Boeing's Been Granted A Patent For Turning The B-1B Into A Gunship Bristling With Cannons

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

U.S. Patent 9,963,231 B2 was awarded on May 8th to Boeing. It depicts a number of cannon configurations that can be stowed in a B-1B's weapons bays and extended down outside of those bays for use. Our good friend and marvelous patent sleuth Stephen Trimble of Flightglobal.com was the first to find the patent.

The patent certainly envisions different concepts that could be used to convert the 'Bone' into a heavy-hitting gunship without making many if any permanent changes to its existing configuration or outer mold-line. The cannons are shown mounted in various manners with elaborate mechanisms that allow them to tuck neatly inside the B-1B.
One includes a trapeze-like system that is mounted inside the aircraft's cavernous weapons bays, and when the bay doors open it drops down and is turreted to fire in different directions. The other shows a few variants of a semi-recessed mounting configuration where the guns drop down into a semi-recessed fairing installed on the belly of the aircraft and are fired sideways from that position.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...he-b-1b-into-a-gunship-bristling-with-cannons

latest

oh, and greets brothers, i have returned from the warp......

If we already have the AC120 spectre, why we need another gunship?

If this can be fired accurately it could reduce collateral damage.

It will certainly not do as much damage some of the bombs this plane can carry.

This plane was designed to be a low level penetrator. I however thought this plane would be mainly used with large ordinance.

you know, i have never seen you online on my discord. invited you Rama.
I know, and thank you. @Strychnine have me the info; tbh I can't remember if I figured out my burner email address info to even signed up or not. I guess I'm a one forum guy :D I'll try and dig it up; would love to see some less contentious chat for once.

I know, and thank you. @Strychnine have me the info; tbh I can't remember if I figured out my burner email address info to even signed up or not. I guess I'm a one forum guy :D I'll try and dig it up; would love to see some less contentious chat for once.
i know you game, so get that fixed and get in there! i brought Zer now you need to get in there, you got a mic an headset?

That looks sweet. Wonder how it will perform.

From what I read, it is supposed to be for dog fighting, which was an idea we rejected.

thats weird, we didnt really reject it. Drone buddys are still the in the works but for 6th gen and will be tested on 5th gen. I can give you stuff on our program. A lot of the Chinese crap, seems very rushed. J-20 is a good example which was already detected by a Indian made Su-30 lol

Back