Boon 16oz Glove

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
[YT]La-Z-yrgEvE[/YT]

Welcome, to the Boon 16oz glove review!
1st off let me say, I have tried a few Thai gloves at this point in time.
And if I had to sum up Boon in 1 simple, little word... it would be "Underrated"
Now, I got these off E-bay with the help of my friend Shihtzu.
He saw it on sale off auction, so I decided to play after he decided to sit the auction out. So yeah, Thai glove, Muay Thai-fighting, sweet!
Auction ended at $49 bucks with shipping!

Ok, so put some rounds on the gloves, how are they? Why are they underrated, what makes Boon so special?

Lets read and find out!

The look:
Really nice red on the Boons, great stitch work, very excellent and tasteful print on the glove. Looking at it, boxing gloves included it is probably one of the more tasteful and classic looking logos. I like it a lot! I notice that the inner thumb, and the outside cuff area have a different look to the leather than the rest of the glove. Otherwise, everything looks neat and in place. The glove is a bit wide, it is not a narrow glove, the cuff is about medium sized, it is definitely not a compact glove, nor is it a long glove either.

The Leather:
The Color of the leather is pretty damn good, one of the best Reds Ive seen but the leather itself if I had to rate it is a solid 8.0. Now, Its a little grainy, its pretty smooth but it is missing that Reyes like Feel, and that smell.

On the cuff and the inner thumb, I want to say the leather resembles like Bonded leather/composite leather. I don't think the entire thing is genuine leather. It looks visibly different than the rest of the glove. It even feels different.

The Fit:
Very, very comfortable. Great 1st, IMO I probably enjoy it so much because it resembles more of a western boxing glove than the thai gloves Ive tried. The thumb is almost ideal, it sits really well, It falls short of Winnings thumb placement for sure, but it is NOTHING like Cletos placement.

Easy to open hand, easy to make fist, great position on the grip bar.

Despite being 16oz, the hand compartment is rather small IMO. While it fits my hand damn near perfect, someone like GUS (GHVA) will NOT fit in this glove. Minow/Shihtzu may also experience issues with long fingers.

The laces though just a minor detail are a bit shorter than I'd like, yes its a 2 dollar fix, but they go around the wrist only once :(

The Glove does not feel 16oz at all, so I goto weigh it... Yeah 14oz. Bummer. Anyhow, I send pictures to Muay Thai Fighting.com and tell them the glove is underweight. They said thanks for letting them know, and they shipped on another pair free! Free shipping, free gloves no questions asked... Talk about Outstanding customer service! I cant even dock them now on this review because of that!
Ok! so the palm has Reyes like Inner palm/cuff padding which I adore! Excellent work by boon on this department!

The liner feels soft, it works well. I still can't get over the fact these where under $50 with shipping included.

The wrist is very rigid, it is kept remarkably straight. I still can't fathom how anyone could rate any model of fairtex other than the bgv9 or bgl7 above boon. They are insane. Hopefully this review sets that straight.

Vs the fairtex bgl5 the boon is far, far superior in every aspect. The leather comparison is a wash IMO.

Protection:
The protection on the boons is really great! Great padding it's very absorbent, very protective and is great at mitigating shock to the user. The padding isn't too big or too overdone. I would rate the padding a solid 8 for sure.

The weight:
It came under but because of that I'm getting another pair of gloves so I will do a follow up to see if the new gloves come in on weight.

Overall:
I'm scratching my head wondering why these gloves are underrated. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would rate fairtex above these. Other than the BGV9 all the other fairtex models fell completely short of this glove. I think for boxers, this is a great glove nothing about this glove will feel un familiar. You can get these at title for like 59.99 I think still. While this glove isn't really the best in any area it is a great B+ glove and for the price it's really hard to beat! This glove doesn't really have a weakness either though.

Score: 89% / B+
For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
do5f.jpg

g15x.jpg

we7m.jpg

The "Fixed" Pair

8raq.jpg

nfw8.jpg

pgx3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review as always! Thanks!
I don't think Boons are "underrated" though, as everyone who's used them seems to love them. I just think they're not as well known as the big Thai brands (Twins, Fairtex, Top King)... yet! :)

I think they are and people have stated in the last that they are just okay which couldn't be further from the truth.

...moreso than when I read your S2 review. The detailed pics on Esstwos were, **ugh**:eek:

Strato,

About the padding. Spar in these no problem? Kinda redfaced when guys feel knuckles.
That said, I'll keep the BGL7 for the mitts and see how the BGL3 fares.
And the support, you said the wrist is very rigid. Is it because the padding by the laces is stiff or is it thick?

Wes posted pics of the brown grain from the new batch. Very handsome.
$50 is a steal.

Another top notch review.

Sly I'm confused by your 1st statement hehe.

But yeah boons are really good gloves not great but definitely really good. I did the review because I think fairtex gets a pass for being great when only the bgv9/bgl7 are the only great glove fairtex makes IMO.

I love the bgv9 (fairtex)

Yes you can spar in the boons no problem. The leather is different on the cuff so it's very rigid in a good way. It's because of what I think is the different leather coupled by the additional padding and the Reyes like inner wrist padding.

Yeah I am honestly impressed with boon. I'm not blown away but I am definitely taken back with how good it was for the price. $50 bucks... I mean the only gloves these will contend with are the R2C MIMs which are 10 more.

So yeah people looking to get 2 pairs of gloves for around 100 bucks boon may be the gloves for you.

Ah for your statement you are talking about the Fighting Sports S2. Gotcha!

I've never seen a red pair of Boons--I think I actually like them better than the classic brown ones. I'm glad you liked them, Strat.

Yeah I want the classic boon brown in Velcro for sure!

Great review Strat!

I own the browns in 16 and 14. I also feel the leather on the thumb and back of the wrist was second tier versus the leather used on the hitting surface. Cost cutting I supposed. I agree with you that these are underrated gloves for the price. They feel good on your hands.

My ranking on Thai gloves is similar to yours:

Fairtex BGV1 < Fairtex BGV5 < Boon < Fairtex BGL6

Could be that I prefer the western or mexican style cut than the traditional Thai style. I do feel that Fairtex uses better material in general and the fit and finish is better though.

Does anyone know how they compare to the Fairtex BGL3?

I am not familar with the 3, so far only the 9 beats boon imo. But even still the bgv9 isnt really a sparring glove so again Boon is probably better overall.

Glad u agree Dan!

Last edited:
I think they are and people have stated in the last that they are just okay which couldn't be further from the truth.

I think the mixed reviews were from a few years ago when Boon was still working out the kinks in its production quality and consistency (different dimensions, the white powder issue, etc.) In the last year or two, I've only heard good things from Boon owners -- enough to get me interested in maybe getting a pair next time I need some gloves. :)

Yeah man, they make a delicious chocolate brown. I love the look on them and especially the newest batch that wes took pics of and uploaded to Sherdog. Amazing. The only thing is, they are small fitting which I love but make sure you don't have large hands as I foresee them fitting tight and not right.

Yeah man, they make a delicious chocolate brown. I love the look on them and especially the newest batch that wes took pics of and uploaded to Sherdog. Amazing. The only thing is, they are small fitting which I love but make sure you don't have large hands as I foresee them fitting tight and not right.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Great review, though ive used them in velcro this makes me want a lace up pair and i believe this review made up my mind on my next glove purchase.

Yeah I'm on the other side of the fence hehe I want the Velcro! And the lovely brown!

Great review Strat!

I own the browns in 16 and 14. I also feel the leather on the thumb and back of the wrist was second tier versus the leather used on the hitting surface. Cost cutting I supposed. I agree with you that these are underrated gloves for the price. They feel good on your hands.

My ranking on Thai gloves is similar to yours:

Fairtex BGV1 < Fairtex BGV5 < Boon < Fairtex BGL6

Could be that I prefer the western or mexican style cut than the traditional Thai style. I do feel that Fairtex uses better material in general and the fit and finish is better though.

IMO BGL6 < Boon

Broke a knuckle wearing BGL6 12s

Love my Boons although I use my winnings almost exclusively now

Back