Body Triangle defense?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
How do you get out of body triangle?

Roll towards the foot as hard as you can and watch them scream as it snaps in half on the mat

Get them turned so the body triangle is on the lower side and step your foot over the straight leg if they haven't hidden it behind your leg already. You want to use your leg to stop them opening the triangle.

Tap them by pushing the knee of the leg across your body away as you turn your hips in to the ankle of that leg. The pressure on their trapped foot should ankle lock them against their own leg a bit like the ankle lock you on people who cross their feet.

Worse case scenario they don't tap but bail on the body triangle.

The ankle-lock counter can work, but:
  • It's fairly easy to see coming and just switch sides on the triangle
  • Difficult to actually finish a determined opponent with
  • Creating the momentum necessary to roll their triangle to the bottom risks them adding a small push and putting you on your belly, which with a locked body triangle is basically death

Seriously just roll hard towards the foot under the knee, the pressure of the foot hitting the mat will force them to break the body triangle.

• Creating the momentum necessary to roll their triangle to the bottom risks them adding a small push and putting you on your belly, which with a locked body triangle is basically death
I've used it white through brown and caught black belts with it at various lower belts. Even the most stubborn guy won't tend to ignore it if you have enough torque on the foot and knee as its a little heel hook-ish. I don't roll their triangle i bridge back on to the them then try to shift to the low side like most escapes on the underhook side clearing their head if possible.

It works very well for me but if your experience is different fair enough.

I try to shuck them off to a side, like a hula hoop. The body triangle is a fairly static control compared to hooks, if you can get then off center you can work on spinning them to a closed guard or get them to open up and reset.

I also agree that the ankle lock isn't too effective IRL.

I try to shuck them off to a side, like a hula hoop. The body triangle is a fairly static control compared to hooks, if you can get then off center you can work on spinning them to a closed guard or get them to open up and reset.

I also agree that the ankle lock isn't too effective IRL.

What how can you shuck them off if it's tight triangle

I've used it white through brown and caught black belts with it at various lower belts. Even the most stubborn guy won't tend to ignore it if you have enough torque on the foot and knee as its a little heel hook-ish. I don't roll their triangle i bridge back on to the them then try to shift to the low side like most escapes on the underhook side clearing their head if possible.

It works very well for me but if your experience is different fair enough.

I don't think I've ever seen someone get out of the body triangle in UFC using that though

What how can you shuck them off if it's tight triangle

Its not impossible, Shawn Williams shows one way, you can use gravity to do the dirty work from a tripod, you can do forward rolls, etc.

Having trouble with this move and similar variations. I recently picked up bjj (No Gi) and have been struggling to get myself out of situations where I'm in the opponents guard. Without being able to effectively maneuver my way out the guard or counter their moves I'm not able to compete with the majority of the men at this point - especially the bigger dudes. I decided to avoid rolling/practicing with the stronger guys in hopes to improve my technique and progress to "beginner" status. Given I'm only about 5'8 and 135-140lbs, I was recommended to practice with some of the more experienced women and younger guys who are in my weight bracket or just below. However, I keep running into the same problems. Two of the women (mid 30's) in particular have mastered that body triangle/teepee squeeze on me and it often causes unbearable pain in my lower ribs. In coping with that, it leads to being open to triangles, arm bars etc. and effectively ruins my ego. Offensively I am not bad at all tend to be successful on that end but I cannot stand consistently losing to these two women; even though they have some experience on me. After receiving advice - It seems like my posture, overall strength and inexperience is the cause of this but what else can I do to start passing guard submissions and get on the offensive? Tricks, secrets? Appreciate it!

Hook the leg, gable grip behind the achilles, torque an ankle lock. Get choked to sleep. Works like a charm.

Would also add just push on the back of the guy's head so he can't arch and casually change sides.

Having trouble with this move and similar variations. I recently picked up bjj (No Gi) and have been struggling to get myself out of situations where I'm in the opponents guard. Without being able to effectively maneuver my way out the guard or counter their moves I'm not able to compete with the majority of the men at this point - especially the bigger dudes. I decided to avoid rolling/practicing with the stronger guys in hopes to improve my technique and progress to "beginner" status. Given I'm only about 5'8 and 135-140lbs, I was recommended to practice with some of the more experienced women and younger guys who are in my weight bracket or just below. However, I keep running into the same problems. Two of the women (mid 30's) in particular have mastered that body triangle/teepee squeeze on me and it often causes unbearable pain in my lower ribs. In coping with that, it leads to being open to triangles, arm bars etc. and effectively ruins my ego. Offensively I am not bad at all tend to be successful on that end but I cannot stand consistently losing to these two women; even though they have some experience on me. After receiving advice - It seems like my posture, overall strength and inexperience is the cause of this but what else can I do to start passing guard submissions and get on the offensive? Tricks, secrets? Appreciate it!

Beyond technique, you should bulk up. I'm 5'3, 140 lbs and I still feel I'm about 5 lbs underweight or so. You're definitely undersized and it makes a huge difference. Also the frustration you have from losing to girls is hindering your progress. Frustration leads to poor technique and makes you spaz. If you don't have much experience and you're undersized, it shouldn't be a shocker that experienced girls will tap you. You don't really have any kind of advantage on them. There's a female brown belt who always mauls me, and it's not really a big deal. She's just way, way better than me. What are you gonna do.

It's hard to describe with words, but if on your side you need to swing your top leg backwards/sideways to get your top hip outside of his top hip. That's the first step. From there just do normal back escape.

Back