Boxing Classics Custom 20 oz Review w/pics

ElvisFan9889

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Greetings to everyone

Today will be a review of the Mexican Brand Boxing Classics, hecho en mexico authentic boxing gloves. Purchased for $178.00 from Juan (Technoir) via email and paypal. Some companies should treat their customers the way juan treats his. He knows everything there is to know about mexican boxing equipment brands. His cs is A+ all the way.

The gloves came tightly packed in a small package. As soon as the plasic was taken off, the smell hit me immediately. The smell of the leather filled with room and has is very smilar to that of Cleto Reyes.

The leather itself is strong, tough, very thick feeling and has a distinct odor that you generally only get with mexicn equipment brands. Compared to the Zepol gloves I once owned, the leather feels significantly thicker.

I've tried four mexican brands. Grants back before their prices sky-rocketed.I paid 119 I believe.The leather felt dry and the padding was very dense. They weren't really all that comfortable IMO. The cleto reyes were very well made, excellently stitched and strong, thick, durable leather. The fingertip area was cut a little short and I didn't find them to be all that comfortable.

The zepol were comfortable, stitching was good, not great. The leather felt thin and a little plasticy. They ran small, and the wrist support could have been better. They were also single stitched only.

Easily, this is my favorite mexican brands,(yes, including reyes).

The craftsmanship is so darn close to reyes level. IMO, reyes is only marginally better (if at all).

The boxing classics has a biger fingertip area, and the thumb is far more comfortable. It's for these reasons, I've never understood the popularity of reyes.

The padding is actually very protective. They have more padding than my old grants and more then reyes. This could be due to the gloves being made larger or simply the cut of this particular pair, but, in any case, the fom seems to be as thick as some IMF kinds of gloves. The protection is actually very good. It's a little on the harder side, but very thick.

On the bag, they do an excellent job of protecting your hands, and IMO does so better than some gloves with multi-layer foam. Sometimes, less is indeed more.The latex has distinct feel. You have to use it to know what it feels like.

The wrist support is like a cast. It's a kin to ring to cage IMF foam gloves. Juan recommended cotton wrist supports for extra protection. The palm padding, is dense, thick and very protective.

The gloves do tend to run small, I had to loosen the laces to fit my hands in comfortably. After some minor adjustments, my hands slid right in the gloves. I find them the perfect size for my hands. I can also fit in them with 180" handwraps pretty comfortably.

I really wouldn't recommend using these for sparring until you break them down a little bit..That's really a judgement call.

The crafstmanship is tight and well done. The welted seams make these gloves look old school and classy. They definitely have the air of a "heavy dut" work horse glove that is made to takea beating.

The lining is smooth until you get to the finigers, where it becomes a little bit rough, but not bad. It doesn' really affect the performance. They could probably easily fix this.

Summary:
I really never understood the fus with reyes, the thumb is awkward, the stitching is A++,and the fingertip length could be a little longer.

These gloves do eveything and more that zepol can do and does it all better. These gloves are close to reyes in quality. They come in a variety of colors and the price of these custom will be about the same as a regulr reyes...Especially considering the obsurd price of grants, these gloves are very fairly priced.

Overall, they are great gloves, excellent quality, thick foam, and great wrist support.
These are A quality gloves

1evsy0.jpg

iqlowp.jpg

2dmh92t.jpg

2qj8wn5.jpg

Thanks for the review, those are some nice looking gloves!

Would it be possible to get a side by side shot of those gloves with another pair. I'm curious as to the size of those, especially as they're 20oz.

Wow. Really nice looking gloves.
Thanks for the review.

Generally speaking, they're close in size as 16oz Winning. They'e slightly longer and more narrow, but, they're definitely not massively huge for 20 oz.

t55211.jpg

24v8vh5.jpg

Winnings imo are too wide to begin with though.

I like them color combinations

I agree with Elvis whole heartedly.

The Fuss with Reyes is as good as Classics are the craftsmanship and leather is still outdone by Reyes.

The gloves overall-- Classics, are far more comfortable and do fit a wide Variety of hands where Reyes does not.

So yeah, I think Classics is the future of Mexican Boxing equipment. The guy down there is getting better, getting ahold of new leathers, doing special editions, and custom makes excellent gear.

BTW elvis are you actually going to KEEP those classics or can we expect to see them on ebay in a week or so?

No these are mine. These will be a great long term thing.. Actually, I'm returing some everlast mx gloves, which i didn't really care for.. and am going to buy another pair of these from juan...They're such a durable feeing glove. I mean the overall construction is just outstanding

Great review. You're using this for the bag? I'm wondering why you got 20 oz gloves. I'm a bigger guy but was told to go no higher than 18. Just preference?

I love my 16 ounce classics. The only issue I have is one of the seems along the finger pad inside the glove does rub against my fingers pretty hard. I do love how compact these are. I wanted to try more Mexican brands but I may have found my home in classics.

you know elvis, I really hate Everlast...

I keep wondering when they are going to actually care about gear again.

you know elvis, I really hate Everlast...

I keep wondering when they are going to actually care about gear again.

They have photos with Tyson and Ali so they have endorsement for life.

When Sports Authority and other department stores stops stocking them they will be in deep shit. As long as they are sold there, they will always be in business.

yeah doesn't help andre ward uses them as well. I know hes not well known to the casual boxing fan but still. I just don't understand why everlast is still in business. I wonder how many pairs he has to try out before he settles on 2 gloves.

Always wanted to get ahold of a pair 20 or 22 ozs and go all out in a sparring session.

yeah doesn't help andre ward uses them as well. I know hes not well known to the casual boxing fan but still. I just don't understand why everlast is still in business. I wonder how many pairs he has to try out before he settles on 2 gloves.

I was at a camp in Thailand and this guy scoffed at my bgv-9s and said "man, I wont use anything less than Everlast, they make some sweet gear".....

I didnt want to hurt his feelings so I just said "word"....

This is what he was using:

http://www.shopeverlast.com/pro-style-muay-thai-glove.html

Always wanted to get ahold of a pair 20 or 22 ozs and go all out in a sparring session.

You will gas faster.

I was at a camp in Thailand and this guy scoffed at my bgv-9s and said "man, I wont use anything less than Everlast, they make some sweet gear".....

I didnt want to hurt his feelings so I just said "word"....

This is what he was using:

http://www.shopeverlast.com/pro-style-muay-thai-glove.html

I hope you stayed away from him after that or at least used a crucifix:D

I would have told him straight up those were the worst gloves in the world.

These bad boys are on eBay for anyone interested!
New and unused of course!

Back