Bought an elliptical - Healthrider H45E

CoolB

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just did a search and found a few elliptical posts and about 50/50 positive to negative replies so I assume there is a group of people that don't like these machines. It is what is it and I've got one and want to make the best of it and I'm hoping there are some helpful sherbro's that will give insight, tips and tricks.

I'm not a big fat slob at all but I am a bit over weight and never work out aside from an average of 2 18 hole rounds of disc golf a week. I've got the energy to work out and that's what I want to focus on first. Secondly will be my eating habits which are terrible some days. I don't have a lot of restraint when I'm hungry or just bored.

Here's my machine
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/healthrider-h45e-elliptical-trainer-0847873p.html#srp
HREL55913c-57602.jpg

I know there's no be all and end all to using this machine but I'm interested in perspectives. How do you use an elliptical? Would you recommend a slow start or just go right at it full speed? What do you do to stay properly hydrated? Do you eat first or after? Drink a protein shake? Add a pinch of salt to my water?

I've only done 2 days on the machine so far. I've been doing 20 minutes on a preset calorie workout (rather than a performance workout). The machine controls the resistance and such with me running at my conform level. I've been doing 15 minutes of a good run with the last 5 minutes I go as hard as I can but is that good? Should I do more but shorter spurts of going all out mixed in with slow cool downs? I've also been putting a pinch of salt with my water because I've been told it will give me the electrolytes without the sugar from stuff like Gatorade.

I think I've rambled long enough. Anyone have any help for a complete newbie that wants to trim some pounds and just feel better.

P.S. I'm not a gym guy and I'm not ready for pavement running yet.

Thanks for reading this everyone!

Welp, I'll talk to myself then LOL. Anyone wants to chime in that'd be great.

I've decided on a 20 minute routine that I found on youtube.

So far it's a bit too intense for me. I had to take a few 1-2 minute rests the first time I did it but I'll build up the cardio eventually.

Cool! I am going to get an elliptical for me soon too, but I can't decide which one is better. Maybe you can recommend me something? I have found some really interesting options on https://homus.org/best-elliptical-under-500/ and I think I will get one of those. What do you think about them?

Last edited:
I think you have a great approach in regards to your training. You keep it short, but intense and are aware of your limits.

Keep doing it and try to find different type of training to add variety and prevent boredom.

i used to use an exercise bike, with burst of high intensity followed by a regular pace. It was really good workout. I would imagine this machine is similar.

Cool! I am going to get an elliptical for me soon too, but I can't decide which one is better. Maybe you can recommend me something?
To be honest the one I bought came up on sale from $1800 down to $700 so it was an impulse buy sort of. I knew I wanted an elliptical and had tried the display of this model. For the price I didn't even bother trying the other models. That said this thing is incredible smooth to use. Its very comfortable. I'm 41 and have standard aches and pains and this machine does not trigger any of them. I'd never buy it full price though. Seems over priced. Its well made but seems bare bones to me. No Bluetooth. Just a 3.5 connection. Built in speaker is pretty low quality. The preset workout apps (18) seem good but I'll probably go with manual setting mostly.

I think you have a great approach in regards to your training. You keep it short, but intense and are aware of your limits.
Keep doing it and try to find different type of training to add variety and prevent boredom.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I think I'll try the built in calorie and performance apps occasionally in between this routine I'm trying right now just to keep it different once in a while.

i used to use an exercise bike, with burst of high intensity followed by a regular pace. It was really good workout. I would imagine this machine is similar.
Yup but maybe a bit easier on the body.

Cheers!

Back