Boredom, BJ Penn and Bertrand Russell

GordoBarraBJJ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Interesting read:

https://www.musttriumph.com/entry/boredom

"From the UFC film crew, his former teammates, to the president of the UFC, Dana White himself, have all witnessed Penn's lackluster training. He is a prodigy, and sometimes that means only wanting to do things that come easy, and not the hard things that feel like work."

Figured it would go over a bit better in the mayberry as opposed to the moron festival that is the UFC forum.

Actually a pretty decent read. Thanks.

Figured it would go over a bit better in the mayberry as opposed to the moron festival that is the UFC forum.
I, for one, love arguing with the morons in the Heavies. But you're right, the average quality of post will be higher.

Still gonna get some morons though.

Odd to see Bertrand Russell mentioned in the same sentence as BJ Penn.

The best way to overcome it … is to make your interests gradually wider and more impersonal, until bit by bit the walls of the ego recede, and your life becomes increasingly merged in the universal life. An individual human existence should be like a river: small at first, narrowly contained within its banks, and rushing passionately past rocks and over waterfalls. Gradually the river grows wider, the banks recede, the waters flow more quietly, and in the end, without any visible break, they become merged in the sea, and painlessly lose their individual being. The man who, in old age, can see his life in this way, will not suffer from the fear of death, since the things he cares for will continue

Read and find out why

I read it. Good article.

David Foster Wallace also used to talk about the importance of allowing yourself to be bored, trusting there will be something worthwhile on the other end of it

Last edited:
I, for one, love arguing with the morons in the Heavies. But you're right, the average quality of post will be higher.

Still gonna get some morons though.
I like bugging the platinum and conor fans (ronda fans are gone)

But something like this actually requires some knowledge beyond "head clean off" "13 seconds" "Platinum in 2018" etc..

Fascinating insight. I'd go far as to add guys like Hendricks as a more recent example who let his accolades and past accomplishments get to his head, and totally forgot the work ethic that got him to the top.

i read his book
bj claims he never trained lazy
but sometimes trained a bit stupid
hes no longr good now due to his loss of hand speed and reaction time

Interesting read:

https://www.musttriumph.com/entry/boredom

"From the UFC film crew, his former teammates, to the president of the UFC, Dana White himself, have all witnessed Penn's lackluster training. He is a prodigy, and sometimes that means only wanting to do things that come easy, and not the hard things that feel like work."
We didn't have to read that entire article to realize he is a quitter. The whole world knows. You don't need a shrink to explain it.

Just kidding, wouldn't be a philosopher which interests me particularly but based on the title alone I will check it out. Could be a load of shite though.

Back