT. If not, it will just be more wasted time and money. Be careful who you ask. Also you can often negotiate bundles for cheaper than single lessons.

It's not wrong to ask another boxer for help, but you should immediately offer to compensate them for their time/effort (with either money or lunch- because boxers are poor). You can ask for help to fix a technique of yours in exchange for buying them lunch that day, things like that. If they want more, offer more. It WILL be worth it. If they dont want to help, then go to someone or someplace else.

Scrounge good, accurate knowledge however you can. Don't ask brawlers or idiots. You want technical help, not how to learn malfunctional mistakes

Good luck!
If he's taking it seriously he wants a bespoke one from a dentist for a mouth guard. The cheap ones are as useful as a chocolate kettle.

Back