Boxers only- how long before you started sparring?

My coach had me sparring the first day directly after being gassed after running 2 miles. He lines all the boxers up on the out side of the ring and would pick people with similar skill levels. I dominated guys with the same experience so he put me in with guys with 1-2 years experience who compete. The first 3 days I was getting beat up the next week after I learned how to take the jab away I started to dominate the guys with 1-2 years experience.It was a fun experience being scared anxiety and overcoming the fear.
Sick 13 year bump dude

Depends on how athletic, coordinated, and devoted you are. I need to see someone demonstrate a solid understanding of fundamentals before we let them spar.

We start with drills- 1 jab for 1 jab. Then double jabs back and forth, then 3 jabs. This leads into jab sparring and “any 3 punches” drill sparring. Which leads to lead hand sparring. From there if someone isn’t a total spaz we’ll let them spar.

New guys get thrown in with the vets to make sure no one gets hurt and once they demonstrate some control and defense we’ll turn them lose on each other.

Process takes 6 weeks to 6 months typically.

Depends on how athletic, coordinated, and devoted you are. I need to see someone demonstrate a solid understanding of fundamentals before we let them spar.

We start with drills- 1 jab for 1 jab. Then double jabs back and forth, then 3 jabs. This leads into jab sparring and “any 3 punches” drill sparring. Which leads to lead hand sparring. From there if someone isn’t a total spaz we’ll let them spar.

New guys get thrown in with the vets to make sure no one gets hurt and once they demonstrate some control and defense we’ll turn them lose on each other.

Is any 3 punches sparring back and forth or just normal sparring with 3 punch combos?

Hopefully your gym is better than mine because we neither did any systematic bag work or sparring in the beginners group. The few times you do spar it will just be a game of tagg.

1-2 months

my gym has a 6 months before sparring period but that's BS. I just boxed after 1.5 months. The reason is even if you get fluent in focus mitt hitting it means nothing when you get in the ring. The earlier you get in the ring the better (but you gotta learn the basic punches first so when you spar you're nto completely clueless)

:eek: You poor soul! Here, let me help you, have a like! :)

EDIT: Just noticed this is a zombie thread from the dark ages.

Is any 3 punches sparring back and forth or just normal sparring with 3 punch combos?
i would do backflips if my team of knuckle heads could string together a whole sparring session of 3+ punch combinations.

You had it right, it’s “you throw any 3 punches and I’ll block or evade them. Then I’ll do the same thing to you”

About two days before my coach threw me in with someone who would rough me up a bit just to see what kind of heart I had. He usually waited a few weeks before doing that to people, but my dad boxed a bit so I already had a serviceable stance and could throw a 1-2 before I ever went to the gym.

Not including the gut check session, it was probably 3 weeks before I was sparring somewhat regularly.

My coach had me sparring the first day directly after being gassed after running 2 miles. He lines all the boxers up on the out side of the ring and would pick people with similar skill levels. I dominated guys with the same experience so he put me in with guys with 1-2 years experience who compete. The first 3 days I was getting beat up the next week after I learned how to take the jab away I started to dominate the guys with 1-2 years experience.It was a fun experience being scared anxiety and overcoming the fear.
In a week you were dominating guys with over a year of training?

<{cruzshake}>
You trying out for the next Olympic team?

In a week you were dominating guys with over a year of training?

<{cruzshake}>
You trying out for the next Olympic team?
hes too dangerous. It would start an international incident. As a nation we can’t be so irresponsible as to let him box on the world stage and besmirch the other teams

Lol I didn't realize it was a necroed thread when I responded. I feel dumb now, too.
Don't worry bro. Remember what Jesus said:
"Let him who has never responded to a necroed thread cast the first stone."

So many questions about what @Cutty 22 did here. Did he scroll back to 2005 and just look through thread titles? Did he run a search about when people start sparring and find this one? When he answered the OP so earnestly did he think that it would be helpful to the op and he’d see it after all these years? What is really going on here?<45>

Not a boxer, but I started bangin' when I was 17

So many questions about what @Cutty 22 did here. Did he scroll back to 2005 and just look through thread titles? Did he run a search about when people start sparring and find this one? When he answered the OP so earnestly did he think that it would be helpful to the op and he’d see it after all these years? What is really going on here?<45>

OP died in his first sparring session I guess. RIP

its one thing when they dont listen to the coach, its another thing when you tell the guy face to face, lets go light only, he agrees, and then 2 seconds later hes trying to take your head off.

13iiew.jpg

the proper way to do things!

the proper way to do things!
its a big change from the “grab a partner and get to work. Change partners on the bell” style sparring. That has its advantages too, but I like how we do things.

My coach grabs a group of boxers, usually no more than 6-7 at a time. They sit on the bench just outside the ring and she calls two in at a time to spar. She’s monitoring the time, she and I are giving advice to both fighters. Guys all get 3-5 rounds and then they’re done. It’s nice to have your head coach in the ring with you while you spar monitoring everything and giving advice. You learn to manage your gas tank because you only get a few rounds so you’d better push your pace. We only spar twice a week so if someone gets one over on you then you’ve got to wait 2-4 days before you can try and win it back.

No one should be sparring until they've demonstrated (either through drills or controlled sparring...meaning select punches at a time) that they can competently defend themselves. Any less time than that is too soon and all most will learn is how to accept getting beaten up better.

Back