Boxing and Lifting schedule. Is this possible or a recipe for Burn Out?

May221

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am 24 years old.

I am planning on joining a boxing gym soon, which offers 5 days of classes, mo-fri.

I am planning on going there mo-fri.

I also work out on and off. I am planning on working out mo, wed, fri right before boxing. Doing a 5x5 (stronglifts).

Is this possible ? Or am i gonna burn out? How do i avoid burning out?

No workout Sa and Su. Thanks everyone :)

When I lif the on training days, I lift about an after my training. Never had issues. But after I lift, I only want a shower and relax. I could not imagine training afterwards. But everyone is different. I am in my 50s and my weight training is to failure... so I am spent afterwards. Although when I did Strong Lifts 5x5, i was not as spent.

As for burnout, you might just to try that schedule and see what happens :) My schedule is training Mon thru Th, with lifting on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Fri.

How to avoid burnout? Lift and box often enough such that you "want" to lift and box... and not feel like you "have" to do it. In other words, stay hungry for it.

HTH.

-T

Edit...
Squatting before boxing? You might want to rethink that.

When I lif the on training days, I lift about an after my training. Never had issues. But after I lift, I only want a shower and relax. I could not imagine training afterwards. But everyone is different. I am in my 50s and my weight training is to failure... so I am spent afterwards. Although when I did Strong Lifts 5x5, i was not as spent.

As for burnout, you might just to try that schedule and see what happens :) My schedule is training Mon thru Th, with lifting on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Fri.

How to avoid burnout? Lift and box often enough such that you "want" to lift and box... and not feel like you "have" to do it. In other words, stay hungry for it.

HTH.

-T

Edit...
Squatting before boxing? You might want to rethink that.

Your last sentence did it for me. Im lifting after boxing and see how that goes :) thanks alot for your input ! :)

Depends if the classes have lots of conditioning drills involving bodyweight exercises such as push-ups.

What you need to watch out for the most is shoulder injuries since you really risk overtaxing them by both throwing punches and lifting heavy (Bench press and Overhead press)

Depends if the classes have lots of conditioning drills involving bodyweight exercises such as push-ups.

What you need to watch out for the most is shoulder injuries since you really risk overtaxing them by both throwing punches and lifting heavy (Bench press and Overhead press)

Good point. I have shoulder issues and was not certain if caused by bjj or muay thai. Definitely not the lifting since I have been lifting on and off for decades. But shoulders were overtaxed.

So I am stopping muay Thai for a bit.

-T

Last edited:
I wouldn't lift and box so close too each other. If you can, try to have a long period of time in between (lift early am, box at night, etc)

I did what you asked years ago, and on padwork I cramped up my upper back. Generally I don't do any kind striking on a day where I've done pulling type exercises were done.

At the end, it depends on you, how you'll adapt to the routine. I lift 6 days a week and train 4 days, and I'm fine. I've also been doing it for awhile so I'm used to it. I lift early am, and train at night, there's near 12h in between each session.

You have to recover as well. (food and sleep) Actually thats the most important one imo.

Ease into the routine, don't cold turkey it. Start with 2 boxing sessions a week, then increase it overtime (a week later, etc)

My coach doesn't let me go heavy on bench press at all. No squats on boxing days which is 3 - 4 days a week. But I do cardio everyday. So either I lift first thing in the morning, box, then cardio. Or cardio, box, then lift. I also do yoga, pilates, and (zumba for hip movement). All the above members gave you great advice.

Last edited:
Depends on what's more important to you, lifting or boxing? I did both once, and even though mentally I could do it, the physical strain will get to you with so much running and squatting. If boxing is more important then instead of 5x5, you should switch to 5/3/1 2 days a week and box 2-4 days depending on how much time you have. Bench pressing heavy will hurt your boxing, since you'll get really stiff. Squats and deads can help or hinder you depending on your ability to adjust.

Joel Jamieson usually has his fighters in mma strength train twice a week. I would do monday and friday BEFORE training boxing so you get 3 fresher days of boxing tues-thurs and then obviously friday you get the two days off to recover. I would switch to 3x5 if it were me because it has shown to be enough volume to drive your strength over and over again. After that something like 5/3/1 could work or even simpler you could just do like 8s down to 3s or 2s over the weeks rinse and repeat.

I'm guessing boxing but what is your priority? Boxing or lifting? Hard to give advice until we know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back