Bombs from Uganda:

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So the other day I mentioned "my African" in that other thread to 4dalulz, I believe. I've been training a fighter who came here from Uganda for a year and a half. At first he was with a Cuban trainer whose heart just wasn't into training people anymore. And before that in Uganda all he was taught was to swarm forward and throw a billion punches. He's com a LONG way since then. Had some ups and down, but I feel that he's about to really hit his stride based on how he's been looking in the Gym, and the quality of opponents he's had (almost no one he fought COULDN'T fight well).

This is Shaun Walusimbi, the man we call "Bommu" (Bomb):

(The audio for this is low so you might need to turn the volume way up or use headphones):

After a few months of development, and I think 3 or 4 fights, this was the first time I allowed him to spar a local journeyman Pro:

And here's this:

In his first tournament this happened:

From there he's been robbed a few times. We suspect because he's new to the Amateur scene and because they almost automatically know he's not a citizen. But we keep pressing on because it's about getting better. Lately we've really been leveling up his game in the Gym, which has produced some very interesting sparring sessions:

And here's his last fight. He lost the decision, but they got "Bout of the Night" and it was his first time being honored with an extra award. He also did some things in this fight he'd never done, like stand his ground and battle. He can hit hard, but had a lot of reservations about getting hit. This was the first time it LOOKED like he didn't give a shit:

The other kid's trainer is Alvaro Morales, who some of you may remember from videos of mine way back. I don't mind taking an L from him when appropriate, he's a very good trainer.

How does the politics of boxing come into play regarding decision losses and his citizenship status exactly? He won't file some sort of complaint because he's not from here or something?

How does the politics of boxing come into play regarding decision losses and his citizenship status exactly? He won't file some sort of complaint because he's not from here or something?

He could file a complaint because he's registered with USA Boxing. They're just not likely to give a shit because he's not a citizen. He can't participate in National level tournaments, and can't go to the Olympics for the U.S., so in their eyes there's no real reason to start in-fighting over shitty decisions against a non-factor.

Uganda is in East Africa. How does this Ugandan fair against the West Africans?

thats amazing, great work Sin he's looking like a killer.

Congratulations to sean hes a good guy i am glad to see he is closer to achieving his dreams and he has been working hard for it. i am still watching all the videos but great thread bump and lots of respect

Uganda is in East Africa. How does this Ugandan fair against the West Africans?

Not quite sure how to answer that since we're in the U.S., but Uganda had a very strong boxing program for many years. Most of their Champions, Mugabi, Juuko, Kassim Ouma, Sharif Bogere, all trained by the same person who unfortunately recently passed away. But that dude was capable of making World level fighters with next to nothing, he just didn't LIKE Shaun very much. lol

So he came here. Right now, though, he's been sparring and competing with high-level U.S. Amateurs. I think he'd fare well.

thats amazing, great work Sin he's looking like a killer.

Congratulations to sean hes a good guy i am glad to see he is closer to achieving his dreams and he has been working hard for it. i am still watching all the videos but great thread bump and lots of respect

Was he just beginning with me when you visited? I wanna say so.

Was he just beginning with me when you visited? I wanna say so.
i think so, just starting out with you anyway.
I keep wanting to come back but my life has ADD (maybe i just have ADD) but now i am in rural china (right exactly now i am in HK) having a baby with a local and opening a school for teaching english. All that came together pretty much by chance too, gotta say i am a little jelly watching your videos your guys are so good and you know how to teach. here in china selling cardio boxing is a huge thing and its everywhere pretty much as long as your cut they think you are qualified to teach boxing and every gym claims to be able to teach boxing.

anywhoo is it just me or does bomb and mccallum have a similar build? i don't know about mindset i was too struck by fanboyism to talk to McCallum much while was at Toccos

He does resemble Mike at 147.

Man, that's some gig. And congrats on the kid. I always thought I could teach English well because I'm magical with accents. I used to translate between Sharif (Ugandan), Mike (Patois) and this dude Rodge from Ireland (but spoke like Mickey from Snatch, Pikey cockney). No idea how I could understand them all but I could. Maybe some day.

Somewhere in China, though, good boxing is happening. Zou Shiming can fight, as well a few of the other Olympians. And I heard they hired some Cuban trainers.

that occurred to me while i was watching the vids, is he physically resembles a young mike and he has the power in hands as well. now you a student of mike get to sculpt something new. maybe i am just a kung fu nerd looking for connections but that all seems so zen or whatever to me

Thanks man. you could teach english you have the one tool that separates you from a lot of people which is you know how to teach not just repeat. i think me and you talked about this but a lot of coaches/ gym guys/ fighters don't really know how to teach or go out of their way o learn how to teach and that is a big problem when it comes to developing students.

also you could clean up here in china man teaching english or boxing. when i came to vegas i couldn't rub two pennies together now i am one of the highest earners of my friends.

Back