Boxers only- how long before you started sparring?

Remember Me?

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how long it took before the boxers started sparring at their gym. I've been going to a gym for a little while now and I'm just wondering when I'll start sparring.

1-2 months

my gym has a 6 months before sparring period but that's BS. I just boxed after 1.5 months. The reason is even if you get fluent in focus mitt hitting it means nothing when you get in the ring. The earlier you get in the ring the better (but you gotta learn the basic punches first so when you spar you're nto completely clueless)

Yes, hitting mitts is a lot different than sparring. Shit, I would hope that maybe you could even just lightly "tit for tat" spar with ur coach or someting just to get a feel of how sparring is.

flyingknee16 said:
Yes, hitting mitts is a lot different than sparring. Shit, I would hope that maybe you could even just lightly "tit for tat" spar with ur coach or someting just to get a feel of how sparring is.

yea it's good to develop both skills "in parallel" than "in series" b/c focus mitts isn't really a prerequisite of sparring.

alot depends on how you progress in your training like if you spar to soon to hard it can make you gunshy. Look at how you are progressing in your technique then try to find someone who will work with you like let you throw punches while he works defense then vice versa. Neevr rush anything

Shit man. I went into a gym and asked the trainer if I could train. I told him that I wanted to train in boxing to help my MMA game. He had me sparr a 19 year old stud that had been boxing for 3-4 years on my second day in the gym. Needless to say I got picked apart. I had sparred before, but never with boxers. It was one hell of a wake up call. Nothing like getting used to the water than diving right in right?

My coach head us sparring the first day. Saw what we got and what we had to work on.

it was about 2 weeks for me. i think our coach does not like wasting time on guys who are going to end up being afraid in there so he throws you into the flames early to see how you respond to contact. i think it is a good idea to make sure that this kid or guy is ready though first, he does that rather well as i see some people take months before any sparring. another thing is control, often you will be too wild to spar with only, say 60-70% contact so you need to wait for some control.

I cant help but feel like my coach has no faith in me, haha. Yesterday a lot of people were doing body work at the end of class. He told some of the other students who started when I did to do body work, but just kinda left me standing there so I left. Ha... I must just suck. Not at boxing but just in general.

pretty much right away, the coaches corrected my technique then told me that I should spar with some of their heavyweights.

A matter of days really. He asked me if I wanted to, I didnt, but I said I did. Sparring isnt that bad as long as your not with a total jackass, its a rreally good workout too.

wow you guys sparred much sooner than I did. O well I was at fairtex and classes were like 1-3 people (they don't seem to be a fan of boxing) and many times I had no sparring partner till my coach moved to the gym (and me as well). I thought 1-2 months was already as early as it should be, but I guess not.

I wanted to go right away, but the coach held me back for 1 month.

I started after three lessons, I asked around the gym and they said if he feels I'm ready then I can spar.

I sparred against a guy with about 4 years experience but he went real easy. Good experience. I think it was the fact that we were going to spar lightly which let me start early.

For boxing, we just learned the basics of offensive and defensive techniques then did light sparring after about three weeks. I only started any kind of fight training in Nov. 2004 but I've sparred many many times since then. This weekend was my first tournament though, and I got clobbered. My opponent had 2 yrs experience on me and outweighed me but still (they put 2-3 months experience on their application..heh). Tournaments, sparring, and shadowboxing/target-mit practice are all totally different.

it all depends. It's a mistake though to start right away, b/c u won't learn anything except on how to get beat up. We have goofs who come to my dad's boxing class at our local Golds Gym, do a few, then think they're ready to go to the boxing club and spar, only to get ripped apart. Some people are naturals and can start sparring early (as in a month or so) but most people need more than that to get ready. So, so many people think they look good on the bags or mitts, then start to cry when they're getting hit back.

lots of coaches suck, so they'll put anyone in right away as either fresh meat for their veterans or b/c they're just stupid.

Day one, and i learned a lesson i'll never forget, i thought i could do a Mike Tyson but what i really needed to do was move around and fight more tactically like RJ does, took a few well placed jabs for me to learn that, but im a fast learner ......... that was 9 years ago.

Kamehameha said:
It's a mistake though to start right away, b/c u won't learn anything except on how to get beat up.
Good post, but I like that quote best. Don't be in a rush for things, you'll get there if you stick with it.

One thing to remember is that everyone is different. Some people pick up mechanical type things like boxing faster than others, just in the sense that some people can pick up analytical type things like statistics up faster than others.

How soon you spar is also dependent on how often you train. A guy who only shows up twice a week will not get in the ring as fast as someone coming every weekday.

I just wanted to know how long it took before the boxers started sparring at their gym. I've been going to a gym for a little while now and I'm just wondering when I'll start sparring.
My coach had me sparring the first day directly after being gassed after running 2 miles. He lines all the boxers up on the out side of the ring and would pick people with similar skill levels. I dominated guys with the same experience so he put me in with guys with 1-2 years experience who compete. The first 3 days I was getting beat up the next week after I learned how to take the jab away I started to dominate the guys with 1-2 years experience.It was a fun experience being scared anxiety and overcoming the fear.

Back